God I am getting old!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If passed, the renovation project would revamp the nearly 30-year-old city-owned Talking Stick Resort Arena, the oldest arena in the NBA that is not currently undergoing renovations, between 2019 and 2021.

I remember walking through the brand new doors of the stadium. I still think of it as "new" in my mind! 30 years old! Wow! :eek:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
25 years. Opened in 92-93. Still isn't that long ago. These owners get greedy real fast, for the bone reflecting in the water.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
25 years. Opened in 92-93. Still isn't that long ago. These owners get greedy real fast, for the bone reflecting in the water.
When they broke ground for America West Arena, Veterans Memorial Coliseum was the same age as Talking Stick is now. It is that long ago. You are just old.

The planning for America West Arena started in 1988. Veterans Memorial Coliseum was built in 1965.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
When they broke ground for America West Arena, Veterans Memorial Coliseum was the same age as Talking Stick is now. It is that long ago. You are just old.

The planning for America West Arena started in 1988. Veterans Memorial Coliseum was built in 1965.

Whenever I drive by that place I’m amazed it housed an NBA team. I remember going there as a child to Roadrunner games and thought it was a puny dump back then too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man I remember the madhouse on McDowell vividly. As a 5 or 6 year old my dad made me or my brother ask bill walton to get out of my courtside seat. Man my eyes went wide when he stood up. My poor dad had suffer constant whining because he wouldn’t buy my brother and me those mini basketballs they sold at the arena. We were relentless and never prevailed.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I remember the madhouse on McDowell vividly. As a 5 or 6 year old my dad made me or my brother ask bill walton to get out of my courtside seat. Man my eyes went wide when he stood up. My poor dad had suffer constant whining because he wouldn’t buy my brother and me those mini basketballs they sold at the arena. We were relentless and never prevailed.

Talk about a great memory.

My first playoff game attended was at the Madhouse in the conference semis versus the Warriors. Fun times.

Also saw an NHL game there that winter - NHL played a few regular season games there (

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I went to the preseason game at the Madhouse when Horny was coach. Great to see the place again. My first game was there in the early-mid 80s with my dad. I remember parking near the arena and noticing all the palm trees. The last Suns game I saw there was November ‘91. The team’s last season there and the first visit by then-rookie Larry Johnson. “Grandmama” feels about right.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I found out that, by not using the main entrance on Encanto Blvd. into the parking lot, but rather the side entrance on 19th Ave., you could avoid the traffic and get a spot right near the entrance of the arena. After the game, two minutes after reaching your car, you were out on the street and on your way home.

Speaking of Horny, one of my favorite moments at the Madhouse on McDowell was when Horny came downcourt after a steal and, for the only time in an NBA game, he tried to dunk. And failed.

He put his head down and walked toward the sideline 3-point line, right near where I was seated with my young son. The Suns got the offensive rebound, passed it to Horny and he calmly sunk the '3'. The Madhouse went bonkers for Horny. I have tears in my eyes as I'm typing this. An arena full of fans feeling the low and high that Jeff had just gone through.

Cotton's "paper boy" (for his youthful appearance) had warmed our hearts.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I miss the madhouse. First game was a heart break hotel in the 1980 playoffs against the Lakers.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's along time dude. It's needs a face lift bad nothing is high def it's all badly outdated.

The scoreboard up top is laughable. Have you been in the club lately? It's the same as it was 20 years ago. Horrible