Globe Columinist suspended for remarks about Kid's Wife, does Punishment fit Crime?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just read an article about a reporter from the Boston globe being punished for saying Kid's wife shoud be hit for trying to make herself and her kid the center of attention all the time. Although I agree he should be punished to some extent for saying that Kid's wife should be hit , I find it somewhat unsettling that he gets off worse than the person who actually hit his wife.

He received one months leave without pay which is going to hurt him alot more than the punishment that Kidd received from the Suns. The Nets also felt that the reporter should be fired and should not be allowed to report for any newspapers any more, basically saying he should have his career ruined. The Net's organization said they were outraged.

It's funny to me that the Nets didn't think Kidd hitting his wife was that bad and traded for him right after he did it but think this reporter is way below their moral standards. I guess according to the Nets, Kidd hitting his wife isn't nearly as bad as someone saying his wife should be hit?!?!

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
No, Bob Ryan is one of the classiest sports columnists in America. He made a mistake, he should get a mulligan.

The Nets also felt that the reporter should be fired and should not be allowed to report for any newspapers any more, basically saying he should have his career ruined. The Net's organization said they were outraged.

The same Nets who worship Jason Kidd...a man who actually did beat down his pregnant wife in front of his toddler? Go figure.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kidd's wife is a media *****. Always has been and always will be. She uses her husband's success to get herself a career. That being said, I still don't think it's right to say she deserves to be slapped, but the Nets are obviously over-reacting by trying to get the guy fired. I think this guy was just trying to get in Jason Kidd's head and maybe throw him off his game a little.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I saw an interview where Kidd said how it is wrong for someone to say that. Yes, it is Jason. But what's even more wrong is for someone to actually do it...

adam

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would like to see the fans ban together and raise this guy's salary for the month that he is losing it. Sure it as a wrong thing to say, but like someone else said saying it and doing it is two different things. If the Nets want to see him fired, they are total hypocrites because they are employing an admitted wife beater...dumb asses!!!

They should take Joumana and her huge headed child and not allow them so much media exposure. Dumb *****.

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
I think Ryan merely verbalized what a lot of people already think, heh.

The problem with verbalizing it even if it wasn't meant literally is that when you have a public spokesperson's position, it's can lead to inciting some wacko to actually act on the words.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way as jbeecham. The New Jersey Nets are obviously overreacting. They are also probably overdoing it in part to show Jason Kidd and his wife that they stand behind them. It would be ridiculous for Bob Ryan to be punished any more than he already has been.

That said, it was an absolutely stupid thing for Ryan to say. There really was no reason for it. Yes, Mrs. Kidd is a media *****, but saying he would like to slap her was wrong. He could have easily made his point without going that far.

Joe Mama

fordronken

Reaction score
Now for the obligatory joke:

Jason Kidd, after hearing the comments, responded by saying "Nobody hits my wife but me."

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fordronken
Now for the obligatory joke:

Jason Kidd, after hearing the comments, responded by saying "Nobody hits my wife but me."

:thumbup:

And another...

This just in... Jayson Williams, a former Nets player, feels just firing Bob Ryan is too light a punishment...in Jayson's own words..."He should be shot." :D

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Columnist Suspended for Kidd Comment

Wed May 7,10:40 AM ET

BOSTON - Boston Globe sports columnist Bob Ryan was suspended without pay for a month Tuesday for saying on television that Jason Kidd (news)'s wife needed someone to "smack her."

"Bob Ryan's comments were a clear and egregious violation of the standards (news - web sites) of The Boston Globe," Globe editor Martin Baron said in a statement. "Bob has been told in no uncertain terms that his remarks were offensive and unacceptable."

Ryan also was barred from appearing on radio or television for one month.

New Jersey Nets (news) coach Byron Scott urged the Globe to fire Ryan, who made the comments Sunday night on WBZ-TV's "Sports Final" show before the Nets and Celtics began their Eastern Conference semifinal series.

Kidd, the Nets' All-Star guard, said Boston fans insulted his wife and 3-year-old son during the playoffs last season. Kidd was taunted with chants of "wife beater," referring to 2001 charges, later dropped, that he hit his wife, Joumana.

Ryan made the comments as he and host Bob Lobel talked about the rematch and whether the Kidds will receive similar treatment when the teams go to Boston for Game 3 on Friday.

Ryan said Kidd should expect taunts from the crowd, then criticized the Kidds for using their son "as a prop" and called Joumana Kidd an "exhibitionist."

Then, in a comment that was not picked up clearly on tape, he said: "Oh, great. I mean she needs (inaudible) to smack her."

Lobel immediately interrupted Ryan, asking him to retract the statement.

"You just don't want to smack her, you don't mean to say that. No, do you, really? Tell me you don't," Lobel said.

"Why should I say anything different than I said all last playoffs last year," Ryan said.

But in a statement Tuesday, Ryan apologized for the "inappropriate and offensive remark."

"It was, of course, atrocious judgment on my part," he said. "I wish to state clearly that I am aware of the very real problem of violence against women in our society, and that in no way is it a joking matter."

Scott said Ryan "should be out of a job."

"Just tell him to come right in here and he can say that in front of me and Jason and some of our players," Scott said at practice in East Rutherford, N.J. "He'll see how well he'll be received."

Jason Kidd called the comments "unfortunate" and said his wife "felt sorry if she offended (Ryan) in any way."

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I mean really, the guy probably didn't even think about the domestic abuse issue when he was spouting off. We joke about slapping someone silly here at work all the time, but it doesn't mean we actually do it. It's a figure of speach. Just because someone has had an incident in their past, does that mean you can't use a figure of speach referring to them? Are they that sensitive that something someone else would shrug off, is horrendously offensive to them. The bad part is, her kid has been injured in the courtside seats, and I have seen her at games not even paying any attention to him while they sit in those highly hazardous seats. How come she can be such a horrible mother, in my opinion, and yet she is getting all the sympathy from this guy's quote, when 90% of what he said about her is true. I've heard my own mother say "someone oughta slap some sense into her" when she has seen someone letting their kids play where they shouldn't or be in a dangerous situation. Does that mean my mother is advocating domestic abuse? I don't think so. This is political correctness to an extreme! :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Just tell him to come right in here and he can say that in front of me and Jason and some of our players," Scott said at practice in East Rutherford, N.J. "He'll see how well he'll be received."

That sounds like a threat...maybe they should suspend Byron Scott as well. :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous. Bob Ryan is getting more of a punishment than Kidd did when Kidd actually did hit Joumana. :rolleyes:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would like to "hit" Joumana but in the good way. :D

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
I would like to "hit" Joumana but in the good way. :D

you want to tap that ass? I don't care how good she looks, she is a ***** :thumbup:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
you want to tap that ass? I don't care how good she looks, she is a ***** :thumbup:

I don't have to live with her. I would just leave a large order of fries behind to keep her and the kidd happy. :D

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd just like to chime in with my take from this 'I can't believe that these people aren't Iraqi with no sense of democracy or the rights we hold or just plain ol common sense'

Let me first state that I was a big fan of Jason Kidd. I don't hate him, I don't dislike him, rather I still respect his game as he is a basketball stud, and want the suns to beat him everytime.

I used to think Joumana was hot, except I always wondered what kind of hag she would look like without breast implants and a nose job. (and who knows what else)

What I do remember is she was the worst commentator for the suns jam session and all the little media things she did. But since she was eye candy, and our best player's wife, it was okay. (we all know who got her that job, and it wasn't her no-talent butt)

Then SHE, yes SHE, caused the incident. She was being annoying and her husband slapped her or whatever. YES HE WAS WRONG....BUT SO WAS SHE. He was very wrong to do what he did to her, but at the same time she DID NOT have to put a match to the gasoline if you know what I mean.

It takes two to tango

So what happens, the Suns embarrased, trade him, in essence because of her and her husband. She immediately TALKS SMACK about the Suns.

Geez it was a trade. I don't see wives mouthing off too much. Not when it ALL revolved around HER. Not when THEY gave her a GREAT job she should NEVER have had based on talent.

This is when I started realizing what kind of itch with a capital BEE she was. I know stand by your man. But she didn't have to. It was a lousy trade, c'mon. She should have known better. But the pompous butt she is, she showed her true colors. The same ones that led jason when coupled with his problems to hit her no less.

Then I hear about the outrageous demands she asks the Nets for. Developing a list and taking it up there to the president/or gm of the nets. What kind of pompous butt does she think she is? I mean its one thing to tell the gm hey we could use better parking, but to approach it in such a way as '60's women libers is crazy and wrong. I can just imagined her demeanor as she sat there on her HIGH HORSE demanding things.

After this I really haven't heard too much more, except I heard she said that if they wanted Jason to stay in New Jersey they had to market him more and better. GEEZ, pompous itch

But I'm sure there was more....I bet she acted this way at every nets home and away game.

She is a DRAMA QUEEN.

She brings out the worst in everybody, causes a drama, and all that, just so she can look good waving at the camera. It disgusts me.

So where do I stand on Bob Ryan's comments.

Well lets look here...Is this America?

I am not one of those that say if you are in this position or that, you cannot have free speech.....What the f is that?

THIS IS AMERICA REGARDLESS OF WHAT JOB YOU HAVE...RIGHT?

OF COURSE

Freedom of speech without reprisal is what...oh yeah the #1 right in the bill of rights.

Oh yeah, who cares about that old lame document. Apparently quite a few that matter.

I can see if someone says something, like a president, and he doesn't get voted in next time around. thats one thing. But then its the people deciding for themselves in majority that they don't want the person based on everything or that one thing. There is a clear distinction between that way and the globes handling. The fromer is right, the latter is wrong. Period.

For him to be suspended is ludicrous. He's gets paid for what?.....HIS OPINION...HE GAVE IT.

AND IT WASN"T IN THE PUBLICATION HE WRITES IN!!!!!!!

So that reality should give the editor or whatever less power or will to punish him.

Should he have said what he said the way he said it. NO. Do I understand and agree with his basic point without the punishment part of his comment. (punishment on her part in terms of hitting). YES I DO

He should have put it like...Throw water on her. Wake up from neverland. Come down to earth.

She is each and every one of them.

I hope one day she wakes up and smells the coffee and sees how stupid, immature, and flat out messed up she's been acting to people. The same people that give her the world like the suns did, jason kidd did, and now the nets.

Because of their kids I don't wish they break up. But if they ever did, I would hope she would fall on hard times in terms of the media shunning her, saying you can't do this job because you suck too bad at it. Have people tell her later that 'hey we only did it because you were kidd's wife, not because you're any good'....then that message be repeated by every media outlet she went to. REALITY CHECK

I guarantee if, or when jason leaves new jersey. Knowing how much the nets bent over backwards for her and kidd, she'll still find something to moan and complain about.

She's just a drama queen. Hopefully the media figures that out and starts avoiding her. Because she deserves nothing but the cold shoulder from everybody. After all she thinks she is better than everybody imo.

Another man's career brought down from the no-talent Joumana.

Another set of stupid people passing judgement on what was basically the truth. In the land of free speech no less. Hypocrites

Go SUNS!!!

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Ok, no matter how much I hate the Kidd family...you just cant say that you want to slap Joumana. Say it to you buddies in the office, but dont say it in a major newspaper (or even a small one.)

Yes the punishment fits the crime. How would you feel if someone said in a large paper that they would like to smack your wife? Hell, I'd like to smack her but there is NO WAY IN HELL im going to publish that fact if it could have an effect on my job.

It was a dumb thing to do. And he deserves what he got for being an idiot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I do think it was stupid for him to say that. Very stupid.

But, I am a little peeved about his punishment vs. Jason's punishment for doing the actual deed.

CardsFan88 put some blame on Joumana herself. Yes, she's a media ***** and annoying as hell. But there should be NO reason in hell for ANYONE to hit their wife. EVER.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
I do think it was stupid for him to say that. Very stupid.

But, I am a little peeved about his punishment vs. Jason's punishment for doing the actual deed.

CardsFan88 put some blame on Joumana herself. Yes, she's a media ***** and annoying as hell. But there should be NO reason in hell for ANYONE to hit their wife. EVER.

Agreed wholeheartedly

It was stupid for him to say that, just because its wrong to make statements like that morally.

BUT, he has the RIGHT to say it. Being an American, in America.

He does get paid for his opinions, and this opinion of his wasn't in his boston globe column.

It's one thing if he said it in his column. But it wasn't. So his job should not punish him whatsoever for something he said OFF THE JOB.

If he puts it in his column and his editor's/supervisors don't like it fine..They can deal with it as subpar job performance..But it wasn't in his column.

It is absolutely deplorable to hit your wife under any circumstances. I do feel he mislabled his feelings, he could have done it better.

But just because he didn't say it to many people's liking does not mean he should be punished. NO WAY.

What's next....
Criticize Bush on the air that you want to choke him, and have your job at say Intel is suspended. It's ridiculous.

FREE SPEECH IS FREE SPEECH, no matter if its about devils, witchcraft, prostitution, drugs, divorce, killing, murder, anything that brings out the best or worst or somewhere in between in a person.

Free speech isn't just allowed for what is moral.

It's guarenteed for all speech. But for him, it isn't? That's a double standard...and one that might be extended to everyone one day. Probably not, the sky isn't falling. But I'm just saying that it has to start somewhere.

HE HAS THE RIGHT TO SPEAK HIS MIND, WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT PERSECUTION.

....And he HAS been persecuted.

Does the first ammendment say right to free speech EXCEPT?

NO, it doesn't. PERIOD END OF STORY.

Anybody who thinks/acts otherwise is taking their feeling on his comments, and twisting everyones first ammendment rights to fit THEIR OPINION.

Saying their opinion is right, yours is wrong, and acting on the differnce by laying judgement if they differ is FAR WORSE IMO then saying what Bob Ryan said. End of story.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I totally disagree. In a public forum, in this case television, Ryan represents his paper. It's like that for all journalists. So it wasn't "off duty" so to speak. He was expressing an opinion on sports, which is what he does for the paper he works for. And, again, he represents the paper on television, radio and in print.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate
Ok, no matter how much I hate the Kidd family...you just cant say that you want to slap Joumana. Say it to you buddies in the office, but dont say it in a major newspaper (or even a small one.)

Yes the punishment fits the crime. How would you feel if someone said in a large paper that they would like to smack your wife? Hell, I'd like to smack her but there is NO WAY IN HELL im going to publish that fact if it could have an effect on my job.

It was a dumb thing to do. And he deserves what he got for being an idiot.

Actually according to first ammendment rights, he CAN say that.

Remember that right was specifically directed towards the press and also included the people.

So how can his comments in the press, which was specifically designed to be protected under the first ammendment be a crime?

Therefor there should be NO PUNISHMENT.

If he said it in his paper, his supervisors would have grounds to do something because they pay him, but he said it outside the scope of his employment.

I completely agree with your idea that if one wants to state something like that in such a way, they should do it in a more private setting like an office, but he didn't.

That's his choice, that HIS RIGHT!

Legally it doesn't matter who you are, if someone says something opinionwise about you, your wife, your dog, you cannot sue or do anything about it.

Would it suck. Hell yeah. But legally and rightfully so, nothing can be done about it.

If there was libel, which is stating untruths as truths and publishing it, yes. But he stated his opinion, which is completely different.

Libel is where you print Tom cruise is gay, we have pictures. And he really isn't.

Ryan should think about suing the globe. He won't because obviously he wants to be there. But what they did is illegal and immoral.

What ryan did was just immoral.

Which is the bigger one at fault?
The Boston Globe

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Uh, "free" speech is restricted in lots of ways. There are laws against blackmail, slander, and death threats. All of those theoretically could be protected under the banner of free speech, but aren't.

Free speech is not an absolute right.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
I totally disagree. In a public forum, in this case television, Ryan represents his paper. It's like that for all journalists. So it wasn't "off duty" so to speak. He was expressing an opinion on sports, which is what he does for the paper he works for. And, again, he represents the paper on television, radio and in print.

I see your point. It is one I didn't consider

But at the same time all that has to be done is for him to say his views are not the views of the boston globe, its employees or any subsidiaries.

You see that type of disclaimer on everything

I understand that point, but c'mon.

Everyone can speak for themselves

That sort of representation should be reserved for diplomats, not journalists. I know it is done that way for journalists, but its wrong.

He is only one part of a whole of the globe, not the president/ceo/editor etc.

He doesn't speak for them, even if he classicly 'represents' them.

Everyone with common sense understands that.

I know you understand that, I know 99.9% of people watching that show are not going to take it out on the Boston Globe, they'll form their opinions about ryan alone.

Besides that representation is more of a PLUG for the paper then anything else.

For every reader that for imo stupidly canceled their subscription, two were added because of the free marketing airtime given to them across the country.

I know there is still some link between the paper and him because if they form an opinion on him there and thus say I don't want to read that sport section anymore the paper still loses, but people should just be reasonable. Especially when it concerns our first ammendment.

Like I said I bet their subscription number has gone up since this came out.

Also lets not forget that even if we don't want to read a certain columnist, the majority of the sports page is not written by him.

I understand your point, I just think that link is overrated and should be reevaluated. After all once again it's meant nowadays more as a plug. Times change, but old ways come back to haunt him.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Uh, "free" speech is restricted in lots of ways. There are laws against blackmail, slander, and death threats. All of those theoretically could be protected under the banner of free speech, but aren't.

Free speech is not an absolute right.

No free speech is an absolute right.

The terms you gave are not free speech

Blackmail is usually not even speech related, it is extortion.

Slander is libel and I addressed that above.

Death threats are just that death threats.

But if someone said "in my opinion I wish bush died" then it would be okay.

If someone said "in my opinion I think Tom Cruise is gay" then it would be okay

But what Ryan said was not any of terms you labeled above. What he said IS PROTECTED.

Everything I have said on free speech has not been contradicted by your post.

I'm glad you posted it, just so I could clear it up. I welcome the questions. Good post.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan's contract with the Globe states he must get their permission before taking on outside work, such as TV, etc. He is also bound by that contract to represent himself at all times as an employee of the Globe.