Globe Columinist suspended for remarks about Kid's Wife, does Punishment fit Crime?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
Ryan's contract with the Globe states he must get their permission before taking on outside work, such as TV, etc. He is also bound by that contract to represent himself at all times as an employee of the Globe.

I thought about that, but since I didn't have the details, and I didn't think other people knew either I didn't post on that.

If that is the case, then they have the legal right to suspend him, but it still does not make it morally right to suspend him.

Even though what ryan said was morally wrong, it was legally right.

Like I said before, the globe is no doubt raking in more money from subscriptions or single day paper sales because of his comments.

But they still should have handled it better, like give him a warning. (But maybe he already has had one given to him)

It is definitely a messy situation.

I just wonder what joumana would say about his comment.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I do think it was stupid for him to say that. Very stupid.

But, I am a little peeved about his punishment vs. Jason's punishment for doing the actual deed.

I agree with you there..but thats how it is. Kidd is a money machine and the golden boy of the NBA while this guy is just a columnist. Realistically Kidd should have had more of a punishment. (Ok, much more.) But you have to look at it realistically. What Ryan said was flat out wrong and he's lucky that he didnt get fired. What Kidd did was 10000x worse BUT, once again, he is the Golden Boy of the NBA so its just considered a mistake.

Last edited:

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
One of the great examples in school about restricted freedom of speech was the old "You can't yell fire in a crowded theater". If it can incite injury don't say it.

I think the supreme court has been discussing a freedom of speech case. It’s regarding the anti-abortion group placing doctors on wanted posters as assassination targets on their website. They’ve even put “X’s” through the posters of doctors that have actually been murdered by whackos already. Clearly you have to be careful about not saying anything that may incite violence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard