Ghostbusters (reboot)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I liked 1 and 2. And the cartoon. So I will give this a chance. I expect I'll like it too.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes but not really as their characters as in this movie they don't exist as we knew them. They might use the same names (who knows) but it's pretty much the lamest kind of cameo there is.

Ok, so basically the girls make up the company Ghostbusters and the other older characters/movies never existed.

Edit: I guess that's what reboot means. :p

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Ok, so basically the girls make up the company Ghostbusters and the other older characters/movies never existed.

Edit: I guess that's what reboot means. :p

Except there is a proposal still out there for Ghostbusters 3, which would have the old cast pass the torch to a new generation. If that ever gets made, I am not sure how a shared universe would be possible.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except there is a proposal still out there for Ghostbusters 3, which would have the old cast pass the torch to a new generation. If that ever gets made, I am not sure how a shared universe would be possible.

Last I read that is dead. Mainly because it would conflict with them trying to continue the franchise with the new cast and reboot. I think the only way that idea gets revived is if this movie completely bombs.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Last I read that is dead. Mainly because it would conflict with them trying to continue the franchise with the new cast and reboot. I think the only way that idea gets revived is if this movie completely bombs.

Or...and hear me out...

They move forward with both franchises without explaining their connection for several movies. Then one day, the inter-dimensional macguffin bridges the gap between the two realities and the two teams meet up to fight a common enemy...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or...and hear me out...

They move forward with both franchises without explaining their connection for several movies. Then one day, the inter-dimensional macguffin bridges the gap between the two realities and the two teams meet up to fight a common enemy...

Far fetched but it could work if I cared one bit about this new version. Even if they meet up they would still have to maintain two different continuities of the franchise after the meetup. It will never happen.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, there's still a good chance it gets made? Yes !! :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Commentary on the new movie/trailer. Some language.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can't even describe how bad this movie will be.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll end up watching this movie at some point. Probably won't be in the theaters though

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I am not a big post-Gilmore Girls Melissa McCarthy fan, but I am a big fan of the other 3 comediennes. I am really hoping the trailers are more a reflection of the marketing department and not the quality of the movie. I really want to like it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reviews are going to have to be stellar to get me to see this in Theaters. The trailers are not doing ANYTHING for me.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have been there day one if it was Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast in one form or another (which was in talks for many years). Even if the old group was only in cameos and they were passing the torch to a new group. I could see that. I'd want to see that. This? I have been out since I first heard any details. Long before that trainwreck of a trailer was released.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have been there day one if it was Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast in one form or another (which was in talks for many years). Even if the old group was only in cameos and they were passing the torch to a new group. I could see that. I'd want to see that. This? I have been out since I first heard any details. Long before that trainwreck of a trailer was released.

I have to agree. Even if it was only cameos from a couple of the guys I would have been so much more willing to support even a mediocre movie. Once again the studio opts for a needless remake.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
it's ghostbusters.... but with chicks..... of course I will see it... not in a theater, but I will get the dvd for 14 bucks at wally world.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still sooooooooo excited to see this!

:fans:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Leslie Jones just is not funny at all every time she does anything in the 2 trailers I cringe.

Not worth a movie ticket IMO, I will probably watch it when it comes to HBO or whatever but otherwise it looks like a waste of time and I expect it to flop big time at the theaters.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I got passes to an early screening tonight. I am going to try to go (they oversell to ensure a full house).

I've read the director already has an extended cut ready to go for Blu-Ray. I am so sick of this! From Highlander 2 to Batman v. Superman, Director's Cuts have shown to be a superior product. But time-and-again, Studios make unnecessary and nonsensical edits in the name of run-time so that they can squeeze out one more showing per screen, per day. So you get a crap product that flames out after an initial surge. Don't you think a quality movie would have more longevity, and therefore, more profit potential?

So annoying.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh.

I wouldn't go see this for free.

Newest trailers show Murray and Aykroyd in cameos which are completely different from their original roles.

Meh.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so for those that don't know I am a huge fan of 3D. I just read that this is some of the best modern 3D to date? Mainly because they were not afraid of just going it "safe" and using the depth method. They actually included in your face type 3D as well. I probably still won't go see it but with the reviews and this news....I admit I am tempted.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I got passes to an early screening tonight. I am going to try to go (they oversell to ensure a full house).

I've read the director already has an extended cut ready to go for Blu-Ray. I am so sick of this! From Highlander 2 to Batman v. Superman, Director's Cuts have shown to be a superior product. But time-and-again, Studios make unnecessary and nonsensical edits in the name of run-time so that they can squeeze out one more showing per screen, per day. So you get a crap product that flames out after an initial surge. Don't you think a quality movie would have more longevity, and therefore, more profit potential?

So annoying.

I agree, except for Alexander--the director's cut was like 45 minutes shorter because it was so bloated with crap.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Ok. I thought this would be 'meh' at best based on the previews.

Just got back from the screening. Wow. So, so, so, so good! Blew my expectations away! Hit so many spots of nostalgia while still taking the concept in a new story direction. Not flawless, but so much better than I ever expected.

Stay after the credits. That scene got the biggest cheer (of many) from our crowd!

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously cannot wait to see this.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Okay, I am at a keyboard instead of on my phone, so I wanted to post a bit more today.

So in waiting in line for over an hour, I was treated overhearing several conversations. Thee college-age guys behind me played Pokemon Go and talked about their movie review blog. The woman in front of me had never seen the original. The people next to me were dressed as Ghostbusters, complete with realistic-looking proton packs. Most everyone there was apprehensive about either the prospect for a reboot or was turned off a bit by the trailers. But, free is free, so we all showed up. Mr. Harkins was there, as were reps from Sony to get our feedback. So we had everything from negative-leaning fanboys to the owner of the theater in our auditorium, unsure of what we would experience. I did know that if the movie sucked, this crowd would let the Sony Reps know.

I don't know if the audience was just the right mix or what, but it was the most fun I've had watching a movie with a group of people in a long time. There are a lot (A LOT) of references to the original, and people responded accordingly. There are many funny gags that aren't shown in the trailers that got big laughs. And, as the stupid trailers show, there are some surprise cameos.

I don't know why they did that. Clearly the marketing department panicked and hoped showing Bill Murray in the movie would silence the haters and stir some nostalgia. It didn't but it did ruin one of the moments that could have been a genuine surprise in the movie.

We didn't get to see it in 3D, but I think I may just go back and watch it again in 3D to get the full experience.

Just go in with an open mind and understand the creators of this version love the original as much as (if not more than) you do. It was simultaneously its own thing and a love letter to the 1984 version.

And if you want to believe it, there are 3 moments in the movie that make you think, maybe, just maybe, this isn't a reboot after all. Maybe they exist in the same universe as the original 2 movies.

1. The Title Card at the end is "Ghostbusters Answer the Call", not "Ghostbusters". So maybe it is Part 3 (ignoring the video game sequel)?

2. The Mayor of NYC (Andy Garcia) suggests the government knows all about ghosts and the events in the movie aren't the first time it has occurred. He says something like, "People always forget this stuff". I thought maybe people somehow supernaturally forgot the events in the first 2 movies (Which has precedent. In GB2, it was presented that the world forgot about their heroics and considered them frauds). So this generation gets less push back from the government than the originals because the Powers That Be know they AREN'T crazy or frauds.

3. The last reference comes in the stinger at the end, but I won't say what it is.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard