Georgia OLB Azeez Ojulari - Reddick replacement in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Praxis, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

If they have talent. I think Chase is pretty pedestrian and can't handle it when gameplanned for. I don't think any degree of improved blocking is going to make him a star. I have no reason to think Eno Benjamin or Jonathan Ward belong on an NFL roster.

PACardsFan likes this.
  2. juza76

juza76 Registered

I watched some tapes of tevon Jenkins, adequate feet and heavy hands, would bring some nastiness
    like u said, if the top 2 CB's are gone and even WR's left aren't worth the 16 pick, we can trade back few spots and have a chance to get tevon Jenkins or vera tucker, which would make our line very good and with a bright future ahead
    I know we have some spots to fill with more urgency, but we have our qb of the future already and make him comfortable is the best way to put this team in a good position to succeed
    If we get a guy like Nelson and pairing him with Butler Make us enough covered for the season

3. DVontel

DVontel Registered

He doesn’t need to be a star. He’s a good player that will benefit more with better blocking ahead of him.

Ward scored on his first ever carry in the NFL. You nor I don’t know if he belongs or not.

Your RB doesn’t need to be a star. That’s what you’re not getting. It’s not 1995 anymore.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  4. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

True, but it certainly helps if he is. And it certainly isn’t good when your team has the second worst running back production (I believe solar posted that). The Hudson upgrade is nice but the rest of the line that produced that second worst production is either the same (Dj, Pugh and beachum) or worse (as of now starting someone who couldn’t beat out sweezy last season).

PACardsFan, splitsecond and Solar7 like this.
  5. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Why is our QB more comfortable if we add another top wideout than a top RB? That situation still puts all of the pressure on Kyler to succeed. If he's just plainly having an off game, this team loses. Add in a good running back who can take some of the workload, and we have a chance in games where Kyler isn't at 100%. A WR doesn't do that.

He needs to be better than average. Edmonds is average. The guys behind him are complete unknowns but should be considered bad until proven good instead of good until proven bad given that they were a 7th round pick and undrafted. Plenty of guys have caught a TD pass in this league and never played another down.

You and others are way overrating Edmonds. As a starter, he has been absolutely abysmal. We have four games of evidence in this offense, and to Ouchie's point, the line hasn't changed all that much for the better. The right side is a mystery, and while Hudson is very good, I don't think he's good enough to solely make a middling running back a good running back.

I'm not asking for a star, I'm asking for adequate production. And I'm asking to hedge our bets a little bit, since Edmonds has already missed 5 career games due to hamstring injuries, which he also had at Fordham.

6. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

No. Teams still draft needs, or needs upcoming. A good example of the Cards doing this was drafting Calais Campbell. He wasn't a need at the time, but the Cardinals KNEW they were moving on from a DL so they drafted him for the near future.

Teams prioritize their needs and scheme fit INTO their board from the start, so it's completely baked into their draft board when they make selections.

So no, teams don't follow the Mel Kiper school of fantasy drafting.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  7. juza76

juza76 Registered

Was a need for the following year cause Antonio Smith was a free agent

Thats why pass rusher is an option in the second round i guess
    There is a reason Keim went to Miami pro day and watch Rousseau and Philipps, don't say they are the right guy but the position is considered pretty important

cardncubfan likes this.
  8. splitsecond

splitsecond Registered

call me crazy but I truly believe we can get both Harris and Farley. This draft is weird as one of them will fall enough that we can either get them with our second or move up in the second to get them.

9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Uh Calais is a great example of the opposite of what you’re talking about. He was a BPA opportunity draft. Were the cards going to need a dlinemen in the future? Yes. But every team likely can say that about almost every position. Did they have more immediate needs when they drafted him? Yes, but they didn’t draft for NEED, they drafted BPA.

The truth is that teams draft for a combination of need and BPA to argue fully one side or the other is stupid.

10. Ouchie-Z-Clown

The reality is every team can draft almost anyone and have it be “for need” if you’re including future free agency bc almost no position on any team (other than maybe QB, K, and P) has a full stable of any position locked down for three plus years.

splitsecond likes this.
  11. DVontel

DVontel Registered

It does help, but it doesn’t & should not come with the expense of a 1st round pick.

Think of it like this, would you really be okay if our 1st rounder had 2, maybe 3 prime years of play before it comes crashing down? Now, imagine it doesn’t even cap off with a SB.

12. juza76

juza76 Registered

Can u mention rb's drafted in the top 15 in the last 25 years that won a superbowl with their first team

DVontel likes this.
  13. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

I love the arguments for drafting a RB in round 1 when the 2020 expanded playoffs had one team with it's starting RB as a 1st rounder.

Cleveland - Nick Chubb - Rnd 2
    Pittsburgh - James Conner - Rnd 3
    Indianapolis - Jonathan Taylor - Rnd 2
    Buffalo - Devin Singletary - Rnd 3
    Baltimore - JK Dobbins - Rnd 2
    Tennessee - Derrick Henry - Rnd 2
    Kansas City - CEH - Rnd 1

LA Rams - Cam Akers - Rnd 2
    Seattle - Chris Carson - Rnd 7
    Chicago - David Montgomery - Rnd 3
    New Orleans - Alvin Kamara - Rnd 3
    Tampa Bay - Ronald Jones - Rnd 2
    Washington - Antonio Gibson - Rnd 3
    Green Bay - Aaron Jones - Rnd 5

EDIT - If you wanted to use this as the argument to take a RB in rounds 2 or 3, I feel like you have a case.

14. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I’m actually curious on how many drafted in the top 32 period.

15. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

The only reason I'm arguing for an RB in the first is because we won't have a shot at the top 3 RBs in the second and don't have a third. I'm all for trading back to acquire a 3rd and drafting an RB there. It's simply a matter of the spot we're in, not philosophical support of needing a 1st round RB all the time.

Cardsfaninlouky, PACardsFan and Stout like this.