Georgia OLB Azeez Ojulari - Reddick replacement in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Praxis, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Devin Singletary >>> Chase Edmonds, that's for sure. And I'm probably taking Moss over him too.

2. juza76

juza76 Registered

Draft is about long terms
    The value of the pick and future of the roster
    O OLB under contract next season
    I can't repeat there are adequate rb's for our system later in the draft
    Behind CB's is our major need
    Then WR
    Tigh end too but I guess they ll trade for someone with a late 2022 draft pick

3. Finito

Finito Registered

yeah that’s not true at all

4. DVontel

DVontel Registered

So how was Edmonds able to outproduce both their RBs last season?

cardsfanmd likes this.
  5. DVontel

DVontel Registered

You really love overrating the absolute hell out of RBs from other teams, lol.

Edmonds outproduced Singletary on total yards, TDs, & YPC last season.

Zack Moss is just.....lol.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Krangthebrain, Vacard and Chopper0080 like this.
  6. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

"0 OLB under contract next season"
    No, we have Markus Golden, Devon Kennard, Tanner Vallejo. Not that they're world beaters, but they've started many games in this league.

I implore you to look at the draft history of 5th-7th round RBs and examine how many actually contribute anything to their teams. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

I've got some time, so I'll break down the numbers for the past 5 years. I stripped out the fullbacks and any position changes. Here's what it looks like for 2020-2016.

- 56 drafted, 2,608 potential games (16 game seasons since drafted)
    - 15 either still on roster, completed rookie contract, or were traded for compensation - ~27%
    - 13 with more than 100 rushing attempts or over 40 targets, number drops to 10 if only on their original team
    - 185 games started for their original team - 7% of those games (130 from the trio of Aaron Jones, Chris Carson, & Jordan Howard - 70% of total)
    - 674 games played for their original team - 26% of those games (22% of total)

The big whopper - Jones, Carson, and Howard accounted for 41% of all rushes and targets of the 56 men drafted since 2016.

Remove those three major outliers, and only 7 players started five games or over for the team that drafted them, and one started more than 10 (Wendell Smallwood). Out of 56 players, and 2,608 games.

That's abysmal. It means the chances of drafting a guy who will start five games over their career for you in recent history in these rounds is about 18%, and even that's a very low standard. These late rounds don't produce reliable players.

JosiahLee and cardncubfan like this.
  7. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

You thinking Chase is a better option than those 2 says it all.

Stout likes this.
  8. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Better career YPC, dramatically better career YPG rushing, better career receiving YPG, and actually puts those numbers up as a starter, where Edmonds flops at every opportunity... yes, he's the better back. Admittedly falls behind on the TDs, but that's mainly on account of opportunity. Moss is used more in the red zone.

9. juza76

juza76 Registered

So u want to tell me that we are fine with golden Kennard next season
    Tallejo is a ILB so I don't know how u put him in that spot

Praxis likes this.
  10. Praxis

Praxis Registered

I don't have a first round grade on any of these RBs. It's always risky taking a first round RB anyway. Very few worth a second contract.

11. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Just using Spotrac.

And no, do I think we're "okay" with them? Not in particular, but we're better off than we are at TE, RB, CB, or WR next year. At least they've played. 2022's TE and RB rooms currently have 0 players who have even been active for a game. CB has a nickel back and not any starters or depth. WR has DHop and Isabella and Johnson who are nowhere near locks to make it through training camp THIS year. OLB is 5th on the list of needs, and one could argue OL is just as much of a priority because we have no idea who is starting on the right side now or in 2022.

12. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

Who cares if they’re worth a 2nd contrast. Most RBs aren’t. But if you get 4-5 years high production, it’s worth it.
    Where teams mess up is giving the extension like the Cowboys with Zeke, the Rams with Gurley, etc. But 4 years of top notch production is worth it.
    The Cards got 1 year of production out of Reddick and some considered him a loss.

PACardsFan, Ouchie-Z-Clown and Solar7 like this.
  13. Praxis

Praxis Registered

It depends on the RB. The last RB I had a first round grade on was Josh Jacobs.

14. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

I understand people wanting the most bang for their buck and a 10 year hall of fame type player, but RB is still a position you have to fill.

I really can't fathom this sudden mindset that any ol' player is gonna come in here and tear it up. Weren't people just all in on signing 8 games of Kenyan Drake to a long term deal or at least paying him the franchise tag because they thought he would be the player that made this offense's engine purr?

What happened?

PACardsFan likes this.
  15. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Keim is so bad at drafting that he has brainwashed this fanbase into thinking that drafting a RB in the 1st round in 2021 is okay because they’ll take anything at this point.

TaylorSwift, Vacard and Chopper0080 like this.