Georgia OLB Azeez Ojulari - Reddick replacement in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Praxis, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

It's just a classic "looks like he has no plan" Keim move. Last year was the perfect time to draft a guy to see what you had at the position for a year, and now we have a very unproven, undersized guy lined up to start who is being backed up by guys with as much NFL experience as this message board.

If we had a 3rd rounder, it wouldn't be as panicky, but the position is just paper thin. Even scarier if you don't think all that highly of Edmonds.

2. Praxis

Praxis Registered

So you wanted to reach for one last year? Who would you have taken? I loved Cam Akers but I had a second round grade on him.

3. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

I had hoped Zack Moss would be the pick in the 3rd. I wasn't disappointed with Josh Jones with how far he fell, but still. Joshua Kelley is another interesting one.

Once we got to the 4th, admittedly, I was also stumping for Eno Benjamin who we got much much later, but now that he hasn't ever played a snap, I can't count on him. I was hoping he'd at least get some snaps.

4. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I’m a cardinals fan, what’s a second contract?

5. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

EDGE/CB/WR

It isn't tough though I think EDGE might be a bit of a reach at 16.

I am of the mind that you don't HAVE to take a CB in round 1, but IMO the talent available matches up pretty well. Vance is definitely looking for something and per Keim it wasn't available in FA. You have to find it somewhere. We will see.

A ton of WRs so we will see. Not many signed through next year.

I am not going to get worked up about RB.

6. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

I’ll admit it

draft three players that stick and make a positive difference for the team and I’m happy with the draft.
    I don’t care what position they play.... RG....NT....ILB....TE

I just want to see this team start drafting players worth keeping

Cardsfaninlouky and splitsecond like this.
  7. HairZach

HairZach Registered

Look I'm very new to draft analysis in general. I'm probably missing the plot, but I'll walk you through my thought process for being okay with a round 1 running back.

I want us to make a run while Kyler has his rookie contract so I'm looking for immediate return from the first round pick. Cornerbacks tend to struggle their first year no matter where they are taken and the #3 overall pick last year, Okudah, being arguably the worst CB in the league last year has my recency bias acting up. Running backs however, usually hit the ground running and are able to be effective starters their first year. I also think RB is a major hole in our roster that held us back a lot last year. We need one, why not get a really good one?

That brings me to the #1 running back prospect. In my mind Najee Harris is a complete player. Great at short yardage between the tackles, fast in space and a good pass catcher to boot. The Cardinals are in desperate need of a back that is good in short yardage situations. Teams stopped Kyler from running halfway through last year and all a sudden 3rd and 1 became impossible to convert. The whole offense crumbled. Harris plugs that massive hole in our offense and makes it so Kyler's run game won't be contained as easily. I think any team would be happy to have Harris on their roster. I don't think his skillset is matched by other backs in this draft. I'm not concerned that its bad value to take him in the first, since I don't take its possible to get a similar player in the second. (That last sentence is where I worry my logic might be faulty, but I do worry there will be a run on the top RBs at the start of round 2)

Of course CB is still very important and another huge position of need. I won't be disappointed if we take Horn or Farley. Honestly I'm fine with a running back being taken in round 2 instead. I just view the running game as so important that I am willing to use a first rounder. Overall I think rounds 1&2 should be spent on CB and RB and I don't care which order. If we had more picks I'd be okay with a RB in the 3rd, but I really don't want us plugging such a major need in the 5th.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  8. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I never bring him up, but look at Mitch’s article on Revenge Of the Birds on why he makes the case of drafting a RB in R1.

Then, look at the comments, lol.

Chopper0080 and HairZach like this.
  9. juza76

juza76 Registered

I read some of them
    They are bringing valid points how drafting a RB early is not a smart decision

An example) Patriots with belicheck drafted just 2 first rounder Maroney and Sony... They had the same impact of an UDFA or likely worse

Long list of RB drafted in the first that couldn't change much their offenses
    But I'm sure Solar keep disagreeing

IMO The only 2 rb's worthing an extension and keep being difference makers are Henry and Kamara, drafted in the second round

If Harris is there in the second round then I would consider him but I'm pretty sure his numbers can be matched by a guy like Kylin Hill, who can be drafted in the fourth or fifth round

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    DVontel likes this.
  10. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Kamara was drafted in the 3rd round which makes it even sweeter, but yea.

11. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

fwiw: GMs that do this consistently would be top 5 GMs in the NFL

12. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

I think you're missing the argument here. It's not so much that I desperately want us to pick an RB in the first, it's that in terms of what draft capital we have, we don't have many opportunities to upgrade the position. If you go back to early March and February, when we had a pick in the top 3 rounds, I wasn't pushing to get one that high.

But the way the board is playing out without our 3rd rounder, it looks like the 1st round is going to be our only chance of moving the needle and getting a talented without a ton of luck. The top three backs will likely be gone by #49, and reaching for a Michael Carter or similar in the 2nd isn't a great move.

You talk about a "Kylin Hill in the 4th-5th," but we don't have a 4th. You're crossing your fingers this guy drops to the middle part of the 5th, long after a ton of compensatory picks are worked through too. I've already shown evidence that teams get next to nothing from players drafted at the position after the 4th round, but you seem to think we know something about the draft that other teams don't.

Does "Kylin Hill, starting RB of the Arizona Cardinals" if Edmonds tweaks a hamstring in week 1 really make you feel comfortable?

13. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Yea. Especially if we go OL with our first pick.

14. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Which we probably won't.

Again, we'll see what happens. My stance is that if we have Chase Edmonds as our starter (or any of the current FAs), we'll end the season as a bottom 5 rushing team from the RB position, and he'll have a sub-4.0 YPC.

Obviously a lot can happen from now until the end of draft night 3.

PACardsFan and Stout like this.
  15. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Who knows?

If Horn, Surtain, & the WRs are all gone, I could see it happening if Farley’s & Newsome’s durabilty issues scare us off completely.

Upgrading the OL will make Chase & the other RBs’ jobs easier.

Cardsfaninlouky and juza76 like this.