*Gasp* I need help with Ghost

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to force the spanning of a ghost image so that each span will fit on a CD??? I am using version 8.0

The total size of the image I am taking is 2.7 gigs from a Windows XP box and for some reason when I turn spanning on it will cut it in a segment of 2.5 gigs, then 200 MB....

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
You are using a CD boot disk? I think you make a ghost boot disk that supports the CD drive. It should span automatically when you save the image to the CD-R device in the program.

If I remember it calculates the number of disks needed before you start the image and prompts you for the next disk when one is full.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am booting to the network and copying to a shared drive...

So the machine I am taking the image from doesn't need a CR-RW drive for me to do this?? I just need to create a bootable CD from the Ghost Boot wizard???

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I am booting to the network and copying to a shared drive...

So the machine I am taking the image from doesn't need a CR-RW drive for me to do this?? I just need to create a bootable CD from the Ghost Boot wizard???

Hmmm, no you would need a CD-R/RW drive in the box to image directly to CD.

In the options is there no setting for max image size? I have V7 corporate.

I would think you could limit the image size and it would automatically create the correct number of images. If it doesn't it should.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Here it is, you want the SPLIT option.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

How to split an image file

Situation:
You want to create images with a specific size for storing on CD-ROM or other limited size media.

Solution:
The most common application for splitting an image file is to store the individual files, or segments, on removable media such as a Zip drive, Jaz drive, CD-ROM, or DVD-ROM. You can split an image file as it is being created, or you can split the image file with Ghost Explorer after you create the image file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: For instructions on splitting the image file after the file is created, see the document How to save a large image file on CD-ROM's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To have Ghost split an image file as it creates the image file, run the Ghost executable (Ghost.exe, Ghostpe.exe, or Ghostwks.exe) with the "-SPLIT=n" command line switch, where "n" is the maximum size for any of the segments (files). For example:

a:\ghost.exe -split=600 -auto

limits the image size to a maximum of 600 megabytes (MB) for any one segment.

The auto switch automatically names each of the segments numerically. This provides Ghost Multicast with access to the segments for restoring them. Use the -AUTO switch with the -SPLIT switch only when saving all the segments to a location such as a hard disk. When writing directly to removable media, do not use the -AUTO switch. This might cause Ghost to write all files to the same disk.

To force Ghost to use the older naming convention for the segments, use the -CNS switch. This switch is available only in Symantec Ghost 7.0 and later.

If you run Ghost from a bootable floppy disk, edit the file Autoexec.bat on the floppy disk to add the switches to the ghost.exe entry.