The Ghost of Channing Frye.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-windows-the-suns-in-year-2-and-the-ghost-of-channing-frye/

Very good article on Grantland. A lot of hate for Channing Frye on here but he was an important part of the success last season.

I think they can move on successfully without him but I wanted to tip my hat to last years contribution.

Familiarity played a role in the joy surrounding this new Suns era, last year. Using vestiges of the Seven Seconds or Less days (Dragic, Channing Frye) as anchors, Hornacek was able to recreate the style of his own heyday and mold a team not only in his image, but also in the image longtime Suns fan have grown accustomed to. The team was stocked with long-range threats, athletes capable of making plays on either end of the court, and players capable of pushing tempo — the designation of “lead guard” befalling whichever of the two players happened to be speeding upcourt with the ball at that moment.

Most satisfying was the notion that we were finally seeing these players, most of whom had come from less gratifying situations on other teams, at their best. Of the nine Suns players who logged at least 1,000 minutes, six had career highs in effective field goal percentage (eFG). Well, technically six. It should be seven — Gerald Green missed his career high of 54.8 by a tenth of a percentage point. That career high was set back in 2012, when Green made an improbable return to the NBA as a member of the New Jersey Nets. It’s important to note that he sustained his eFG of 54.7 percent last season over the course of 82 games and 2,330 minutes, about three times as many as he played in New Jersey.

Effective field goal percentage takes into account both 2-point and 3-point field goals, weighing 3s more heavily to account for the difference in worth. Those career numbers across the board have to do with increased opportunity and scheme. Thirty percent of the Suns’ total field goal attempts came from behind the arc; only four teams surpassed that figure. The Suns also happened to have the second-best 3-point defense in the league, with opponents shooting only 34.1 percent. Making a ton of 3s and preventing your opponent from doing the same seems like a pretty solid formula for a winning season these days.

Staring at the numbers, last year’s Suns appear to be a perfect storm of unsustainable conveniences. How often are you going to have that many guys playing out of their minds in the same 82-game span? And for how many of those players is that uptick in production going to be the new normal?

There was a player who did leave. Unfortunately for the Suns, he might’ve taken their one hope of continuity along with him. Dragic became the team’s undisputed best player, Bledsoe remains their best chance at a future superstar, and Markieff Morris was the team’s unexpected breakout player. But Channing Frye might’ve been the most valuable player to the operation last season.

There are fewer than a handful of players in the NBA who combine Frye’s size, floor spacing ability, and competent post defense. When he was on the court, the Suns played like the best offense in the league, scoring 110.4 points per 100 possessions. No rotation player in Phoenix had a better on-court plus-minus. This is a team that won largely because of its prolific 3-point shooting. And it is now faced with the task of replacing the man who made it all possible.

The Suns obviously took more 3s when Frye was on the court, but they also made a significantly higher percentage of them. When Frye was on the court, the Suns made 39.3 percent of their 3-point attempts, per NBAwowy, a percentage that would put them right there with the Spurs, at the top. With Frye off the court, that percentage plummeted to 33.7 percent, a bottom-five figure. Take away Frye, and you’re left with a bunch of stray lightning bolts, without a rod to cull them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the Suns gave Fryes' money (4 years at 32 million) to Markieff for an extension rather than pay Frye the same amount.

I've always liked Frye but I never thought he was a key cog for the Suns going forward. Of course I could be proved wrong.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I'm glad the Suns gave Fryes' money (4 years at 32 million) to Markieff for an extension rather than pay Frye the same amount.

I've always liked Frye but I never thought he was a key cog for the Suns going forward. Of course I could be proved wrong.

As much as I like Frye as a player I was not down with extending him long term, longer than maybe 2 years. I was surprised he opted out and got $32M but I was happy for him. Hopefully this injury is not to serious.

It is time for the Suns young veteran players like Bledsoe and Markieff to assume leadership roles.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As much as I like Frye as a player I was not down with extending him long term, longer than maybe 2 years. I was surprised he opted out and got $32M but I was happy for him. Hopefully this injury is not to serious.

It is time for the Suns young veteran players like Bledsoe and Markieff to assume leadership roles.
Bledsoe doesn't seem to have the personality. Kieff doesn't seem extroverted, either. Leadership by example would be a step in the right direction.

Hopefully, Dragic has grown into the role of leader. And Tucker, if his trouble with the law is not recurring.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Arizona Sports has a good article on the absence of Frye and floor spacing. Markieff will mostly play Fryes position as 3 point shooter but according to horny not to fall in love with just the three.
Quote:
"The biggest thing," Hornacek said, "is we don't want him to come in here thinking, ‘okay, I'm going to try to replace Channing and just shoot threes.' We like what he does inside with post-ups. He's very good inside. He's a very good passer, so if we can hit him on the roll more and let him make a play, we can do that. He's still going to shoot some threes, but he won't fall in love with them. He knows his strengths now."

It was painfully obvious to mostly everyone on here that Frye was a one trick pony and Horny clarifies that point in this article.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually had a problem more with the Suns utilization of him more than him actually being here. The ghost with this organization is it's obsession with small ball and playing guys out of position. He played Center so much here it made me want to vomit. Couple that with the amount of money it would take to keep him here and the rebuild? It didn't make much sense to keep him here any longer. We have had much much worse players shuffled through here during his time with the team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I actually had a problem more with the Suns utilization of him more than him actually being here. The ghost with this organization is it's obsession with small ball and playing guys out of position. He played Center so much here it made me want to vomit.
I wouldn't upchuck over it, or even gag, just curse at the TV screen. :)

A 6'11"-248 "big man" playing like a Guard, especially when on the floor as a Center, who became a detriment when his 3-point shot wasn't falling, isn't a long range plan.

The Suns exceeded expectations until dropping from playoff status. Now expectations are much higher than one year ago. Frye as starting Power Forward and backup/finishing Center isn't the formula for reaching the next step.

As they say, if you aren't moving ahead, you are falling behind.

In other words, Daren, I agree with you.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bledsoe doesn't seem to have the personality. Kieff doesn't seem extroverted, either. Leadership by example would be a step in the right direction.

Hopefully, Dragic has grown into the role of leader. And Tucker, if his trouble with the law is not recurring.

They may not have the personality in front of cameras and complete strangers, but I'd bet they both feel comfortable with the other guys and coaches and have no issues with speaking up in the locker room and on the court. One doesn't have to be flashy or have media savvy to lead.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson