Game Thoughts: Cardinals 51 Packers 45

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
All my brain can do right now is tell my lungs to breathe, so I am going to need to just number my points, in no particular order, per se.

1. First of all, just typing Cardinals 51 (and realizing that this is what it took to win this unbelievable game) gives me goosebumps the size of pears.

2. The short take of the game is: the Cardinals' defense forces key turnovers on the first and last Packer offensive plays and the Cardinals' offense plays virtually perfect football in between. Yes, remarkably, and it took everything to happen this way for the Cardinals to win this game.

3. Amidst swirling ESPN rumors that Warner is going to retire...talk about a TV network doing everything it can to distract the Cardinals and to dismiss the Cardinals...let's for the fun of it, always remember that between the ESPN crew and the FOX crew...the pre-game predictions were unanimously in favor of the Packers (let's name them all: Berman, Ditka---who picked a GB/BAL Super Bowl, Keyshawn, Cris "C'mon Mang" Carter, Tommy Jackson, Chris Mortensen, Adam Schefter, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, Michael Strahan, and Jimmy Johnson---ALL predicted GB). The ONLY one who didn't was comedian Frank Caliendo, who after his hysterical Andy Rooney "60 seconds" bit, picked the Cardinals...because Kurt Warner reminded him of a QB he used to love back in his (Rooney's) day: yup, Kurt Warner (donning leather helmet, no less!).

Well, the funny thing is: the wisest character on Shakespeare's stage was always the jester or the Fool...and Shakespeare would have loved this outcome...not only for the drama that we just witnessed, and the near-miss tragedy that Kurt Warner may have just played his final game for the Cardinals and lost, having played flawless, extraordinary football to the tune of 28/32 379 yards and 5 TDs. Alas, this was all too possible an outcome, especially seeing as the Fates willed Sir Charles Woodson to call tails on the over-time coin flip, and the man who can do no wrong picked right, of course! But, wait, this is where the great Bard had his say...in a game where no defense could stop the other, the game was decided on a defensive play where the much victimized diminutive underdog Pauper Adams, who had earlier missed a wide open sack on King Aaron, gets in on him quickly, forces a fumble, which King Aaron kicks straight up to Adams' teammate Prince Dansby, who races the ball into the crowd for a twenty minute standing ovation! The tragedy is averted. The sun can rise over Glendale another morning!

All I can say is good for you Frank! You were the only one...and I also need to give props to ESPN NFL West Blogger Extraordinaire, Mike Sando and AZ Republic sportswriter Dan Bickley for being the only other two pundits interviewed before the game who actually made a passionate case as to why the Cardinals were going to win.

4. I can honestly say that this was the best game I have ever watched a Cardinals' offense play in my 54 years of being a Cardinals' fan. It was the best pass protection I have seen a Cardinals team perform (take your shots at Levi Brown now, darksiders, I dare you!)---the one sack was on a flea flicker---that's right---it was perfect pocket after perfect pocket play after scintillating play. Kurt Warner was as brilliant and as emotionally charged as I have ever seen him---and, mind you, he put up first half numbers like today's in virtually all his road games this year---but this time, he had to sustain his perfection for 4 quarters, and with great determination, he did.

The WR trio of Fitz, Breaston and Doucet were fabulous---how about Doucet's last play catching the ball in traffic versus Sir Charles and with Sir Charles ripping at the ball, ripping it away from him and barreling forward another ten yards to set up what should have been the GW FG? And how about Doucet's 2 TDs, the second of which he was like a human piball darting a careening through the bumpers? And Fitz's 2 TDs...the great one handed grab in the end zone and the split the defense one that was like a mini version of his Super Bowl dash? And how about Breaston's leaping catch TD that put the Cardinals back ahead 45-38?

And Beanie's great runs? And TH's smashmouth TD with Darnell and Gabe plowing the way! And LSH fighting for every little inch out there!

5. Now for my gripes...

(a) it all started when I saw that FS Rashad Johnson was inactive...I was in disbelief. First of all, he had a good game last week. Secondly, Rolle has been hurt, what if he reinjured the quad? Thirdly, who was going to pair with Rolle as the nickel safeties? We had better learn that Johnson was sick---because otherwise, it meant Ralph Brown and Hamzah Abdullah playing nickel safeties...neither of whom has played there all year...and neither of who CAN play there. This meant that with Ralph Brown at FS, that Michael Adams was apparently the only option on covering WR Donald Driber in the slot. What's worse than a coach actually deciding this mismatch, is that Adams was instructed to press Driver---anyone see the pipes on Driver? There is NO way Adams was going to win press battles with Driver. The only chance he had was to shadow him, using his quick feel, and not his hands. I think the world of Adams---I still do---I think the coaches whiffed big-time on this one---

(b) just as the coaches, Bill Davis, in particular whiffed playing with a 3 TD lead---it shows me that he has not only failed to learn from CP's egregious mistakes (rewatch the Super Bowl), he has failed to learn from his own this year (hello, Tennessee, etc.). To watch Packer receivers not even being covered at all in a playoff game with the game on the line---was unthinkable. To this point I've been very high on Davis, but today's performance has me back to square one with him. That was about as lame as it gets. The good news is: the Packers and the mighty Dom Capers---coincidentally Davis' old mentor---were just as lame---if not more---and they have stronger personnel.

(c) Neil Rackers' routine---I've harped on this for years now and cannot help doing it again---sprinting onto the field while pulling on his helmet after nervoulsy kicking 100 balls into a net with a baseball cap on---it gets him too over-hyped---raise your hand if you just knew he was going to miss that FG? I mean I love the guy, but Kevin Spencer ought to settle Rackers down and get him to focus on his fundamentals and not rush. Clearly by rushing and being over-hyped, his plant foot slipped and he hooked the ball big-time.

(d) Been saying this a while too because it just seems too evident: the Cardinals' offense with Warner at QB is MORE IN UNISON without Boldin. Not to dis Boldin's great skills and talents...but the real reason is: Warner is more relaxed because he doesn't have to keep Q happy, or worry about leading Q into the next big hit. Remember back to the game at Chicago when Q was inactivated right before the game? Remember the flawless first half Warner put up in that game? Same today.

6. But what I loved most about the offense today, when some guys made some of the few rare mistakes---they immediately atoned for it---like Doucet (Warner was mad at him for blowing his route on the play of the Fitz fumble), like Fitz scoring 2 TDs after he uncharacteristically fumbled---after having secured the ball perfectly earlier in traffic versus Sir Charles...like Breaston and his customary 6 men on the l.o.s. call, catching the big 4th quarter TD---and the offense responding virutally EVERY nerve-wracking time.

7. I save this for last: Whiz, you knew what you were doing---I think in retrospect you wouldn't have played your key players in the second half last week---but---you were like Domino's Pizza today: you delivered! You are a real gem, Whiz. And you boys love to play because you help to allow them to love it.

On wish: please Kurt Warner, just make it clear you have not made your mind up about retiring. We all need hope that you will be back because, quite frankly, you are the star that continues to guide this franchise, and you have shined a path for Cardinals' fans that was always far too dark to see. Please---let us still hope.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Damn good write up Mitch.

Especially the part about the Wish for Warner.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
All my brain can do right now is tell my lungs to breathe, so I am going to need to just number my points, in no particular order, per se.

1. First of all, just typing Cardinals 51 (and realizing that this is what it took to win this unbelievable game) gives me goosebumps the size of pears.

2. The short take of the game is: the Cardinals' defense forces key turnovers on the first and last Packer offensive plays and the Cardinals' offense plays virtually perfect football in between. Yes, remarkably, and it took everything to happen this way for the Cardinals to win this game.

3. Amidst swirling ESPN rumors that Warner is going to retire...talk about a TV network doing everything it can to distract the Cardinals and to dismiss the Cardinals...let's for the fun of it, always remember that between the ESPN crew and the FOX crew...the pre-game predictions were unanimously in favor of the Packers (let's name them all: Berman, Ditka---who picked a GB/BAL Super Bowl, Keyshawn, Cris "C'mon Mang" Carter, Tommy Jackson, Chris Mortensen, Adam Schefter, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, Michael Strahan, and Jimmy Johnson---ALL predicted GB). The ONLY one who didn't was comedian Frank Caliendo, who after his hysterical Andy Rooney "60 seconds" bit, picked the Cardinals...because Kurt Warner reminded him of a QB he used to love back in his (Rooney's) day: yup, Kurt Warner (donning leather helmet, no less!).

Well, the funny thing is: the wisest character on Shakespeare's stage was always the jester or the Fool...and Shakespeare would have loved this outcome...not only for the drama that we just witnessed, and the near-miss tragedy that Kurt Warner may have just played his final game for the Cardinals and lost, having played flawless, extraordinary football to the tune of 28/32 379 yards and 5 TDs. Alas, this was all too possible an outcome, especially seeing as the Fates willed Sir Charles Woodson to call tails on the over-time coin flip, and the man who can do no wrong picked right, of course! But, wait, this is where the great Bard had his say...in a game where no defense could stop the other, the game was decided on a defensive play where the much victimized diminutive underdog Pauper Adams, who had earlier missed a wide open sack on King Aaron, gets in on him quickly, forces a fumble, which King Aaron kicks straight up to Adams' teammate Prince Dansby, who races the ball into the crowd for a twenty minute standing ovation! The tragedy is averted. The sun can rise over Glendale another morning!

All I can say is good for you Frank! You were the only one...and I also need to give props to ESPN NFL West Blogger Extraordinaire, Mike Sando and AZ Republic sportswriter Dan Bickley for being the only other two pundits interviewed before the game who actually made a passionate case as to why the Cardinals were going to win.

4. I can honestly say that this was the best game I have ever watched a Cardinals' offense play in my 54 years of being a Cardinals' fan. It was the best pass protection I have seen a Cardinals team perform (take your shots at Levi Brown now, darksiders, I dare you!)---the one sack was on a flea flicker---that's right---it was perfect pocket after perfect pocket play after scintillating play. Kurt Warner was as brilliant and as emotionally charged as I have ever seen him---and, mind you, he put up first half numbers like today's in virtually all his road games this year---but this time, he had to sustain his perfection for 4 quarters, and with great determination, he did.

The WR trio of Fitz, Breaston and Doucet were fabulous---how about Doucet's last play catching the ball in traffic versus Sir Charles and with Sir Charles ripping at the ball, ripping it away from him and barreling forward another ten yards to set up what should have been the GW FG? And how about Doucet's 2 TDs, the second of which he was like a human piball darting a careening through the bumpers? And Fitz's 2 TDs...the great one handed grab in the end zone and the split the defense one that was like a mini version of his Super Bowl dash? And how about Breaston's leaping catch TD that put the Cardinals back ahead 45-38?

And Beanie's great runs? And TH's smashmouth TD with Darnell and Gabe plowing the way! And LSH fighting for every little inch out there!

5. Now for my gripes...

(a) it all started when I saw that FS Rashad Johnson was inactive...I was in disbelief. First of all, he had a good game last week. Secondly, Rolle has been hurt, what if he reinjured the quad? Thirdly, who was going to pair with Rolle as the nickel safeties? We had better learn that Johnson was sick---because otherwise, it meant Ralph Brown and Hamzah Abdullah playing nickel safeties...neither of whom has played there all year...and neither of who CAN play there. This meant that with Ralph Brown at FS, that Michael Adams was apparently the only option on covering WR Donald Driber in the slot. What's worse than a coach actually deciding this mismatch, is that Adams was instructed to press Driver---anyone see the pipes on Driver? There is NO way Adams was going to win press battles with Driver. The only chance he had was to shadow him, using his quick feel, and not his hands. I think the world of Adams---I still do---I think the coaches whiffed big-time on this one---

(b) just as the coaches, Bill Davis, in particular whiffed playing with a 3 TD lead---it shows me that he has not only failed to learn from CP's egregious mistakes (rewatch the Super Bowl), he has failed to learn from his own this year (hello, Tennessee, etc.). To watch Packer receivers not even being covered at all in a playoff game with the game on the line---was unthinkable. To this point I've been very high on Davis, but today's performance has me back to square one with him. That was about as lame as it gets. The good news is: the Packers and the mighty Dom Capers---coincidentally Davis' old mentor---were just as lame---if not more---and they have stronger personnel.

(c) Neil Rackers' routine---I've harped on this for years now and cannot help doing it again---sprinting onto the field while pulling on his helmet after nervoulsy kicking 100 balls into a net with a baseball cap on---it gets him too over-hyped---raise your hand if you just knew he was going to miss that FG? I mean I love the guy, but Kevin Spencer ought to settle Rackers down and get him to focus on his fundamentals and not rush. Clearly by rushing and being over-hyped, his plant foot slipped and he hooked the ball big-time.

(d) Been saying this a while too because it just seems too evident: the Cardinals' offense with Warner at QB is MORE IN UNISON without Boldin. Not to dis Boldin's great skills and talents...but the real reason is: Warner is more relaxed because he doesn't have to keep Q happy, or worry about leading Q into the next big hit. Remember back to the game at Chicago when Q was inactivated right before the game? Remember the flawless first half Warner put up in that game? Same today.

Couldn't agree with this more and I have also mentioned it. The offense runs smoother without Boldin in there. I know there is a lot of man love here for Boldin but the honest truth is this team does not need him. There is always someone who will step up and become a leader for this team after Boldin is gone.

6. But what I loved most about the offense today, when some guys made some of the few rare mistakes---they immediately atoned for it---like Doucet (Warner was mad at him for blowing his route on the play of the Fitz fumble), like Fitz scoring 2 TDs after he uncharacteristically fumbled---after having secured the ball perfectly earlier in traffic versus Sir Charles...like Breaston and his customary 6 men on the l.o.s. call, catching the big 4th quarter TD---and the offense responding virutally EVERY nerve-wracking time.

7. I save this for last: Whiz, you knew what you were doing---I think in retrospect you wouldn't have played your key players in the second half last week---but---you were like Domino's Pizza today: you delivered! You are a real gem, Whiz. And you boys love to play because you help to allow them to love it.

On wish: please Kurt Warner, just make it clear you have not made your mind up about retiring. We all need hope that you will be back because, quite frankly, you are the star that continues to guide this franchise, and you have shined a path for Cardinals' fans that was always far too dark to see. Please---let us still hope.

Great read Mitch

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
When you write "sir charles" i see barley playing pass defense... somehow I don't think he's quite as nimble as woodson

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Darn good write up Mitch!

I have been a Doucet doubter till now. He proved to me that he belongs on the team. Good game Early.

Did anyone even realize that Jeremy Urban made a big play today?

Everyone on this team needs a game ball. This was a team victory. Kurt needs 2 or three.

Unbelievable game!!!

Cards232

Registered
Reaction score
Great read Mitch. I'm not sure I've seen enough here about what a heluva job the o-line did in their protection schemes. The running game was excellent overall. The receivers were stupendous. And Warner was, well, Warner. Is there a better clutch performer in football?

As far as Rackers is concerned. Go back & watch the tape. He didn't do his normal setup. He didn't do his normal routine. Much shorter steps & not fluid at all in his prep. Also, & I know this will sound kind of quirky, but when Rackers is on, he has a smooth, relaxed roll forward of his shoulders w/ his arms slightly out before he gives the ok for the ball to be snapped. When he's off, he either doesn't roll the shoulders, or does so rigidly. If he would focus on the smooth routine & taking his time to make sure the routine is perfect, instead of focusing on the moment, he would never miss. Watch the tapes, you'll see what I mean. His whole routine was off.

Anyway, we're peeking at he right time again. The Saints? They scored 17 points in 2 of their last 3 games before resting the starters in the last game. I understand they didn't practice this last week. Momentum is HUGE in the playoffs! I think the Saints are in trouble. They'll be healthy, but w/ no momentum! I was FAR more concerned about this very, very good Packers team than I am w/ the Saints. Biggest reason? Momentum. The Pack were the hottest team in the NFL going into this game. The Saints? Not so much so.

If our o-line stays consistent, we'll continue the roll next week. I believe our defense will look much better as well. Brees is outstanding. But the Saints are no Packers, not right now anyway.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, my friend, this may be your very best of all time---------------------Thanks

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch for putting into words, the overall success of today's game, and the failure of the so-called experts who don't know Cardinal football. I'm totally spent and exhausted but look foraward to our next game.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
I was there, I can't talk and can barely think but I was able tro read what you wrote. It figures that you would have your greatest write-up following the greatest game.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Sir Mitchell, for the second time today( the first in awe of Sir Warner) I am speechless. Best write up ever and I also agree that kudos should go to the Oline. They were awesome. Thanks for this.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Time to effusively praise the O-line's performance yesterday. They did a terrrific job protecting Kurt, even if he did get hit a few times. But, by and large, their performance was one of their best of the season.

The playoffs are just beginning, it is far too early to write off Mr. Boldin. Before all is said and done, he may contribute the way Steve and Early did today.

On one of Beanie's long runs off right tackle, there was Steve Breaston twenty yards downfield blocking and allowing Wells to gain an extra 15-20 yards. Steve had one of his best games ever as a Cardinal. Hats off to Steve Breaton! It was fantastic job of contorting to make the second TD catch. Who does he think he is Larrry Fitzgerald? :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the best pass protection I have seen a Cardinals team perform (take your shots at Levi Brown now, darksiders, I dare you!)

Done. He still sucks and I still want him benched/replaced.

You can take your 3 or 4 games with Levi playing well and I will take the rest.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent write up Mitch. I was at the game and too exhausted last night to even post anything. Just a couple of points;
1. I really hope that Warner comes back as he is something special for sure.
2. The wr corp of Fitz, Breaston and Doucet really stepped it up. Boldin may be traded in the off season.
3. Hats off to Rus Grimm and the offensive line. They were the difference makers.
4. Cards need to go defense in this year's draft. Defensive backs and linebackers are a big need especially with aging players at these positions.
5. Rackers will be a free agent. Perhaps it's time to look for another kicker.
6. Give Whisenhunt a new contract. He certainly is the key to our success.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern was wide open receivers in the 3rd and 4th qtr. How can they be so wide open? Why wasn't Toler used more?

And when we did have a DB there they whiffed on the tackle. 5 straight TDs we gave up.

Last edited:

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Great write up Mitch as always...

a few follow ups:

1 - By way of this note, I would liek to apologize to Levi Brown. Great job sir...keep it up and we are going far.

2 - More importantly, you addressed Kevin Spencer's lack of coaching on neil Rackers as it relates to his routine, state-of-mind, etc. More importantly from Coach Spencer, if I can turn to my wife and say "The ONLY way the Packers get back into this game is an onsides kick here" (to which she replied "what's that?", nice) - why did this thought clearly never occur to Coach Spencer, or even ST Pro Bowler Sean Morey? I simply fail to comprehend why when it was obvious that Kurt was red hot and the GB D had zero chance of stopping our O, everyone on the AZ sideline assumed they would kick deep to us!?!

More than anything, that is the one play I have a real difficult time getting over from yesterday. Perhaps I can partly understand not wanting to put in the "hands" team, so as to avoid potential injury (but that's what I would have done). Worst case, why not say to Morey, Abdullah, etc - "Hold your position at the 10 yard line until the ball is kicked deep"..why are they blindly sprinting back from Crosby's 1st step??....if LSH takes a knee, or only gets a return to the 15 - who cares?? Kurt did not need a huge return - we just needed the f'ing ball!!:bang:

You simply have to coach every conceivable scenario, and that did not happen. Was this issue addressed in the post game press conference? Is there a 900 comment thread on this topic somewhere in this forum??

Awesome/crazy game, and I commend all of the extremely vocal Cards fans in attendance. Great job gang!!

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, great writeup, thanks. I thought your observation on the relationship between Warner and Q very interesting. I wonder if his (Warner) concern for Q's health isn't effecting his performance ?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me a softy, but I have no complaints. This game is about a team. A roster full of players who covers their teammates back.

No player has ever nor will ever play a perfect game....well, except for Warner :), And when one player fails, his teammate is supposed to do everything he can to pick him up. It doesn't matter if your running back fumbles, your Qb throws a pick, your db allows a td , your OL allows a sack, your wr drops a sure td pass, or your kicker misses a chip shot.

The good teams do this. The GREAT teams do this and win championships. I KNOW I have NEVER seen a more resilient, mentally tough Cardinal football team in my lifetime.

I don't know if we will make it to the Super Bowl, and if we do , if we'll win it. However, I am so proud to be a Cardinal Fan. We are a World Class organization who , not so long ago, were the laughing stock of not only the NFL, but the entire sports world.

Not anymore, Gang. We are THE Arizona Cardinals!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
-how about Doucet's last play catching the ball in traffic versus Sir Charles and with Sir Charles ripping at the ball, ripping it away from him and barreling forward another ten yards to set up what should have been the GW FG?

The Packers did that all afternoon. Hacking or ripping at the ball instead of tackling the ball carrier. It gave the Cards a bunch of extra yards which more than offset the one fumble they were able to cause.

I know it is something we see defenders do more every year but Green Bay was taking it to an extreme.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got that from watching film of the Cards second 49er game. Great job by our guys of keeping a firm grip on the football.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
dylanbw, the onside kick let the Packers back into the game. It's ironic that a team that lived by the sword (onside kick) almost died by it. And I remember the statement by two Cardinal fans, when I was at the Arizona-Buffalo game, last year, and he was attempting a FG. They said, "his kicks are like a box of Rackers Jack, there's a surprise in every kick".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard