Game 11 (AZ 3 SEA 19) Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
BA has been sticking to a formula of keeping the score close for three quarters and finding a way to win games in the 4th quarter, almost to perfection for the first 10 weeks.

The good news is that BA's Cardinals have been very good at playing situational football and they have shown up big-time in 4th quarters. The one drawback has been that the mentality has not been to put away teams---for every game has been close. What's so curious is that---have you ever known a 9-1 team that didn't at least once win in a lopsided fashion?

Heading into this game, the Cardinals, by virtue of a three game lead in the NFC West standings, had a unique opportunity to stick a fork in the World Champion Seahawks---and the Cardinals had the luxury of playing the game like they were playing with house money.

Therefore, to watch a BA offense and special teams play so utterly soft, predictable and ultra conservative in this game is mystifying.

Having watched the tape of the previous week's Chiefs' win over the Seahawks---in which the Chiefs came from behind to win in the 4th quarter---may have convinced the coach that his Cardinals could match what the Chiefs did---as in---get 159 yards rushing and 2 TDs from Jamaal Charles and therefore only have the QB (Alex Smith) go 11/18 for 108 yards, 0 TDs and 0 interceptions. In addition, only one Chiefs' WR caught a pass---all the other receptions were to RBs and TEs. So, perhaps in BA's mind it wasn't so terrible after all that Larry Fitzgerald couldn't play or that the team could concede that Richard Sherman would have his way blanketing Michael Floyd.

This might account for why BA was running on running downs and passing only when necessary.

But---the Chiefs are bigger and stronger up front---Jamaal Charles is an elite RB who hits small creases in a flash---and---they were playing at home and therefore did not have to snap the ball on silent counts. Plus, the Seahawks were minus their big playmaker in the middle, Bobby Wagner.

In the Cardinals' 14-6 win over the Lions---Drew Stanton's use of the hard count was a significant factor in the outcome.

The silent count really puts offensive tackles manned up versus speed rushers at a distinct disadvantage, as we saw with Bobby Massie and his struggles on the edge. To Massie's credit, he adjusted by riding the cat-quick Bruce Irvin wide of Stanton most of the second half, but, by then Stanton was feeling the pressure and was having to step up into the pocket faster than any QB would want.

Usually BA's offense tries to take 4-5 "deep shots" a game. In this game there was only one deep shot and it came when Stanton was able to flush the pocket to his left and throw deep down the middle to John Brown who was bear hugged on the play for a PI flag by Cam Chancellor.

Why BA elected not to chip on Bruce Irvin is another mystery. The Seahawks' DBs are big and physical, but they are not especially fast. Failing to put deep threat pressure on them in this game played right into Pete Carroll's hands.

But the crux is that teams understand the Cardinals' run blocking schemes and tendencies so well now that everything the offense tries to do between the tackles is null and void. There is not one legitimate run mauler in the starting five. This is an offensive line built for the passing game.

To watch the diminutive and ailing Andre Ellington take his weekly punishment between the tackles over and over again is cringe inducing at this point. Why not put the one rugged RB in Robert Hughes and use him as a Vic Ballard type? Obviously, BA has little to no confidence in Stepfan Taylor or Marion Grice. But why not go Jumbo when need be and try some power isolations with a power type RB? Hughes has gotten good forward push on his FB dives in short yardage situations. How about lining him up as a single RB, motion block with one of the TEs and let him run downhill?

Now---what we saw from Ellington at WR in this game is a hint at his exciting future in this offense. He is practically unstoppable in the slot and a threat for chunk yards if Stanton can throw the ball to him on time and lead him. An offense with Fitz and Floyd wide and Ellington and John Brown in the slots is going to give any defense fits.

As for Floyd---it looked as if BA and Stanton were simply conceding a Sherman blanket---otherwise why didn't they motion him around so as to give him some freedom of movement off the snap?

Jaron Brown could have had a big day---he had some very favorable matchups. On the TD drop, he made the mistake of jumping for the ball when he didn't have to and thus lost his eye concentration.

John Brown made several outstanding catches tightroping the sidelines. Once BA starts running him more on speed drags over the middle, his production may skyrocket.

John Carlson also could have had a big day---and he had a couple of nice catches---but was not targeted enough on play action. Rob Housler? He's another epitome of soft---it's hard to understand what BA sees in him and why he puts up with him. Same as Ted Ginn, Jr., who is about as lackluster, lethargic and undependable a return man as the Cardinals have had in years.

What added to the mystery of the play calling was with very good field position after forcing a three and out on yet the 6th sack of Russell Wilson at the very start the 2nd half (coaches' dream)---is after the perfunctory first down run---the Cardinals calling a read option to Stanton versus a team that practices against it every day...which resulted in a 3 yard loss and yet another unsuccessful 3rd and long---setting up the biggest momentum swing in the game: the blocked punt.

How in the world Stepfan Taylor wasn't out there is mind-boggling---as was the weak effort Rashad Johnson made in blocking the rusher, DeShawn Shead. Taylor and Johnson are typically two ST players the coaches can count on. But, not in this game.

It's very frustrating to see how soft the offense and STs were in light of how hard and ferocious the defense was playing. Boy oh boy did Todd Bowles have his players prepared for this game! How about the job he and they did defending the read option. How about Bowles for starting DE Josh Mauro at LDE with express purpose and crashing down to hammer Marshawn Lynch. Mauro looked like J.J. Watt in this role---BAM. he was hammering Lynch. Talk about taking the romance out of the read option. Then they scissor covered Wilson with the safety---alas, Rashad Johnson blew the first one when he lunged and lost outside contain---but made up for it the next time---as did Tyrann Mathieu who played let Wilson commit first before tossing him down with ease---as did Deone Bucannon who chased Wilson like a cheetah chasing a wildebeast.

Once again Bowles set up the Russell Wilson Corral---funneling Wilson inside wgere Calais Campbell, Frostee Rucker, Mauro, Alex Okafor and Tommy Kelly were pinning him down.

Wilson deserves a ton of credit however---he still had the presence to influence FS Johnson on the look-left---throw-deep-right to Ricardo Lockett---and Wilson solved the blitz by lobbing safety valve passes to Marshawn Lynch who was left wide open twice...and when his team has momentum Wilson is super tough and deceptive---great pass he threw to TE Cooper Helfet who turned the play into an acrobatic TD (the only TD of the day). TE Tony Moeaki led the Seahawks with 4 catches for 34 yards---and Luke Wilson had 1 catch for 20 yards---so the Seahawks' TE combined for 6/75/12.5/1 TD. Not so good for the Cardinals on that count. An area that still needs improvement.

Lynch had one 13 yard run---other than that, his other 14 runs went for 26 yards and he took one heckuva pounding in the process.

Aside from the 49 yard Lockett reception the Seahawks' WRs were non-factors in this game.

It's pretty clear that the Cardinals cannot afford to lose Todd Bowles---and would it be out of the realm of possibility to think that Michael Bidwill might pull off an unprecedented move---which is to promote Bowles to co-Head Coach and pay him as a head coach? This would be a dream come true for BA because of his relationship with Bowles and because he will know that the team is in the right hands when he retires.

Honestly---this is the most outstanding defensive coaching from a Cardinals' coach certainly in my 52 years as a fan. This is like watching Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel. This is an authentic and thoroughly brilliant masterpiece.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great write up as usual Mitch but you failed to mention Butler. His Pop Warner punts did nothing but give Seattle great field position all day. That(and the blown coverage on the long pass) were why they went up 9-0 in the first half. BASK has done a good job filling holes and depth with decent enough players but they really crapped the bed with Butler. I would rather have Sav Rocca than Butler at this point.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Great write up Mitch. I totally agree about the defense. It is a thing of beauty. With that being said, I'd like to know your thoughts on Stanton. From what I've seen so far he looks like what he was, a backup. He stares down receivers and is inaccurate. Particularly in the short passing game.

Give me some hope Mitch (or anyone). Can the Cards actually win the Super Bowl with Stanton at QB?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, I can't see Todd Bowles being made a co-coach. Won't happen. When we lost our last DC, we thought we'd be in big trouble. Enter Coach Bowles. There are other DC's out there. Just have to find the right guy.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, I can't see Todd Bowles being made a co-coach. Won't happen. When we lost our last DC, we thought we'd be in big trouble. Enter Coach Bowles. There are other DC's out there. Just have to find the right guy.

When (if) Bowles gets a H-C job, he'll request to interview someone on our staff for his D-C.... THAT's the guy we promote!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great write up as usual Mitch but you failed to mention Butler. His Pop Warner punts did nothing but give Seattle great field position all day. That(and the blown coverage on the long pass) were why they went up 9-0 in the first half. BASK has done a good job filling holes and depth with decent enough players but they really crapped the bed with Butler. I would rather have Sav Rocca than Butler at this point.

Good point---punting outside can sure expose a punter's weaknesses and Butler has a slower than normal delivery and as you said he's more of a lobber than a driver. Next 4 games are all indoors, so that should help.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great write up Mitch. I totally agree about the defense. It is a thing of beauty. With that being said, I'd like to know your thoughts on Stanton. From what I've seen so far he looks like what he was, a backup. He stares down receivers and is inaccurate. Particularly in the short passing game.

Give me some hope Mitch (or anyone). Can the Cards actually win the Super Bowl with Stanton at QB?

Sean, I think to be fair we almost have to be as patient in evaluating Stanton as we would with a rookie---the guy hasn't even started ten games yet in his career---and there is no teacher like in-game experience.

I didn't think the play calling helped Stanton very much in this game. It was too predictable and conservative. Not sure why BA called the run game "efficient"---it was downright poor. For any inexperienced QB, the lack of a running game puts greater pressure on him. And having to go on a silent count all game and have to step back so quickly into the pocket as he did because of edge pressure, it made it all the more difficult for his to set his feet on his throws...thus, the inaccuracy.

Stanton has a good arm---and he's a good deep passer when given time---plus, he's gritty. Let's see how he responds. Have faith in the QB Whisperer!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Garth: I think Mike Bidwill will do something special to keep Bowles in Cardinals' red....perhaps even a written promise that he will be the HC when BA retires, and that in the interim he will be paid handsomely (he already received what he called a very generous and unexpected raise).

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I feel the same Mitch, I think is astounding that John Brown has not been used on more slants where his speed would be hell to stop... the guy runs great routes and it is frustrating we do not seem him in routes where he is hit in stride running with the ball

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I feel the same Mitch, I think is astounding that John Brown has not been used on more slants where his speed would be hell to stop... the guy runs great routes and it is frustrating we do not seem him in routes where he is hit in stride running with the ball

Roy Green! Just the thought of The Juke in one slot and Smokey in the other is beyond exciting. The Juke is the best receiver on the team, not named Larry. Smokey is gaining steam.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Ellington in the passing game can be exciting... if however, he chooses to catch the damn ball. He dropped two passes yesterday, one that was right in his hands with nobody near him in the flat. The other was a bit more difficult, but the ball did hit BOTH of his hands... He needs to make those catches.

Stanton is a indeed a back-up for a reason. His accuracy leaves a TON to be desired. And, his deep balls - line the one he threw to John Brown that resulted in a PI call - lose steam and in many instances (not all as he clearly through a beauty of a game-winner to Smokey against the Rams), are wounded ducks fluttering through the air...

Somehow, this team needs to get to 12 wins... Not sure if they can do it with Stanton at the helm and Ellington as our primary back. 11 wins and we will host a first round playoff game and if we win, we'll be up in Green Bay for the Conference Championship. 12 wins and it all takes place at UoP.
Somehow, our defense is going to have not only continue to be LIGHTS OUT and limit the opposing offense, but they're gonna have to put up some points as well...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I love our D just like the next fan....but facts are facts...they played too aggressively and lost discipline in this game....they still did an outstanding job.....but all season long we have seen guys get a release into the backfield...recognize it as a screen, and drop back to fill the lane rather than continuing to pursue....against seattle they just kept pursuing....not a single time did I see one of our guys recognize and react to breakup the screen plays....had they done so this game may have went into OT at 3-3

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Ellington in the passing game can be exciting... if however, he chooses to catch the damn ball. He dropped two passes yesterday, one that was right in his hands with nobody near him in the flat. The other was a bit more difficult, but the ball did hit BOTH of his hands... He needs to make those catches.

Stanton is a indeed a back-up for a reason. His accuracy leaves a TON to be desired. And, his deep balls - line the one he threw to John Brown that resulted in a PI call - lose steam and in many instances (not all as he clearly through a beauty of a game-winner to Smokey against the Rams), are wounded ducks fluttering through the air...

Somehow, this team needs to get to 12 wins... Not sure if they can do it with Stanton at the helm and Ellington as our primary back. 11 wins and we will host a first round playoff game and if we win, we'll be up in Green Bay for the Conference Championship. 12 wins and it all takes place at UoP.
Somehow, our defense is going to have not only continue to be LIGHTS OUT and limit the opposing offense, but they're gonna have to put up some points as well...

I think to judge Stanton on his small sample size as a starter is not fair at this point. Hey, that Seattle defense made a guy named Peyton Manning look pretty bad, didn't they? And in last year's Super Bowl that wasn't even in their own stadium, where, as we know, it's as tough an environment as there is.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think to judge Stanton on his small sample size as a starter is not fair at this point. Hey, that Seattle defense made a guy named Peyton Manning look pretty bad, didn't they? And in last year's Super Bowl that wasn't even in their own stadium, where, as we know, it's as tough an environment as there is.

Mitch, trust me buddy... I would LOVE for Stanton to become something, anything, more than a back-up! But I honestly don't see it...
I love his guts and his willingness to play aggressively. He is not programmed to be a game-manager, and I REALLY like that. However, I honestly don't believe he has "starter" ability. His throws just aren't good enough and his reads aren't either.

Atlanta's defense is dead LAST in the NFL in yards per game, and 23rd in points per game. Given the defenses we play the rest of the way after Atlanta (Chiefs, 9ers, Rams and Seattle), this should be the game where Stanton is able to produce, no?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We didn't stretch the field enough. I believe our only hope in the passing game was to utilize our speed and connect on some deep bombs. Burning them in that way was really our only hope considering our lack of run game, which should have been expected vs them, and their short pass cover skills are just too much for a 2nd string qb like Stanton. Our only advantage on offense was Stanton's big arm and our speed over the top.

I blame coach for not game planning more in this area, if in fact he didn't.

BLRIGHT

Reaction score
Some Issues with Your Post

"BA has been sticking to a formula of keeping the score close for three quarters and finding a way to win games in the 4th quarter, almost to perfection for the first 10 weeks."

Are you saying that BA is keeping the offense conservative to avoid turnovers to keep the game close? The answer is no. The offense has been ineffective because (i) we can't run the ball consistently and (ii) our short to medium passing game has been inconsistent at best (and, yesterday, completely ineffective).

"Having watched the tape of the previous week's Chiefs' win over the Seahawks---in which the Chiefs came from behind to win in the 4th quarter---may have convinced the coach that his Cardinals could match what the Chiefs did---as in---get 159 yards rushing and 2 TDs from Jamaal Charles and therefore only have the QB (Alex Smith) go 11/18 for 108 yards, 0 TDs and 0 interceptions.". . . . This might account for why BA was running on running downs and passing only when necessary."

How could you think this? KC ranks fourth in rushing; we rank 31st, and Seattle ranks 6th in rushing defense. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing). Plus both Ellington and Taylor are hurt.

"Usually BA's offense tries to take 4-5 "deep shots" a game. In this game there was only one deep shot and it came when Stanton was able to flush the pocket to his left and throw deep down the middle to John Brown who was bear hugged on the play for a PI flag by Cam Chancellor."

I'm not sure what game you watched. First, Brown caught a "deep shot" on the toe tap sideline play. Stanton threw down the field several times, including two (I believe) to Floyd, one of which was in the end zone and was batted down. That's the problem. We are now known as the team that takes the "deep shot," and this game was no exception.

Don't get me wrong; I think BA is an outstanding coach overall. But we are now being outschemed on offense. First, we NEVER run no-huddle to control the blitz and to dictate personnel. That should have happened yesterday. Second, if we are going to commit to the run with our diminutive, injured back (which I fully support), why not more two-back sets? Why not more running outside the tackles? Why not more traps? Why not better draw plays? Why was virtually every screen pass we threw (with one exception to Ellington) immediately diagnosed by the defense? This is a combination of poor game-planning and poor execution.

The defense played well for most of the game. But the offense's complete failure led us to take more chances, leaving us exposed. We either sacked Wilson or we gave up big chunks of yardage on runs or breakdowns in coverage. Nonetheless, I will not pin this loss on the D.

The big concern is that we have now been exposed on offense. Stanton is tough and has a strong arm, but he lacks touch on a lot of his throws and stares down receivers. Our running game has become soft and vanilla. Thankfully, if our D remains consistent, we will be in every game. But I don't think the current state of affairs is because of game planning to make Drew Stanton a game-manager.

It's time for BA to earn his paycheck as an offensive coordinator.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My guess is they're afraid of his size. He's built to be a fly receiver but at 179lbs they might think he's too small for over the middle type stuff. I'm not doubting he can catch the ball but the possibility of getting his by those monster safeties or LB's might jar the ball loose. I dunno, it's a theory.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Amen Mitch good post.

BA's game plan boggled my mind. He did totally opposite of what he's preached in "firing all his bullets" & "we ain't won ****" comment last week.

I'm not sure if he was conservative because Fitz was out or he didn't want to see Stanton hurt. Anyhow I hated it. When you have an deer or other hunter animal wounded you put it out if it's misery & don't let it get back up with a chance to run & if the Cards would've beat the Hawks we might have done just that. Now they have confidence again & are getting peeps healthy.

1) it's time...Coop needs to start this Sunday in Atlanta. The win streak is over, Ellingtons stats are getting worse (47 carries 87 yds) the last 3 games & the defenses we're facing the rest of the way are top notch minus Atlanta.

2) I see Fitz sitting at least 1 more week cause reports are he couldn't run a lick all week & also had issues walking...usually a 3-4 wk injury anyway.

3) Floyd has to rebound. Jurecki reported BA said afterward he should've targeted him more. Alarming considering I believe it was once or twice

4) Atlanta is a must win

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Mitch, trust me buddy... I would LOVE for Stanton to become something, anything, more than a back-up! But I honestly don't see it...
I love his guts and his willingness to play aggressively. He is not programmed to be a game-manager, and I REALLY like that. However, I honestly don't believe he has "starter" ability. His throws just aren't good enough and his reads aren't either.

Atlanta's defense is dead LAST in the NFL in yards per game, and 23rd in points per game. Given the defenses we play the rest of the way after Atlanta (Chiefs, 9ers, Rams and Seattle), this should be the game where Stanton is able to produce, no?

How bout now Mitch?? Can we judge Stanton now??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard