Game 1 Impressions: Cardinals 17 Rams 13

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
Great write up Mitch

IMO you hit the nail squarley on the head with this:
* Forcing the ball to a sub-par Larry Fitzgerald was not wise in this game. It was clear---as Fitz lamented himself to the media leading up to the game---that he and Anderson have not had the time to develop their timing and chemistry. The truth is---chemistry and timing are developed in practice, not in games. It's like trying to change your golf swing while in the middle of a round on the course: it never works. You have to make the changes on the range.

* What concerns me about Fitz---certainly not as much as making sure he gets healthy---are these looks of exasperation from him, especially in light of the splash he made in the media this week, first by declaring that he had nothing to do with the Leinart situation and then bemoaning the fact that he and Anderson had not yet developed a chemistry. I have issues with both of those sound bites: (1) OK-Fitz-you had nothing to do with Leinart's situation, but when your friend Cris Carter was calling out ML in the national media you did not diffuse the talk---all you needed to say at the time was that Carter did not speak for you---you did not do that, thus allowing for the speculation that you were worried about getting hurt with ML as QB to gain more credibility; (2) OK-you and Anderson haven't built chemistry because you have been hurt---it's not his fault. He tried to appease you by throwing 15 times in your direction, where on most of those occasions you were very well covered by Ron Bartell. It was not what was best for the team in this game. Anderson also threw a good fade pass to you in the end zone that if you were healthy you would have caught. My point is---you need to take some pressure off your new QB---and focus your energies and rhetoric on helping the team win, even if it means being a decoy on some plays for now.

spot on

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Dont think Lyle hit Fitz when in motion. Derek wasn't looking for the snap when it came and was looking a different direction. Still may have been Lyle's fault for snapping to soon when Derek didnt ask for it but he didnt hit Fitz.

Also the fade pass to Fitz in the end zone was not on Fitz. Anderson showed no touch and rocketed it into the back pylon. Fitz was expecting a touch jump ball instead, which is what he is used to, which is what he is best at, which is why Fitz slowed down and started to jump instead of run for the pylon. Just a case of the two not on the same page.

On many of the passes to Fitz I am sure some of the 15 targets Fitz could have made something out of it, but the other half just were not thrown well at all and not even Fitz could have made those overthrown or under thrown passes. But I agree they were clearly not on the same page when the route broke down or when the pressure was on and Fitz broke off his route to help the QB. Not sure why Anderson kept using him as his main target if they were that far off chemistry wise and if Fitz wasn't healthy enough to catch the mediocre or bad pass?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post Mitch!

One question... why did you leave Komar off your Special teams report? I thought he looked terrible back there returning punts. What's your take on the punt returner situation?

Reaction score
According to Whis today, Watson tweaked his ankle during practice
I also was wondering about Watson. I really hope that before too long it is Watson and Williams holding down the NT. I appricate what contributions B-Rob has made to the Cardinals, he has been critical in the transition to 3-4 D. Now it's time for Watson and Williams to step up...

Before knowing that Watson's ankle is tweaked, I was thinking if they are going to keep him inactive, they might as well see if they can get something in trade for him. I believe Watson's contract is up after this season and if he can't oust Robinson at this point he will be gone next season anyway.

Also if anyone has any question or doubt about Whisenhunt's committment to Anderson; i.e. - if you think you are going to see Hall play anytime soon; listen to Monday's presser comments. http://www.azcardinals.com/photos-v...0d81#?id=643ae4dc-3139-4c03-bfb1-116383a00d81

Whiz really likes and believes in Derek Anderson. Short of injury :stick:, Anderson will be the Cardinals QB for the forseeable future, and he will not be pulled due to poor or erratic play in favor of Hall.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Whiz really likes and believes in Derek Anderson. Short of injury :stick:, Anderson will be the Cardinals QB for the forseeable future, and he will not be pulled due to poor or erratic play in favor of Hall.

Unfortunately, with the way DA got pounded by the Rams pass rush, I can't see him making it through the season.

I have a sinking feeling we may see quite a bit of Max this season.

Hope I'm wrong.

Go Cards!!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Whiz is pretty straightforward but I don't think too many coaches would say after 1 game yeah if he doesn't play well he's going to get benched. At this point he knows DA needs to work with Fitz, and he needs to continue to learn the system, so he'll do everything he can to help that happen.

But if DA continues to be that hot and cold and Hall looks good in practice, Whiz will certainly consider a change at some point IMHO.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Great writeup Mitch. You are one of the reasons I like reading the posts here.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
My thoughts are below Yeahbuts where I drew the line in the middle of his response, thanks.

Mitch, when you have time, I would like to hear your thought how the Cards will defend Tony Gonzales in Atlanta. I'm hopefull that between Toler and DRC that Roddy White will be contained well enough.

Who the hell in our linebacking core will be able to handle Gonzoles??? Wilson at safety has failed pretty miserably in this assignment in the past, so I am open to any suggestion you may have.

gracias en antemano

First of all, thanks to everyone for your kind responses (sorry I couldn't respond sooner, I have a lot of work these days)...and I would like to give a special shout out to Doug...I am so happy to see you posting again...you are the man...and let's not forget great friend...like Whiz says...we do this together!

As for your question MYB...and it's a great one...

Here's what we can expect, imo, regarding Gonzalez. I think Davis will keep DRC at RCB to shut down the QB's left side, and keep Toler as the roll-up LCB with a safety behind. Thus...

(1) When TG (Gonzalez) is to the one receiver side, he will be covered by the CB to that side...unless Davis blitzes the CB and switches with the LB to that side or one of the safeties.

I also see the scenario that Davis used versus the Rams where he runs Rhodes up to the edge to either blitz or pick up TG man-to-man.

(2) When Gonzalez is the inside receiver to the two receiver side, Davis has a combination of cover options:

A. He can roll AW up to play him man;
B. He can roll AW up as if he is going to play TG man to man, and blitz him instead with the LB to his side switching over to TG on his release...or he can "invert" AW on the snap by having his sprint back to the deep middle, and play either zone underneath with a rolled up CB (Toler) or have the LB cover him man to man;
C. He can bring in a third safety (Matt Ware) and have Ware press and shadow him. Or keep Ware over the top of Toler and bring Kerry Rhodes up to cover TG. The point is...we will see a combination of different covers and schemes to try to keep Matt Ryan and TG off-balance, much the way they did with Brett Favre last year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whiz is pretty straightforward but I don't think too many coaches would say after 1 game yeah if he doesn't play well he's going to get benched. At this point he knows DA needs to work with Fitz, and he needs to continue to learn the system, so he'll do everything he can to help that happen.

But if DA continues to be that hot and cold and Hall looks good in practice, Whiz will certainly consider a change at some point IMHO.
Did you watch Whiz's Monday presser?

I am not going to say that it's impossible that Whisenhunt could go with Hall at some point. What I am saying is, if anyone was thinking, as it crossed my mind during the third quarter of the game vs. StL, "I'd rather see what Hall can do, than this crap" it's not going to happen anytime soon. And not likely at anytime this season!

Whisenhunt believes in Derek Anderson! You can read it in his eyes and hear it in his voice in that presser. Whiz likes the grit Anderson has. Yes, he knows that Anderson has some significant flaws in his game, but Whisenhunt believes that they can be corrected.

There are some posters on here that believe that Anderson's flaws cannot be corrected. I don't know which side is right. But as best as I can determine right now, Anderson is not going to be held on a short leash. Simply put, considering the three QB's available on the roster, Anderson gives the Cardinals the best chance to win, and that isn't going to change anytime this season.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
"I'd rather see what Hall can do, than this crap" it's not going to happen anytime soon. And not likely at anytime this season!

Well, if the o-line continues to play O-Lay with the defenders, we will see Hall much sooner than ya think... :bang:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, if the o-line continues to play O-Lay with the defenders, we will see Hall much sooner than ya think... :bang:

No kidding. When you have the offensive linemen talking about how tough the QB is for withstanding all the hits he's taking you've got problems.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, when you have time, I would like to hear your thought how the Cards will defend Tony Gonzales in Atlanta. I'm hopefull that between Toler and DRC that Roddy White will be contained well enough.

Who the hell in our linebacking core will be able to handle Gonzoles??? Wilson at safety has failed pretty miserably in this assignment in the past, so I am open to any suggestion you may have.

gracias en antemano

I know you asked this question of Mitch, but I have been thinking about it, and I believe that Daryl Washington is fast enough to cover Gonzales out in the the middle routes. I just don't know if he has the technique to defend one on one with Tony, or if he is strong enough to tackle him at only 230 lbs. It might be worth trying though-----after all, he is so young and inexperienced that maybe he doesn't know (yet), that one person can't cover Gonzales. He might just go out and do it simply because he (believes) he can, and no one has told him he can't.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Did you watch Whiz's Monday presser?

I am not going to say that it's impossible that Whisenhunt could go with Hall at some point. What I am saying is, if anyone was thinking, as it crossed my mind during the third quarter of the game vs. StL, "I'd rather see what Hall can do, than this crap" it's not going to happen anytime soon. And not likely at anytime this season!

Whisenhunt believes in Derek Anderson! You can read it in his eyes and hear it in his voice in that presser. Whiz likes the grit Anderson has. Yes, he knows that Anderson has some significant flaws in his game, but Whisenhunt believes that they can be corrected.

There are some posters on here that believe that Anderson's flaws cannot be corrected. I don't know which side is right. But as best as I can determine right now, Anderson is not going to be held on a short leash. Simply put, considering the three QB's available on the roster, Anderson gives the Cardinals the best chance to win, and that isn't going to change anytime this season.

Good assesment Cardlogic: Whiz does like the grit that Anderson brings to this party-----AND HE KNOWS THAT THE PLAYERS DO TOO. Whiz also believes that hard work and good instruction will improve Anderson enough to where his play is not just acceptable, but welcomed. Anderson is a good fit for this team. He possesses the toughness and grit that Warner had, PLUS, he has the arm strength that Kurt no longer could muster. His mental discipline is EXACTLY in line with what Whiz, (and the team), want and need. Whiz believes he can correct the touch and accuracy enough to make it worthwhile. Whiz has not yet given me reason to doubt his judgement, (though I would still prefer him not calling plays during the games).

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
There are some posters on here that believe that Anderson's flaws cannot be corrected.

Ding ding ding ding....winner winner chicken dinner.

How long of a leash will Whiz give Anderson?

Game 2.....game 3....game 4....game 5.....let's give him one more game after the bye week?

I'd say after 6 weeks that we'll know whether we're riding Secretariat or the Titanic.

Stay tuned.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Anderson really has brought the team alive. And that he hopefully will be in AZ for a long time. Not just beyond the two years that he signed originally.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anderson really has brought the team alive. And that he hopefully will be in AZ for a long time. Not just beyond the two years that he signed originally.

If Max Hall is still on the team, Anderson, provided he is successful, will never be resigned but replaced with Hall. You only have so much room for big contracts and that is what Anderson will want if he is successful. Heck ! Who knows they might do something smart like trade him in the offseason if he has a good year this year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd say after 6 weeks that we'll know whether we're riding Secretariat or the Titanic.

Or Something in between like a Ford Focus.

It doesnt have to be all or nothing, black or white with the guy. He could just live in average land.

As long as he doesn't turn it over, we just might have something worth looking more into.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Or Something in between like a Ford Focus.

It doesnt have to be all or nothing, black or white with the guy. He could just live in average land.

Exactly... I asked the question a few weeks back to all of the DA bashers - what would success look like? What does DA need to do in order to prove his worth?
It was comical actually as hardly a person could toss out a legit response.
IMHO, these people seem to have been spoiled by the type of performances Warner would produce, and yet, somehow believe that Matty was "the guy" who could step in and replicate Kurt's production.

Anyway, I'm with you entirely on this one. I can easily see DA producing at slightly better than "middle of the pacK" levels, putting up mid-20's in TD's and 15 or less INT's. 3,500 yards or so. A QB rating in the mid to high 80's. And all of that being enough to put us in a position to hit 9-10 wins and a division championship.

Of course, there are so many other factors that contribute to the ultimate W or L. We're gonna need to see serious improvement in pass protection, much more error-free production from our running game, hopefully Fitz getting healthier and stronger, and since Doucet can't last more than a few plays - we're gonna need our back-ups to step-up in a big way!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If "hot" is points and "cold" is three and out... Whiz will stick with DA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard