Gambo: There is little to no trade market for Brandon Knight

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If it is indeed their intention, the Phoenix Suns will have a tough time dealing backup guard Brandon Knight before the trade deadline, according to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM’s John Gambadoro.

There is little trade market for the 25-year-old guard averaging 12.2 points, 2.6 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game this year, an NBA front office member told Gambadoro.

The reasoning? Knight has been analytically below-average and is on a contract that escalates from $12.6 million this year to $15.6 million paid out in 2019-20, the final year of the deal.

Furthermore, playoff contenders searching for an extra piece don’t have the cap space to make room for such a large contract, the front office member said.

Gambadoro’s source added that the analytics view Knight as “below replacement level.”

According to Basketball-Reference.com, Knight has the worst Value Over Replacement Player (minus 0.4) on the Suns. That ranks 19th-worst in the NBA of players that qualify for the minutes played per game leaderboard.

Additionally, Knight ranks second-to-last of 450 NBA players with a season plus-minus of minus-7.4.

Through 38 appearances of the Suns’ 41 games, he is shooting 39 percent from the field and 35 percent from three in 22.3 minutes per outing.

http://arizonasports.com/story/995650/trade-market-suns-brandon-knight/amp/?client=safari
Not sure if Gambo still has reliable sources but this is a bummer. It makes sense why since like the article states, he has some of the worst advanced stats in the league and there's actually nothing that he does well.

Still hope McDonough can take care of this mess that he himself created in the first place by acquiring Knight. If he can get rid of Kieff for good value then I'm hopeful that he can get something done here. I'd accept even a mid to late first for Knight at this point as long as we don't have to take back some awful contract.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Knight has already been traded twice. Nobody else is falling for it. At least not for anything of value.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Knight has already been traded twice. Nobody else is falling for it. At least not for anything of value.
The value we should seek would be the ol' addition by subtraction. Not having Knight tie up a rotation spot would open it up for value.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Yeah, they might be able to trade him for somebody elses hot mess but definitely nothing of value. In 5 years we may look back on this as the worst trade in Suns history. Especially if that pick turns out to be an All Star.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Gambo still has reliable sources but this is a bummer. It makes sense why since like the article states, he has some of the worst advanced stats in the league and there's actually nothing that he does well.

Still hope McDonough can take care of this mess that he himself created in the first place by acquiring Knight. If he can get rid of Kieff for good value then I'm hopeful that he can get something done here. I'd accept even a mid to late first for Knight at this point as long as we don't have to take back some awful contract.

Good thread Sunsfan88.

I think it would be more likely the Suns would have to give up an asset to trade Knight rather than receive a first round pick for him. Maybe the best case scenario is to trade him for an expiring contract. Perhaps a buyout might be an option down the road but not this season. I hope McDonough can work some magic.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good thread Sunsfan88.

I think it would be more likely the Suns would have to give up an asset to trade Knight rather than receive a first round pick for him. Maybe the best case scenario is to trade him for an expiring contract. Perhaps a buyout might be an option down the road but not this season. I hope McDonough can work some magic.
Gambo also reported that a bunch of teams apparently want PJ Tucker so perhaps Tucker could be the asset the Suns use to dump Knight with?

Ultimately we might have to trade him for another bad contract. Someone like Miles Plumlee, Solomon Hill, Allen Crabbe, Meyers Leonard or Evan Turner.

Out of all those contracts, I think Turner may be the best choice because he's a playmaking SF. He's definitely overpaid and not a good player but he's the player i think who could prove most useful to the Suns out of all the other bad contracts in the league.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trade Bledsoe.. play Knight. Bled has good trade value right now...Trade him before he breaks down again.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rudy gay may have just torn his Achilles, he has a player option this summer.

Cousins contract situation may be forcing kings to make the playoffs this season, so maybe they'll be more open to a trade to help cousins this year

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade Bledsoe.. play Knight. Bled has good trade value right now...Trade him before he breaks down again.
Why? The more we play Knight, the lower his value goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo also reported that a bunch of teams apparently want PJ Tucker so perhaps Tucker could be the asset the Suns use to dump Knight with?

Ultimately we might have to trade him for another bad contract. Someone like Miles Plumlee, Solomon Hill, Allen Crabbe, Meyers Leonard or Evan Turner.

Out of all those contracts, I think Turner may be the best choice because he's a playmaking SF. He's definitely overpaid and not a good player but he's the player i think who could prove most useful to the Suns out of all the other bad contracts in the league.

Any usable part or expiring contract sounds good to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expiring contracts have zero value to us. We're just as well off just letting him stay home. We won't likely need that money for a few years anyway.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Expiring contracts have zero value to us. We're just as well off just letting him stay home. We won't likely need that money for a few years anyway.
Expiring contracts have value to us because those players won't be on the roster taking up shots away from Booker and Warren after this season.

Keeping Knight on the team means he takes away shots from Booker and Warren and Bender and Chris's and whoever else we draft for the remainder of Knight's 5 years on his contract.

Plus is the young kids on the team watching Knight play basketball and being potentially influenced by him something the Suns would want?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expiring contracts have value to us because those players won't be on the roster taking up shots away from Booker and Warren after this season.

Keeping Knight on the team means he takes away shots from Booker and Warren and Bender and Chris's and whoever else we draft for the remainder of Knight's 5 years on his contract.

Plus is the young kids on the team watching Knight play basketball and being potentially influenced by him something the Suns would want?

No they don't, your point doesn't connect in any way. It isn't the expiring contract that you are suggesting has value, it's the absence of the player. Expiring contracts have ZERO value to us right now and in the foreseeable future. We are absolutely better without Knight on the court but that's a completely different argument.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no need to be in a hurry to dump Brandon Knight. As long as Watson doesn't feel compelled to play him big minutes, he doesn't hurt anything being here. Certainly, we should not give up assets to move him.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
Knight + Tucker = Derrick Rose

???

Suns can waive Rose after the trade, they have more stupid money to spend next season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight + Tucker = Derrick Rose

???

Suns can waive Rose after the trade, they have more stupid money to spend next season.

Why would we do this? Tucker actually has real value and salary relief does nothing for us, we are going to have a butt load of cap space anyway, EVERYONE will have a butt load of cap space, there wont be enough players to give stupid contracts out to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no need to be in a hurry to dump Brandon Knight. As long as Watson doesn't feel compelled to play him big minutes, he doesn't hurt anything being here. Certainly, we should not give up assets to move him.

I think this is the best way to look at it unless he becomes a chemistry problem. I'm not sure what is going on behind closed doors.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
So far Knight seems to be playing the good soldier. We haven't really seen any negative comments in the media and there's been no hint of chemistry issues. Contrast this with the Morrii who were just cancerous, I'm ok with Knight's current off-court status. We should just stop playing him any meaningful minutes and that'll resolve my issues with his on-court status.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
Why would we do this? Tucker actually has real value and salary relief does nothing for us, we are going to have a butt load of cap space anyway, EVERYONE will have a butt load of cap space, there wont be enough players to give stupid contracts out to.

PJ's future is in doubt when Suns sign Dudley. I will appreciate if any team offer a 1st rounder for PJ, but the real situation... His real value is not that high.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard