From USA Today Sports Weekly: Cards to be main players for Edgerrin James

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
USA Today Sports Weekly seems to be pretty accurate in their reporting, so I take this one kind of seriously. They mention that Edgerrin is convinced that his days with Indy are over and that come March 3rd he will be a free agent.

Later in the article the Cardinals are mentioned as the #1 suitor for James. He is described as a "perfect fit" for the Cards offense.

No other team is even mentioned as a possibility.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh please God let this be true!!!

And they're right, he would be a perfect fit with us. He can catch out of the backfield like crazy, he doesn't need to come out of the game on 3rd down, he can get short yardage when he needs to, and he's explosive. Yes, git'r done!!!

Tony W

Ride it like u stole it!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Arrington

So if this were to come to fruition, what then would be JJ's role, seeing that Edge is a 3 down back?

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Tony W said:
So if this were to come to fruition, what then would be JJ's role, seeing that Edge is a 3 down back?

Carrying his water bottle, his jock and his helmet while taking notes about not ducking under DB's that are trying to prevent a 1 yard run for a 1st down to allow us stay in a game!

JJ=Junior Jock

Last edited:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tony W said:

Flag Boy

getting James would kick ass!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony W said:

Backup RB.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Tony W said:

The guy that steal 2 touchdowns a year like Dominic Rhodes and angers fantasy football players.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Oh God let it be so... Edge in AZ with an improved O-Line, a healthy Warner, Fitz and Q could be the top offense in the NFL. 8-8 (at least) for sure.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Tony W said:

He'd learn from Edge rather than Shipp...upside all around..

seesred

Reaction score
Getting Edge would be very important to the team, the perception of the team, to the fans, and to the people waiting to buy tickets! Not to mention the get up it gives O-line players knowing I guy can run the rock.

GBR

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. But sure would be nice.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it.
Ditto.

There's nothing in the article suggesting anyone on the Cardinals said anything - on face value, it's just logical speculation.

I start getting excited after the "Dude Reported Interested", "Dude to Visit Valley", "Dude's Says Interview 'Goes Well'" and "Dude and Cards 'Talking'" articles.

Maybe then, the blood begin to tingle.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
seesred said:
Getting Edge would be very important to the team, the perception of the team, to the fans, and to the people waiting to buy tickets! Not to mention the get up it gives O-line players knowing I guy can run the rock.

GBR

This is everything in a nutshell.

Getting James, who is just beginning to reach his prime, would kill the notion that the only players who come to Arizona are either flops or those that are past their primes.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Holian said:
USA Today Sports Weekly seems to be pretty accurate in their reporting, so I take this one kind of seriously. They mention that Edgerrin is convinced that his days with Indy are over and that come March 3rd he will be a free agent.

Later in the article the Cardinals are mentioned as the #1 suitor for James. He is described as a "perfect fit" for the Cards offense.

No other team is even mentioned as a possibility.

Isn't the same news floating around that the Cards are the #1 interested in Alexander as well?

I'd be shocked if we landed either of them.

seesred

Reaction score
SeattleCard...Your picture shows you have already had shock in your life once too often.(just kidding).BUt getting one of them would shock many people in the football business

GBR

OP
OP
Lomax to Green 84

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just think the Cards are going to do something big this offseason. Way back in 2000 when the stadium vote passed, Micheal Bidwill said that once the stadium is in place we plan to go head to head with the big spenders (Washington/ Dallas etc...) and bring in some big names.

The Cards have to make a big splash. James is not only a great player, he is a big name.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
In my opinion, getting E James would be the Cards equivalent of the Suns signing Nash last year! Instant Legitimacy!

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
my question is why not the cardinals. edge would be shown the money. what other team is looking for a running game.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Edge and 1 elite interior lineman would bring instant credibility.

Imagine, a joint presser for Edge and Lecharles.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Edgerin James is a top five RB and would be an excellent "get."

Are the Cardinals are really playersin the James sweepstakes? We'll soon find out.

One thing ESPN mentioned recently. Edge is one of the very best RB's in the league at picking up blitzers. That partially explains Kurt Warner's enthusiastic support for his coming to the desert.

Talk about a ticket seller. That would do it IMO.

=========
What's different from last year at this time?

1. The Cardinals don't have to cough up a 2nd-round draft pick.

2. J.J. wasn't even close to being the answer.

3. Cardinals anemic ground game and red zone offense.

4. Green and Graves couldn't miss seeing the difference that Shaun Alexander made to Seattle's offense and how effective he was in the red zone, even given the Seahawk's excellent offensive line.

5. The need to get the band wagon crowd excited and fill the new stadium for eight home games.

Last edited:

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Snake; It isn't enough to fit into my one oversized nutshell, But I'll grant you my blood pressure raised quite noticeably, and I stained my shorts:D [-had to throw them out] as I read this whole post..I thought.. The Colts were 1 game from the Superbowl last year.. Can't they just use the Franchise or Transitional pick on him this year?? Get something back for these players..:confused: :shrug:

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
It might be a great match for us. But why would he want to come to one of the worst offensive lines in NFL history?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Worst line in NFL history? You like using hyperbole much, RigRed?

The line was above average in pass protection. But terrible at run blocking. That doesn't equate to one of the worst in NFL history.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Worst line in NFL history? You like using hyperbole much, RigRed?

The line was above average in pass protection. But terrible at run blocking. That doesn't equate to one of the worst in NFL history.

It equates to one of the worst run blocking OL's in history. His point is valid. But if we can land a decent FA or two on the OL it may go a long way in helping Edge make a decision.

Warner was also sacked every 11.5 times he threw. 3rd worst in the NFL. Hardly above average.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn