From USA Today Sports Weekly: Cards to be main players for Edgerrin James

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shane H said:
It equates to one of the worst run blocking OL's in history. His point is valid. But if we can land a decent FA or two on the OL it may go a long way in helping edge make a decision.

Warner was also sacked every 11.5 times he threw. 3rd worst in the NFL. Hardly above average.

Shane that number, as noted in another thread, is incorrect. However giving up 1 sack for every 15 pass attempts still stinks.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Shane that number, as noted in another thread, is incorrect. However giving up 1 sack for every 15 pass attempts still stinks.

Just out of curiosity how did we determine this? How are we determining whos stats are the correct ones?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
Snake; It isn't enough to fit into my one oversized nutshell, But I'll grant you my blood pressure raised quite noticeably, and I stained my shorts:D [-had to throw them out] as I read this whole post..I thought.. The Colts were 1 game from the Superbowl last year.. Can't they just use the Franchise or Transitional pick on him this year?? Get something back for these players..:confused: :shrug:

If they franchise tag him again this year doesn't he get a raise like 120% of last years salary? And, if they tag him, they first have to have the room under the cap, and he could sign it which they might not want to pay him that much and risk loosing Wayne??????

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
Snake; It isn't enough to fit into my one oversized nutshell, But I'll grant you my blood pressure raised quite noticeably, and I stained my shorts:D [-had to throw them out] as I read this whole post..I thought.. The Colts were 1 game from the Superbowl last year.. Can't they just use the Franchise or Transitional pick on him this year?? Get something back for these players..:confused: :shrug:

They already said they are goig to franchise Reggie Wayne, not Edge.

They are not going to put the franchise tag on Edge over Wayne becuase it would cost close to 10 Mill. against their cap if Edge is tagged. That number is 120% of his last years salary.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
However giving up 1 sack for every 15 pass attempts still stinks.

Actually it is almost perfectly average.

Here are the numbers for the whole league for Passing Attempts per Sack.

Indianapolis 25.75
Cincinnati 25.62
Green Bay 23.19
Miami 21.38
Denver 20.22
New England 20.14
New York (N) 19.93
Tennessee 19.16
Seattle 17.56
San Diego 16.97
Detroit 16.77
Carolina 16.04
Kansas City 15.84
Washington 15.52
Jacksonville 15.22
Arizona 14.89
Philadelphia 14.76
New Orleans 13.49
Chicago 13.48
Baltimore 13.38
Oakland 13.13
St. Louis 13.02
Tampa Bay 11.88
Pittsburgh 11.84
Atlanta 11.56
Cleveland 11.07
Buffalo 10.67
Dallas 10.00
Minnesota 9.44
New York (A) 8.87
San Francisco 8.10
Houston 6.60

But considering how many different line combinations we had from injuries and the fact that DE's and DT's new that we were going to pass and could pin their ears back, I think our pass blocking this past year was actually above average. Better then they are given credit for IMO.

Now the run blocking and penalties, that is a different story.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
We where also above average in pass protection in 04' as well. But we didn't have the injuries in 04' that we did in 05'.

I get the point about the run blocking. But to call the line one of the worst in NFL history is a bit of a stretch.

I've seen far, far worse lines in the NFL. Here are some candidates from recent memory:

SF 05'.
SF 04'.
HOU 04'.
CLE 04'.
BUF 04'.
TB 04'.

All those groups ranked in the bottom end of the NFL in run AND pass blocking over the last two years.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Redsz said:
We where also above average in pass protection in 04' as well. But we didn't have the injuries in 04' that we did in 05'.

I get the point about the run blocking. But to call the line one of the worst in NFL history is a bit of a stretch.

I've seen far, far worse lines in the NFL. Here are some candidates from recent memory:

SF 05'.
SF 04'.
HOU 04'.
CLE 04'.
BUF 04'.
TB 04'.

All those groups ranked in the bottom end of the NFL in run AND pass blocking over the last two years.

Our line is suprisingly weird in that the pass blocking isn't all that bad when compared to the run blocking.

I have to think the lions share of the problem lies in coaching.

That and our line just dosen't have the right run mentality for whatever reason. I think a couple key veteran additions and new coaching can fix the problem, contained in the new coaching part is probably a few position changes as well.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
The question was about Edgerrin James wanting to come to the Cardinals anyway. Edgerrin James is a rusher, not a passer. The Cardinals had one of the worst rushing attacks in league history last season, both in total yards and yards per attempt. The fifth worst since the NFL merger, we're talking out of roughly 1000 NFL team seasons.

Redsz said:
Worst line in NFL history? You like using hyperbole much, RigRed?

The line was above average in pass protection. But terrible at run blocking. That doesn't equate to one of the worst in NFL history.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Our line is suprisingly weird in that the pass blocking isn't all that bad when compared to the run blocking.

I have to think the lions share of the problem lies in coaching.

That and our line just dosen't have the right run mentality for whatever reason. I think a couple key veteran additions and new coaching can fix the problem, contained in the new coaching part is probably a few position changes as well.

Maybe the weirdness is due to all of the injuries and the continuity issue everyone keeps talking about.

It typically takes more time to develop run blocking then pass protection.

Since we are a pass oriented Offense then more time in practice had to be spent on pass blocking schemes then run blocking. Especially since we have far more talent at WR then RB.

Warner also used a lot more dump off type passes to avoid getting crushed more often.

The defense starting getting their act together more in the 2nd half of the season which kept games closer and allowed the offense to use the dump off passes to try and move the chains instead of having to score quickly to get back in the game.

Rowen improved as the season went on with the play calling. Russ also has posted that Rowen starting getting more involved with the Oline as well.

Having written all of this it still is a bit weird that the Oline really couldn't open a hole for the RB's but could still slow down the pass rush.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Actually it is almost perfectly average.

Here are the numbers for the whole league for Passing Attempts per Sack.

But considering how many different line combinations we had from injuries and the fact that DE's and DT's new that we were going to pass and could pin their ears back, I think our pass blocking this past year was actually above average. Better then they are given credit for IMO.

Now the run blocking and penalties, that is a different story.

45 sacks is still too high. Even with the huge number of attempts the average is higher than in 2001 or 2002 and 45* is the most sacks they've given up since 1998 when Plummer was sacked once every 11 attempts.

*The Cards also gave up 45 sacks in 1999.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the run blocking isn't as bad as the guys that were running the ball just stunk. JJ played scared and Shipp forgot how to play football. Great runningbacks make their line look better. The line sucked, but the runningbacks sucked every bit as much.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Getting James would be amazing. Even though he had that huge injury, it led him to become more of a power back (5,7,9) than a home-run back (5,5,25). He is pretty much an ideal fit here.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
Maybe the run blocking isn't as bad as the guys that were running the ball just stunk. JJ played scared and Shipp forgot how to play football. Great runningbacks make their line look better. The line sucked, but the runningbacks sucked every bit as much.

When the RB gets hit when he gets the ball and the Oline is pushed back with regularity, the run blocking is that bad. Our RBs weren't that good but our Oline's run blocking was just plain awful

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
When the RB gets hit when he gets the ball and the Oline is pushed back with regularity, the run blocking is that bad. Our RBs weren't that good but our Oline's run blocking was just plain awful

Which makes it really amazing that both Fitz and Q went over 100/1400. Teams knew we couldn't run and still couldn't shut down our passing game.

Of course teams concentrated on stopping our passing game and we still couldn't run the ball.

Regardless, neither Arrington nor Shipp are top level running backs. Just the usual journeymen the cards have been trotting out for the past 10 years.

Would someone please explain why the Cards have always been able to put really good WR's on the field but not running backs?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Which makes it really amazing that both Fitz and Q went over 100/1400. Teams knew we couldn't run and still couldn't shut down our passing game.

Of course teams concentrated on stopping our passing game and we still couldn't run the ball.

Regardless, neither Arrington nor Shipp are top level running backs. Just the usual journeymen the cards have been trotting out for the past 10 years.

Would someone please explain why the Cards have always been able to put really good WR's on the field but not running backs?

I wish I knew. Maybe it's a team culture thing?

You look at Chicago and they never have good WR's. But they always tend to have sucess running the ball and with a strong defense. Now, that could just be in part of the enviroment they play in (weather) but that hasn't stopped other teams with having sucess passing the ball in bad weather (Buffalo, NE etc). They (Chicago) have the same problem with WR's that we do with RB's.

It's seems passing the ball may be the Cardinals 'image' or 'identity' to a degree.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Redsz said:
I wish I knew. Maybe it's a team culture thing?

You look at Chicago and they never have good WR's. But they always tend to have sucess running the ball and with a strong defense. Now, that could just be in part of the enviroment they play in (weather) but that hasn't stopped other teams with having sucess passing the ball in bad weather (Buffalo, NE etc). They (Chicago) have the same problem with WR's that we do with RB's.

It's seems passing the ball may be the Cardinals 'image' or 'identity' to a degree.

AIR Bidwill? :D

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

You know you've got problems when teams come out in Cover 2 on first down, which several teams did last season. Just shows how good Warner,Josh, Q and Fitz were this season.

A couple O linemen and a top five RB like James completes the picture. A top 10 offense is negated when you score FG's instead of touchdowns in the red zone. It is much easier to play pass defense when defending 15-20 yards instead of the whole field.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple O linemen and a top five RB like James completes the picture. A top 10 offense is negated when you score FG's instead of touchdowns in the red zone. It is much easier to play pass defense when defending 15-20 yards instead of the whole field.[/QUOTE]

EXCELLENT POINT!!! My Son and I watched every game. Every time we reached the 30 yard line I would say, " Throw one to the end zone right now.", because once we get inside the twenty, we became ineffective without a running game.
We started going for the endzone toward the end of the season with some success. The lack of a running game killed us in the red zone and late in games when clinging to a small lead.
I just pray the Cards Brass don't think that just 1 F/A move will solve all our running game woes.