Free Agency

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please stop making sense! You killing the irrational buzzkill right now!

Look, I get why some people are pissed because they wanted to to keep both.

What I don't get is the over the top rage for a couple of average to above average guys. Surely they can be pissed and also understand why it happened from multiple sides?

Apart from the huge hole it would blow in this year's and next years cap for a couple of oft injured guys surely they can see why Allen and Murph might have wanted to move on themselves considering next year is going to a tough one?

It's probably best for everyone.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still can’t get over Brit saying Will Anderson is a luxury pick.
You lack the ability to read between the lines. What he is saying is Anderson is one player. If you could trade down and end up with say a center, cb an edge and a Dt would that be better value for the overall roster rather than 1 player.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
You lack the ability to read between the lines. What he is saying is Anderson is one player. If you could trade down and end up with say a center, cb an edge and a Dt would that be better value for the overall roster rather than 1 player.
yes-- this.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing about reading between the lines has to do with that. Just an overall typical BritCard post.

Also, that one player could bring a bigger impact than those other players combined. In which I, & plenty others on here, believe is the case with Will Anderson. Will is a building block at the 2nd most important position in the league. You build around him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is rich coming from the guy who’s running around the board lying and projecting stupid arguments on posters because of his own inability to understand what they’re saying.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Welp, now we're doomed!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now it's official Kyler is only player left on the team from 2019 draft.

I have to hope a new regime will be better at drafting talent and that we have more guys stick around on their second contract...because Keim was AWFUL at it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Nothing about reading between the lines has to do with that. Just an overall typical BritCard post.

Also, that one player could bring a bigger impact than those other players combined. In which I, & plenty others on here, believe is the case with Will Anderson. Will is a building block at the 2nd most important position in the league. You build around him.
Also, the further you go down in the round, the less likely you're going to find a quality starter at any position.

Let's say you have a 70% chance of Will Anderson turning into a solid starter or better at #3 overall.

Maybe there's a 60% chance that your pick between 12 and 20 turns into a solid starter.
50% chance your mid-second round pick turns into a solid starter.
30% chance your third-round pick turns into a solid starter.

That's a less than 10% chance that you get three solid starters out of the trade!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is rich coming from the guy who’s running around the board lying and projecting stupid arguments on posters because of his own inability to understand what they’re saying.
Maybe you should just ignore me if I bother you so much. Sometimes a snide remark is aimed at several other snide remarks.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If done right it won’t take 4 years. We’ve watched Keim put his fingers in the dyke and then using bandaids when he ran out of fingers.
Look at what we watched this year. Look at this roster. Look at each position room. This team is decimated. 4-13 Stout…4-13. Don’t blame the new guys for this. You want to see moves that can assure us 5-6 wins? Why?

Let’s be clear. I don’t like where we are. But I’ve come to grips with where we are and how to move on from here.
It appears you’d be happy to retain Murphy and Allen. On top of that this team would have to mortgage the next 5 years of cap space to field a team that MIGHT be competitive.
This strategy should have happened the year Arians retired. But we continued to sign aging players that were coming back from injuries.
Signing guys like Watts and Green when we could have used that money to sign a couple of quality linemen.

I want to be the team next year that
has several high draft picks and a bunch of salary cap. Show improvement in 2024 and be ready to go big time in free agency.

I want us to be the 2022 Bears or the 2021 Lions. As bad as both of those teams were WE WERE JUST AS BAD THIS YEAR with a roster many believed we were going to the playoffs. I wasn’t fooled. I predicted 5-6 wins.

I’m not going to be fooled to think anything we did this year would make us a playoff contender. And 7-10 doesn’t excite me.
IDGAF about this year. We suck this year. That's fine. Keim and co did it. But ONLY counting on draft picks while letting the little talent we had already walk is not a recipe for a year 2 turnaround. You don't have to mortgage the next 5 years of cap space to sign a few nice, young, reasonably-priced FAs that we will still frakking have in 3-4 years that will hopefully be solid starter for us. Some folks think spending any money this year is investing only in this year, which is incredibly shortsighted. You cannot go crazy in FA and add 6 or so starters in 1 year. Recipe for disaster. If we go into this season devoid of any talent whatsoever, we will either have to try to do just that, or suck for another season. Two drafts and a FA starter or two next year will not be nearly enough to cut it. We need to add good young talent now as well, otherwise we're setting up for longer misery. Especially after letting that talent walk. On crippled feet, to hear @BritCard describe it lol

Stout

Reaction score
It's going to take 1 year.

We can easily go into 2024 with $100m of cap space and still retain Hump and Budda. If we trade them too we can add a boat load more.
You're wrong. We're not going to be competitive next season unless we have two HoF drafts and sign 5-6 quality starting FAs next season, neither of which is going to happen. $100 million in cap space? Yeah, 'cause it's a tried and true road to success to spend such a huge chunk of change in one FA period lol

You're wrong. Hmm, I guess it's fun to just arbitrarily tell folks that.

Reactions: PJ1

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah the picture regarding cap space this year is far worse than people think. $25m is really $17m with the draft pool. Had we signed Allen and Murphy to the same heavily weighted deals they got that would be down to $7m (and $30m off next year).

What can you do with $7m? And we still need a punter and long snapper at bare min. Probably still need to sign at least 5 cheap vets.

Zero chance of big signings this year. But this year was already dead.

Next year we can have a tonne of draft capital and cap space depending how Monti plays the draft.
Now you're just making things up. Nobody is advocating for "big signings." Literally no one.

Reactions: PJ1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now you're just making things up. Nobody is advocating for "big signings." Literally no one.

Dude. You just said you want "good, young, quality, long term signings". Well those guys cost a lot of money.

There are no good, young, quality guys that sign cheap long terms deals. They don't exist.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDGAF about this year. We suck this year. That's fine. Keim and co did it. But ONLY counting on draft picks while letting the little talent we had already walk is not a recipe for a year 2 turnaround. You don't have to mortgage the next 5 years of cap space to sign a few nice, young, reasonably-priced FAs that we will still frakking have in 3-4 years that will hopefully be solid starter for us. Some folks think spending any money this year is investing only in this year, which is incredibly shortsighted. You cannot go crazy in FA and add 6 or so starters in 1 year. Recipe for disaster. If we go into this season devoid of any talent whatsoever, we will either have to try to do just that, or suck for another season. Two drafts and a FA starter or two next year will not be nearly enough to cut it. We need to add good young talent now as well, otherwise we're setting up for longer misery. Especially after letting that talent walk. On crippled feet, to hear @BritCard describe it lol
There is so much work to do here. Any moves made today could be destroyed by injuries. Any draft picks this year could be total disasters.
Let it be known I was an annual koolaider until the start of last year. Right now I’m as dark as a darksider can be.
I just think it’s way to early in the process( I hate that word) to come to a conclusion or throw in the towel calling it a complete failure.
I see a couple of drops of koolaid just by getting rid of Keim and Kingsbury. It’s still a dark dark place with a 250m injured Qb who most question and a completely new and young regime now in charge.

Stout

Reaction score
Dude. You just said you want "good, young, quality, long term signings". Well those guys cost a lot of money.

There are no good, young, quality guys that sign cheap long terms deals. They don't exist.
There you go again, Captain Hyperbole! You can only, per @BritCard, sign cheap long-term deals or high-money deals. There are literally no mid-range FAs any longer. Whoops, too bad for us.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The two most important positions on a NFL football team now are franchise QB and an elite pass rusher, and no other positions come close. For better or worse we got our franchise QB when we had the number one pick and now we have a top pick to secure what is probably an elite pass rusher. You draft Will Anderson, you just do and be thankful you have the chance

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
The two most important positions on NFL football team now are franchise QB and an elite pass rusher, and no other positions come close. For better or worse we got our franchise QB when we had the number one pick and now we have a top pick to secure what is probably an elite pass rusher. You draft Will Anderson, you just do and be thankful you have the chance
You must be registered for see images attach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The two most important positions on a NFL football team now are franchise QB and an elite pass rusher, and no other positions come close. For better or worse we got our franchise QB when we had the number one pick and now we have a top pick to secure what is probably an elite pass rusher. You draft Will Anderson, you just do and be thankful you have the chance
Agree 100%

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There you go again, Captain Hyperbole! You can only, per @BritCard, sign cheap long-term deals or high-money deals. There are literally no mid-range FAs any longer. Whoops, too bad for us.

No, there are mid range FA deals for mid range players.

There are no mid range deals for "good, young, quality" players. They just don't exist.

It's like that quote trades people use. You can have two of quick, cheap or quality but never all 3.

You can have good, young or long term.

If you want cheap you have to lose one of them.

Stout

Reaction score
No, there are mid range FA deals for mid range players.

There are no mid range deals for "good, young, quality" players. They just don't exist.

It's like that quote trades people use. You can have two of quick, cheap or quality but never all 3.

You can have good, young or long term.

If you want cheap you have to lose one of them.
lol So, I'll just take your word for it, then, shall I?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Apart from the huge hole it would blow in this year's and next years cap for a couple of oft injured guys surely they can see why Allen and Murph might have wanted to move on themselves considering next year is going to a tough one?
This may blow your mind - they could front load a bunch of the Allen/Murphy money this year, since we have a bunch of space, no? Take advantage of the hit this year, so their cap hit is less as time goes on?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I agree on Anderson..fully on board with the "Anderson no matter what" brigade.

But I also see the value possibilities in a trade back.
Aaron Donald is a franchise cornerstone, he was drafted at 13.... for the sake of simplicity, Kancy...same school, same position, same basic body type.... could be had in that same area... if we were to trade back and grab Kancey and he is legit AD 2.0, then we also manage to get a starting Corner out of the deal, and maybe a OG......... in the long term that is far better for the team.
why?? when Anderson is at such an impactful position? Because when you only have 1 guy, a single injury can take him off the board. But had you gone the other route and made good picks...Kancey could get injured and that sucks... but you still have a starting CB and OG. In the longterm, getting more quality players just has a better chance of stability for your team. But you have to hit on those guys and that isnt easy to do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol So, I'll just take your word for it, then, shall I?

You could. Or you could show me one.

Show me a good, young, quality player that's signed a multi year deal (3 or more years) for cheap in the past week or so.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn’t fantasy football though. The Cardinals still have to field a team in 2023. You can’t sell season tickets and not put a team on the field and at least make an attempt to win games.

Those aging players that you referenced I assume are Ertz and Conner. They are already paid for this season as part of the generous contract that Keim gave them. It makes zero sense to move on from them this season. Don’t shoot the messenger. They will be gone next season when it makes sense.

“But MadCard they just re-signed a 30 year old CB in Hamilton.” Yes they did. It’s a one year deal on the cheap to help get the Cards through the 2023 season.

There will be a bunch more contracts like this that will be signed in the coming months as the Cardinals slowly plug holes this season on the cheap. Don’t expect
any big names. It makes no sense to spend big money on expensive FAs this year.

The Cards will draft about 10 players this season. There will UDFA brought in as well. These players are the beginning and the future of the new look Cardinals. How well Monti drafts and identifies talent will be a big part of how long the pain lasts.

Next season the Cards will add 8 more or so players via the 2024 draft. They will also be able to start targeting several key Free Agents. Hopefully by then Kyler will be back to 100%. This is the season where if all goes well the Cards are competitive enough to Compete for a wild card spot.

If in a couple of years only one or two players drafted by Monti are making an impact then the Cards will be in serious trouble.
So much this.