Free Agency 2018

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone discuss Tyreke Evans as a possible free agent target. He is a versatile guard who can shoot the three and distribute the ball and has put up his best numbers as a point guard during his career.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone discuss Tyreke Evans as a possible free agent target. He is a versatile guard who can shoot the three and distribute the ball and has put up his best numbers as a point guard during his career.

You are right. How did we miss him. I wouldn't might the Suns considering him but I do not know much about his background. He would give the Suns more size in the backcourt.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/evansty01.html

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yeah. He was fantastic last year. It's hard to detach from the negative perception he created early in his career, but he's talented, not quite 29 yet (though it feels like he's older), and has shown significant improvement on his weaknesses.

I guess my only drawback would be that he's going to get a big contract for a guy who has been up and down...but looking at his statistics in the past, I may have been a bit harsh in my judgment.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is more on Tyreke Evans.

Now, set to hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent with Bird Rights a non-issue due to the nature of his one-year deal, Evans’ impending free agency will be fascinating to behold.

Will Evans get a long-term, big-money deal from one of the rebuilding organizations with cap space to use (ie, the likes of the Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks or the Chicago Bulls)? Considering he’s already 28 years old, making his fit with those teams’ timelines awkward, probably not.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/04/17/four-potential-tyreke-evans-landing-spots-in-free-agency/

Maybe the Suns should kick the tires.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the biggest concerns with him are his injury history and his lack of winning.

Errntknght

Reaction score
So I'm wondering if he will get the full $6.3 million. Of the two, I'd rather have Beverley if he is healthy. Personally I'm hoping the Suns can find a younger starter.

It would be interesting what Igor has to say about our PGs - I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he is happy to go into the season with Okobo and Harrison. with BK for emergencies. They fit with our timeline and give us some size and defense at the position for the first time in years. Sure, they'll make some rookie mistakes but neither one is turn over prone so we'll be ahead of the game on that score.

We are much more undermanned at PF though we'll be great at small ball with JJ or MB at the position. We'll be able to switch everything, thanks to our sizeable PGs and Ayton's mobility. That won't be music to your ears, I know. I'd like to see us add a big PF unless one of Bender or Chiss suddenly decides to play basketball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's an isolation player, not a point guard. Only gets assists because he likes to waste most of the shot clock before giving the ball up, I've got absolutely zero interest in him. He's empty stats that hurts your chances to win, one of those guys who thinks he is WAY better than he is. I really don't like watching him play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting what Igor has to say about our PGs - I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he is happy to go into the season with Okobo and Harrison. with BK for emergencies. They fit with our timeline and give us some size and defense at the position for the first time in years. Sure, they'll make some rookie mistakes but neither one is turn over prone so we'll be ahead of the game on that score.

We are much more undermanned at PF though we'll be great at small ball with JJ or MB at the position. We'll be able to switch everything, thanks to our sizeable PGs and Ayton's mobility. That won't be music to your ears, I know. I'd like to see us add a big PF unless one of Bender or Chiss suddenly decides to play basketball.

It will be interesting to see what Igor has to say about the situation.

I like the idea of adding Derrick Favors to the Suns roster at PF with Ayton's ability to shoot the ball outside. The Suns have been lacking a strong force inside for a long time.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Ok big test. Let’s forget for a moment that it has no chance of happening, but what would your reaction be IF we signed Lebron only this offseason? No other Free Agents, renouncing everyone. What would the reaction be amongst suns fans and around the league?

Championship. And im dead serious.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm warming to this idea...I think his age is not necessarily a negative. The Suns need some veteran players who are actually key pieces of the rotation.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of good choices that everyone agrees with.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused with the timeline issue. Isn't the time now? We need to turn whatever assets we have into players that can help us win now.

Waiting around for GS to diminish seems like a weak plan. Let's move for some quality vets and dethrone them.

I feel like we have been in the gutter for so long we've grown accustomed to enjoying high draft picks and cap space more than winning.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused with the timeline issue. Isn't the time now? We need to turn whatever assets we have into players that can help us win now.

Waiting around for GS to diminish seems like a weak plan. Let's move for some quality vets and dethrone them.

I feel like we have been in the gutter for so long we've grown accustomed to enjoying high draft picks and cap space more than winning.

I think it's more about the Suns finding the right players. Spending assets for the sake of doing it doesn't work.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we revisit the Exum and VanVleet ideas. :)

I think we have too many projects already when it comes to Exum and I suspect VanVleet will be in high demand. He's undersized but he's pretty solid.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have too many projects already when it comes to Exum and I suspect VanVleet will be in high demand. He's undersized but he's pretty solid.

I was mostly joking because we have already discussed these players and seemingly moved on. Perhaps there are some players that can be had via trade. Some teams may have a surplus of point guards after the draft but I haven't checked them out yet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was mostly joking because we have already discussed these players and seemingly moved on. Perhaps there are some players that can be had via trade. Some teams may have a surplus of point guards after the draft but I haven't checked them out yet.

Probably a better bet than free agency

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm warming to this idea...I think his age is not necessarily a negative. The Suns need some veteran players who are actually key pieces of the rotation.

He's not a point guard and he doesn't defend... anywhere. I honestly don't see it as a solution to any of our problems, I think it merely creates a new one.

In a year he'd be the new "crap, well, we're stuck with this guy and his crap contract for 3 more years".

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's not a point guard and he doesn't defend... anywhere. I honestly don't see it as a solution to any of our problems, I think it merely creates a new one.

In a year he'd be the new "crap, well, we're stuck with this guy and his crap contract for 3 more years".

From the cursory research I've done, it sounds like he did his best work as a point guard. Also, his stats look pretty good to me. I will admit, however, that the only Grizzlies games I watched or listened to this year were when they were playing the Suns, and he only played in three of them.

He was having enough of a positive impact on their games that I was pretty bummed when they shut him down.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ok big test. Let’s forget for a moment that it has no chance of happening, but what would your reaction be IF we signed Lebron only this offseason? No other Free Agents, renouncing everyone. What would the reaction be amongst suns fans and around the league?

I would be pissed. GSW and even Houston (hell, possibly Boston too) are still way too good to lose to Lebron+ young team, and the youngsters would not develop as much or as quickly as they will without Lebron. No, no, no, just no. No LeBron.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the cursory research I've done, it sounds like he did his best work as a point guard. Also, his stats look pretty good to me. I will admit, however, that the only Grizzlies games I watched or listened to this year were when they were playing the Suns, and he only played in three of them.

He was having enough of a positive impact on their games that I was pretty bummed when they shut him down.

Perhaps it's just coincidence but he seemed to be playing his best in a contract year. Regardless, I just don't want him. He'd probably be a nice addition if we were a mature team but I don't know if he's the answer for a young team like ours.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

So, my memory might be off, so feel free to fact-check me, but as I remember, Evans had an outstanding year or maybe even two in Sacramento as a point guard. Kings ended up moving him to 2 and sometimes 3. He is a big point guard, and he plays PG, he plays well. Now, I'd need to look at him closely again before I start advocating for the Suns to sign him or trade for him, but I seem to remember him playing very well as a point guard.