Free Agency 2018

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Definitely thinking all this through. Nothing about Payton at all. I expect they will decline a QO. Something weird must be going on. There is something more to Payton, don't know what it is.

Or a carry over from last season. Did it take free agency for him to get a haircut that would not obstruct his vision?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vet pg's two way and available. Kyle Lowry. Maybe Goran Dragic.

Lowry would be an interesting calming influence on this young team I think. He is only a two-year player, just enough to get Okobo up to speed.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Lowry would be an interesting calming influence on this young team I think. He is only a two-year player, just enough to get Okobo up to speed.

Lowry is a perfect fit for this team. Doesn’t really doing anything at an elite level but he’s really good across the board. Complete PG.

We’d have to match salary b/c they’re way over the cap. One of Dudley/Chandler and possibly Warren/pick. Toronto has a lot of young wings though.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Lowry would be a great option, but I'm not sure how available he really is. His name came up in rumors recently, but it was more like a "we're willing to part with anyone on our roster for the right deal" than a "we're looking to cut payroll and retool" situation. I think they'd probably want more than we'd be willing to give.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lowry would be a great option, but I'm not sure how available he really is. His name came up in rumors recently, but it was more like a "we're willing to part with anyone on our roster for the right deal" than a "we're looking to cut payroll and retool" situation. I think they'd probably want more than we'd be willing to give.
Then we would be over paying for him. No thanks.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Looking back at the numbers Lowry was very good the last two postseasons. It was 2016 when he imploded.

Last season he averaged nearly 17/9/4 with a 66TS% in ten playoff games. Against the Cavs he lead Toronto in scoring with a 57/46/86 clip. 76TS%. Of course they were swept.

He outayed Kyrie two years ago in the semis.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course Lowry disappears in the playoffs
Not even going to try to argue with that. I just don't know if it matters at this stage. Lowry would balance the roster nicely.

Knight, Warren, Williams, Ulis for Lowry works. Probably would have to throw in a pick. But honestly Lowry's contract is prohibitive given his age.

Saves Toronto $11 million immediately. If they took Chandler instead of Knight, they would save an additional $13 million the following year. I am just throwing out ideas.

Not sure of what Lowry's market value is.

It's odd how some deals work on RealGM but do not on ESPN. Anyone know which is more accurate? It seems that ESPN does not take into account the Suns space under the cap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course Lowry disappears in the playoffs

yeah, but I think he's just a bridge guy to help this team get to the playoffs in a year or two and then when he's on his way out, hopefully Elie is ready to step in.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah, but I think he's just a bridge guy to help this team get to the playoffs in a year or two and then when he's on his way out, hopefully Elie is ready to step in.
OK. How much better is Lowry than Knight as a bridge guy? Knight has talent (he has to show some team concept though) and he can start, but we can give Okobo a lot of back up minutes and build his role from there. When you think of paying tens of millions more over two years and giving up assets just for a bridge pg, I am not sure it is worth it.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyle Lowry has been an all-star four years in a row and was the second best player on the East's #1 seed last year. Brandon Knight is Brandon Knight.
I get that. I am thinking age and as a short term bridge player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyle Lowry would be a huge piece of pie. I doubt this is happening. The Raptors would have to take some salary back... say Knight.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get that. I am thinking age and as a short term bridge player.

Yeah. I just think there is a giant chasm of difference between the two. I'm encouraged by the offseason stories about a change of perspective and have hope that Knight surprises, but I think we've collectively all gone too far the other way into almost expecting him to be a quality starter.

He is a career 41% volume shooter with suspect defense and a bad assist-to-turnover ratio. He's been on one winning team his entire career, and that team decided to trade him midway through that season.

Since then, he's been benched and had major knee surgery. I'm hoping he becomes a quality backup; a middle-of-the-road starter would be a big surprise and a remarkable story, not an expectation. I'd still trade him for nothing but cap relief in a heartbeat.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Remember, we still have our own picks coming up. Who knows, by the time Okobo is ready, we might have someone like Darius Garland or Quentin Grimes on the roster.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Borrow just now wrote a piece on free agency:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...int-guard-stretch-four-free-agency/728303002/

“We think and hope we’ll add some veterans that will take us from 21 wins to whatever next year,” McDonough said. “… Playing with some veterans will put these guys in position to be successful as rookies and that’s something we value. We were aggressive (in the draft) and we’re going to continue to be aggressive as soon as free agency starts.”

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Free agent stretch 4's

1. Aaron Gordon (not really, shooting not good enough)
2. Mbah a Moute
3. Ilyasova (likely possibility for McD IMO)
4. Tolliver. Good shooter but that is about all.

There might be some SF's that can play stretch 4 (LeBron, Durant etc).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Free agent stretch 4's

1. Aaron Gordon (not really, shooting not good enough)
2. Mbah a Moute
3. Ilyasova (likely possibility for McD IMO)
4. Tolliver. Good shooter but that is about all.

There might be some SF's that can play stretch 4 (LeBron, Durant etc).
We won't be able to afford Gordon. My choice is probably either Mbah a Moute or Ilyasova, assuming we're not doing any trading, that is.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We won't be able to afford Gordon. My choice is probably either Mbah a Moute or Ilyasova, assuming we're not doing any trading, that is.
That is what looks most likely to me. Just keep the deals reasonable or short.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You could easily move Dudley if you attach Milwaukee pick... But even just stretching him gains you 6 million and close to the max you need to offer gordon.

But I assume Orlando is matching

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How many teams have more money to spend than the Suns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk