Free Agency 2018

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many teams have more money to spend than the Suns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Forbes, 9. But that's based on every team renouncing cap holds, which won't be the case with all these teams:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...-the-most-2018-salary-cap-space/#6e4cf3f153e7

Team: Salary Cap Space

Lakers: $61.9 million

Bulls: $41.5 million

76ers: $30.5 million

Hawks: $29.2 million

Kings: $24.6 million

Mavericks: $23.9 million

Rockets: $22 million

Nets: $16.7 million

Magic: $15.1 million

Suns: $13.2 million

Cap space based on teams maximizing their room by renouncing all cap holds. Source: Spotrac

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Utah has Rubio and Stockton Jr. at pg.

Sign and trade Exum for Chriss. That could work for both teams. Better to do that than offer a salary so high that Utah won't match.

yes, that's the ticket. i like the risk to reward ratio
it may be the best opportunity for a functional pg with potential right now

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anthony opted into his 28 mil contract next year. Even if George leaves they're going to be paying a luxury tax of like 60 mil next season, if he stays it will be far higher.

This is the same organization that traded Harden over a 4 mil difference in salary negotiations.

Sam Presti is the most overrated GM in the league.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Anthony opted into his 28 mil contract next year. Even if George leaves they're going to be paying a luxury tax of like 60 mil next season, if he stays it will be far higher.

This is the same organization that traded Harden over a 4 mil difference in salary negotiations.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Why would LeBron and PG3 go to LA? They still could not compete with Houston or GS.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

And his trade of Oladipo looks really bad right now too since Sabonis is also looking he is going to work out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a bit surprising but Milos Teodosic has picked up his option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. How much should LeBron, CP3, and PG each make in this free agency? Anyone know?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Booker
Bridges
Jackson
LeBron James
Ayton

Make it happen lets go
As much as that isn't happening, I find it kind of interesting how easily he would seem to fit right into our starting lineup. We are without both a starting PG and PF and he would fill both of those holes by himself.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok big test. Let’s forget for a moment that it has no chance of happening, but what would your reaction be IF we signed Lebron only this offseason? No other Free Agents, renouncing everyone. What would the reaction be amongst suns fans and around the league?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok big test. Let’s forget for a moment that it has no chance of happening, but what would your reaction be IF we signed Lebron only this offseason? No other Free Agents, renouncing everyone. What would the reaction be amongst suns fans and around the league?

Anyone who wouldn't be thrilled is lying to themselves. LeBron turns any team into an instant contender, we already have a better supporting cast than he did in Cleveland and we'd get to watch some one the most fun Suns basketball of all time.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Why would LeBron and PG3 go to LA? They still could not compete with Houston or GS.

They have some nice players on the roster, but what type of lineup would you run with Ball, George, Ingram, James Kuzma, Hart, and Deng.

Rights to IT, Lopez, Randle, and all of their other free agents would have to be renounced to make room for LeBron and George so they would be extremely shallow.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It would be interesting for sure, and I think we could pencil in the second round with relative confidence. I don’t want it to happen, though, because I’m excited to see the Suns take some of the spotlight without the LeBron show. Also, I worry about GM LeBron clashing with Kokoskov, or forcing some short-sighted personnel moves after losing to GS or HOU in said second round.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, theoretically, could we sign a max free agent if we sent back a player in s&t? Say we want to sign a $30 million free agent, could we send Chandler and Warren and a first round pick and then only be taking on $9 million in additional salary? It seems that a rebuilding team might take the young player and pick rather than lose their player for nothing.

Not suggesting any particular player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only did playing PG really throw off Booker’s game but Kokoskov said it’s not happening. I’m glad we can finally put that idea to bed.

I didn't like the in season experiment with Booker on the ball and I don't want to see it regularly but it wasn't all Devin's shortcomings that caused it to fail. He didn't even have a Booker on the court with him so the defense could key on him even more since he was both the ball handler and the only real threat.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Perhaps a bit surprising but Milos Teodosic has picked up his option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Heard that his contract was only guaranteed for about 2 mil. My understanding is he doesn't really want to be there and the Clips don't want him back but he wants to collect that money on the way out.

I think he's an interesting option but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Europe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard that his contract was only guaranteed for about 2 mil. My understanding is he doesn't really want to be there and the Clips don't want him back but he wants to collect that money on the way out.

I think he's an interesting option but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Europe.

So I'm wondering if he will get the full $6.3 million. Of the two, I'd rather have Beverley if he is healthy. Personally I'm hoping the Suns can find a younger starter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@SunsTzu

I found the information you were talking about. Apparently the Clippers have until July 15th to decide if they want to fully guarantee the contract.

Teodosic’s salary will become fully guaranteed for next season if he is on the Clippers’ roster past July 15.

I guess the Suns could sign him with no trade necessary if the Clippers release him.