Footballguys.com interview with Kent Somers

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Haven't listened to it yet, but I uploaded the mp3 for anyone interested. Here's their description:

In This Episode: Cecil Lammey and Marc Faletti interview Kent Somers, Cardinals beat writer from the Arizona Republic. Topics Include: who wins the QB battle between Leinart and Warner, is Tim Hightower the RB of the future for the Cardinals, who wins the #3 WR job, plus more!

Download here

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on: lienart, beer bongs, usc lifestyle, warner skills. is it competition?

somers: there is competition, dont think whiz has quick hook. Gives matt a month to succeed, they want matt to play. Think he is good. photos and party misleading, false impression on his effort football wise. Coaches like warner but have problem with the turnovers. critical turnovers early in games that bury us. still had 27 tds with a robocop arm, lienart is still the future and they will give him every chance to be so. earn his lumps. whiz and hailey smart enough to know it wont be smooth.

Q and drew making noise, wont comment on camp, what do you think?

somers: cause of concern, kenw it would be when fitz signed. tt Q before, offered money, wasnt enough, wasnt 40mill. Q rightly so views himself as an equivalant except more valuable as a leader. Larry a loner. Q heart and sole of AZ, he knows, coaches know. They want to sign him but doubtful before camp. also doubtful that he will miss any camp. 3 yrs left on deal, they helped him before, no issue, same agent. Q realizes beating he will take if he holds out and he is the most competitive football lover around, he couldnt miss it. wont risk team or distract team, needs to win.

5th round of draft, hightower: saw him in el paso, practices, shows power, leg drive, lower body strength but no stand out, what will his role be? edges replacement?

Somers: we will see. he was in the 5th for a reason, slow. wanted speed back, didnt get the chance. like him, versatile, catches, learning blocks, good runner. Not the guy most likely, ideally they wanted someone to compete with james today but it didnt happen. edge this year, too early to judge hightower.

How long till edge declines? skipped adrian, not a priority, what do cards want from edge?

Somers: 2 yrs left contract. hasnt lost anything, same back he was last 3-4 years. great vision and agility, 2 yd platy turns into six. cant turn 6 yr run to 20-40 yards. only 4 20+ last year, no speed no big plays, gets to linebackers and goes down. Tjhat is what we want to fix, failing of the draft. 30 in august, amazing shape, no fat, like emmitt, no big hits. durable. he is what he is, nice back who gets u 4ypc every sunday. they still want a willie parker.

final questions is about backup WR, bryant is gone to 9ers we will miss him. he stepped in and did well, is breaston now #3? great return, not a polished reciever,. drafted douceet.

Somers: breaston impressive offseason, better catches and routes more strength and muscle not so skinny like before. never done it in a game yet, gotta see more from him. doucet is like Q, poor mans Q, low speed good routes, football important, good jr year, doucet was go to guy in college. we wanted speed. watch jamaica recotr, from dallas practise squad, quick, hands, speed but hasnt done it. staff is intrigued. Breaston is in the lead but wqill be one of the biggest battles.

another ? is this the playoff year, if not, how long will they give whiz?

better this year, hard hard schedule. 8-8 on weak schedule last year, shoulda won more but not smart or diciplined enough. better now on D, especiaally OLB, rolle to safety will be awesome. Im a little crazy, usually pessimist but i think they win 10 games. Will they? i dunno but they can, at least 9, cusp of playoffs. could be turnaround year, stay healthy, Oline, wr, rb thin.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no BIM'ing allowed, I was trying to keep up with the radio and dont care about the spellings

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kent Somers thinks we could win 10 games? The earth just moved.

Thanks, Nurnay and Bigred. I'll listen to it tonight.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Kent Somers thinks we could win 10 games? The earth just moved.

Thanks, Nurnay and Bigred. I'll listen to it tonight.

Kent called it right last year -- saying 8-8. That caught my attention as I consider Kent a pretty level headed evaluator of the team

His 9 or 10 win prediction has my free basing the kool aid right now

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to Kent's interview myself, I want to say bigredrage did a nice job of writing it up.

Kent said the Cards had wanted to bring in a RB right now to compete with and hopefully supplant Edge as a starter this year.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Listening to Kent's interview myself, I want to say bigredrage did a nice job of writing it up.

Kent said the Cards had wanted to bring in a RB right now to compete with and hopefully supplant Edge as a starter this year.
BigRedRage knows what time it is!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard