Fire Robert Sarver

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just copied the letter and dropped it in the mail, addressed to Jerry's attention at his company, JDM Partners.
Well written BC. I only wish you used a different font type.

After Gilbert posted a rant -- in the cutesy Comic Sans typeface -- about James' departure on NBA.com, bloggers, newspaper writers and Twitter pundits lashed back with a collective message that essentially said this:

Unless you're a fourth-grader, or being ironic, or the author of a comic book, or on vacation from the 1990s, never use that typeface.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/07/09/comic.sans.cavs.james/index.html

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree Bryan has a lot of baggage right now.

I wonder if the Suns would be willing to consider David Griffin.

I don't feel like going off on my anti-Griffin rant again, but, honest question... why David Griffin? What makes you think he'd be successful? In Cleveland his track record was... abysmal.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
Hey it's worth a shot BC. Unfortunately it would probably take a few years of sustained tanking before anyone steps in, or some sort of personal scandal as mentioned previously. The sad and frustrating thing is that I believe Sarver is genuinely trying to build a winner, but he is just so horribly incompetent that the more he gets involved the worse things have gotten, and he seems to lack the self-awareness to recognize this.

I sometimes leave a comment in the "Contact Us" section of Suns.com addressed to Sarver begging him to sell the team, listing his blunders, mentioning how no top-tier manager/coach wants to work for him etc. I doubt it gets past the admin person, but it feels great to get it off my chest to someone in the Suns organization.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't feel like going off on my anti-Griffin rant again, but, honest question... why David Griffin? What makes you think he'd be successful? In Cleveland his track record was... abysmal.

I asked the question because the Suns need to find someone qualified as a general manager. They have been though their share of inexperienced GMs such as Robert Sarver, Lance Blanks, Lon Babby and Steve Kerr. McDonough had more experience than most.

The Suns cannot afford to hire another GM that cannot get it right.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really don't have much of an opinion about the guy. But IMO he deserves very little of either the credit or the blame for Cleveland. And not being to blame for Cleveland doesn't make for a strong enough resume to draw my interest in him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Griffin is a lot like Ty Lue, they both have a title on their resume that they really don't deserve credit for. They fell into it by being at the right place at the right time. There is a reason no one has hired Griffin since he left Cleveland. His resume sets his salary far above his actual worth.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well written BC. I only wish you used a different font type.
I adopted Comic Sans MS for my emails quite some time ago and, eventually, for just about everything I write (except here, of course).

I've read that it is considered to be a frivolous font (you can tell by its name) but I like it over the straight line fonts. At my age, I guess I've earned the right to be an eccentric old fart. :)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
David Griffin is a lot like Ty Lue, they both have a title on their resume that they really don't deserve credit for. They fell into it by being at the right place at the right time. There is a reason no one has hired Griffin since he left Cleveland. His resume sets his salary far above his actual worth.

Still a major upgrade over James Jones or Ryan McDonough.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still a major upgrade over James Jones or Ryan McDonough.

Probably. Possibly. Maybe. I don't know.

It really feels like I should have a definite opinion on this. One guy has experience on the other side of the country but was mostly steered into his decisions by a hands on owner and a very grabby player. The other has no experience. Hmmm. Yeah, I'm sticking with I don't know although I might upgrade to I haven't a freaking clue.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Fire the whole (managment/owners) group. They've had their shot/fun. Time to shut up and walk away. Failures.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Actually, I wrote a new backup Arizona state song to reflect modern Arizona, trademarked it and sent it to Alice Cooper. As well as Linda Ronstadt and the Arizona Secretary of State.

'Never got a response. From any of them. It was entitled, "The State of Arizona".
You must be registered for see images attach

4th Verse: and I supported the Suns until Robert Sarver ruined the franchise

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Problem is, maybe we need to crowd source billions to take over the Suns. Until then, those who have the gold make the rules.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Sarver’s Wikipedia page appears to have been edited.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Only way to get rid of him is if what remains of the season ticket holders have a mass revolt.

Ive actually thought about that. Boycotting going to games would be the best way. Would take a serious marketing effort to get the word out. Problem is players would probably leave and even the team could leave...

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Ive actually thought about that. Boycotting going to games would be the best way. Would take a serious marketing effort to get the word out. Problem is players would probably leave and even the team could leave...
NBA pull out of this market? If it happened in Seattle....I suppose....I'd be ironic to have hockey but no BB in this town. Don't think investors would let it happen though.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I RECEIVED A HAND-WRITTEN REPLY . . .

. . . from my letter to Jerry Colangelo about our dissatisfaction with Robert Sarver.

"I am in receipt of your letter. I appreciate your passion for the Suns. I certainly understand your angst. Let's continue to hope for the best.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year."

Well, there you have it! He understands our angst and let's continue to hope for the best. No hope for our Christmas stockings this year. :rolleyes:

So I'll pass along to each of my ASFN buddies Jerry's wishes for a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I RECEIVED A HAND-WRITTEN REPLY . . .

. . . from my letter to Jerry Colangelo about our dissatisfaction with Robert Sarver.

"I am in receipt of your letter. I appreciate your passion for the Suns. I certainly understand your angst. Let's continue to hope for the best.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year."

Well, there you have it! He understands our angst and let's continue to hope for the best. No hope for our Christmas stockings this year. :rolleyes:

So I'll pass along to each of my ASFN buddies Jerry's wishes for a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

This is awesome Barry. Congratulations!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to Sarver, this is what I found when I looked up Robert Sarver at Wikipedia:

Phoenix Suns
A lifelong sports fan, Sarver's quest to purchase an NBA team began with a conversation with University of Arizona basketball coach Lute Olson. Olson referred Sarver to Steve Kerr, a former player at Arizona and a 15-year NBA veteran, to assist him in buying an NBA franchise. In 2004, he purchased the Suns for a record $401 million.[4]

In October 2016, Sarver was ranked as the worst owner in the NBA by ESPN.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sarver

It's close enough.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
In regard to Sarver, this is what I found when I looked up Robert Sarver at Wikipedia:

Phoenix Suns
A lifelong sports fan, Sarver's quest to purchase an NBA team began with a conversation with University of Arizona basketball coach Lute Olson. Olson referred Sarver to Steve Kerr, a former player at Arizona and a 15-year NBA veteran, to assist him in buying an NBA franchise. In 2004, he purchased the Suns for a record $401 million.[4]

In October 2016, Sarver was ranked as the worst owner in the NBA by ESPN.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sarver

It's close enough.
Chuckle chuckle.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Silver needs to step in and push Sarved to sell the team. This is beyond pathetic.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave