Fire Herb Sendek

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fire Sendek. ASU Bball is broken. Time to start again. Again.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movement has all the passion of a typical ASU basketball game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Sendek could always teach that defense and get average talent to be competitive because of it. This year, they often had no clue on how to help and rotate on that defense and didn't improve the entire season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Sendek could always teach that defense and get average talent to be competitive because of it. This year, they often had no clue on how to help and rotate on that defense and didn't improve the entire season.

I was a huge John Chaney fan at Temple and year after year they got better as the season went on because it takes that long to teach the matchup zone to a group of kids. one of the reasons Chaney always used a short bench, beyond recruiting disadvantages for Temple, was it's easier to be good at a matchup if you play fewer players, the more they play together the better they are.

With young players and a roster where ASU was searching all year for who were the best players, I think it became a lot harder to teach that defense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sidney Lowe "resigned" at NC State today, maybe Herb can go back.

Ironically it's believed NC State's first choice is Sean Miller but I don't think they really expect to get him.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

Ironically it's believed NC State's first choice is Sean Miller but I don't think they really expect to get him.

NC State fans have been buzzing about hiring Miller for weeks now. Most have delusions of grandeur thinking that NC State is some sort of elite job. They haven't done anything in almost 30 years.

Sendek left Raleigh to take over the worst program in the Pac-10 and then the best they could do was hire Lowe, who had no college head coaching experience.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I know those fans really really really believe how awesome their job is but continuing to read this crap really annoys me.

What is Coach K not available NCSU? :eyesrollingoutofmyhead:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know those fans really really really believe how awesome their job is but continuing to read this crap really annoys me.

What is Coach K not available NCSU? :eyesrollingoutofmyhead:

Actually this was the article announce Lowe resigned, not just NCSU fans that said miller was their top candidate. Note that means it's the guy THEY want, not that Miller is considering it.

I wouldn't be shocked if Arch Miller considered it, unlike Sean he played at NC State too.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fresh off twitter:

← @sports620ktar's

@Greg_Byrne

Sean Miller & I have had good talks. He has zero interest in any job openings. We will have no further comment. Let's go beat Memphis!

13 minutes ago

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Love would be dumb to fire Sendek. He has one down year out of four, with one tourney appearance and snubbed IMO in another.

The question is; if you fire Sendek, who replaces him? Capel? Knight? Not sure anyone of substance would want to come to ASU, which is not a powerhouse b-ball program. (no offense)

Reminds me of the Ken Whisenhunt debate for the Cardinals. Ken leads them to three successful seasons with a Superbowl appearance and a 4-2 overall record in the playoffs. Team has an abysmal season and fans are quick to jettison him. Makes no sense.

If losing becomes pathological once again for ASU, then you consider dumping him. I will say a couple of things. The thing you should be more worried about is him taking another coaching gig. In addition to which, because of the renaissance of UofA hoops, recruits will more than likely lean towards Tucson than Tempe. Just a simple fact.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love would be dumb to fire Sendek. He has one down year out of four, with one tourney appearance and snubbed IMO in another.

The question is; if you fire Sendek, who replaces him? Capel? Knight? Not sure anyone of substance would want to come to ASU, which is not a powerhouse b-ball program. (no offense)

Reminds me of the Ken Whisenhunt debate for the Cardinals. Ken leads them to three successful seasons with a Superbowl appearance and a 4-2 overall record in the playoffs. Team has an abysmal season and fans are quick to jettison him. Makes no sense.

If losing becomes pathological once again for ASU, then you consider dumping him. I will say a couple of things. The thing you should be more worried about is him taking another coaching gig. In addition to which, because of the renaissance of UofA hoops, recruits will more than likely lean towards Tucson than Tempe. Just a simple fact.

It is a simple fact, and one that is already happening.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't think this will happen until at least 2013 but something should be said for the fact that Herb isn't doing much if any better than Frieder or Evans and he has had many more advantages than his predecessors. Namely in facilities and dealing with an unstable UA program instead of vintage Lute.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this will happen until at least 2013 but something should be said for the fact that Herb isn't doing much if any better than Frieder or Evans and he has had many more advantages than his predecessors. Namely in facilities and dealing with an unstable UA program instead of vintage Lute.
Yep. I am thinking he will be kept around for far too long because he "well, at least he isn't worse than the previous two."

Ugh.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, I haven't cared much for ASU basketball since the Ned Wulk era. Even playing in the small gym before moving to what is now called the Wells Fargo Arena, ASU basketball was fast paced and exciting. I'd like to see ASU relevant again, but more than that, I would like see ASU play uptempo basketball. I hope PG recruit Jahii Carson brings this back to the Sun Devils. I hope Sendek can adapt.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
New rumor: Sendek to Purdue.

Huh? Is Painter going to leave? I heard he was contacted by Mizzou, but it seems like a guy from Muncie who played at Purdue would be at his dream job currently.

Also Brandon Dunson is transferring, which makes the news of JC PG's visiting ASU recently make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Painter and his staff are looking at doubling their salary at Mizzou. And he's really on borrowed time there at Purdue since Indiana and Illinois will get it figured out at some point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Painter and his staff are looking at doubling their salary at Mizzou. And he's really on borrowed time there at Purdue since Indiana and Illinois will get it figured out at some point.

I suspect he just wants a raise and is using MO to get one but who knows.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose