Fire Herb Sendek

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^Indeed you were right, he's staying at Purdue:

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/033011aab.html

But now perhaps Sendek to Mizzou rumors will start. :p

Claim is he told Purdue either show a commitment to basketball or I go to Missouri. He got a new deal last year but they wouldn't pony up for assistants, so now he got a new 8 year deal and apparently a promise to commit to basketball.

I don't see Sendek and Missouri, but you never know. It would fit the MO go to NC State competing with Duke and UNC, go to ASU competing with UA, go to Missouri competing with Kansas . :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way Sendek fits in at Missouri, no more than he fits at ASU. I do know this: No one at ASU knows where Sendek was Friday through the weekend. He was unaccounted for and he was definitely out of town.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
No way Sendek fits in at Missouri, no more than he fits at ASU. I do know this: No one at ASU knows where Sendek was Friday through the weekend. He was unaccounted for and he was definitely out of town.
Fire up the Flight Tracker!

In all seriousness, Herb's a decent/good coach but probably best at some small academic school with marginal expectations and without a major basketball rival. No matter how much ASU is a football school he will be judged based on what he accomplishes vs UA despite us having a clear advantage in almost every way. Same with how he was at State. Missouri is the a very similar gig in that way, so is Purdue once Crean straightens it out or they hire someone who can after next year.

Oklahoma would not work for a multitude of reasons. Providence you just get your teeth kicked in by the big boys. Utah actually makes sense but I really hate moving within a conference. The expectations are marginal and he could really recruit his type of players rather than continually striking out on the SoCal kids due to his dreadful style of play.

Herb's at that awful point like Mike Stoops where he's not bad enough to fire (especially in today's economic climate) but not good enough to get hired elsewhere or take you to any sort of promised land.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Herbs best skill seems to be the ability to take over programs in a mess and bring stability and get them going in the right direction. He'll probably never be the guy that gets a team going to the Elite 8 every other year or anything, but he's a great fit for any program thats been down in the dumps for a while and just wants to make the Tourney.

It wasn't until his 5th year at NC State that he began his string of Tourney appearances, hopefully something similar will start at ASU now. His first 5 years at ASU were better than at NC State so hopefully the next few will have a slightly higher ceiling as well.

E: I wonder if things don't work out at ASU if Northwestern wouldn't be the perfect fit for Herb. Academic school, low pressure (they've never been to the Tourney), still in a big conference, fertile recruiting ground, etc. If Sendek ever got them to the tourney even once they'd build monuments to him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herbs best skill seems to be the ability to take over programs in a mess and bring stability and get them going in the right direction. He'll probably never be the guy that gets a team going to the Elite 8 every other year or anything, but he's a great fit for any program thats been down in the dumps for a while and just wants to make the Tourney.

It wasn't until his 5th year at NC State that he began his string of Tourney appearances, hopefully something similar will start at ASU now. His first 5 years at ASU were better than at NC State so hopefully the next few will have a slightly higher ceiling as well.

E: I wonder if things don't work out at ASU if Northwestern wouldn't be the perfect fit for Herb. Academic school, low pressure (they've never been to the Tourney), still in a big conference, fertile recruiting ground, etc. If Sendek ever got them to the tourney even once they'd build monuments to him.
BOO! I live 15 minutes from NW. Want to part of Sendek. :)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Not to poke fun at NC State's coaching search, but maybe Herb's going back to State!

In all seriousness, I really want to make more fun of the coaching search in Raleigh but us UA people were right there two years ago. God bless John Calipari and a couple boosters and screw Jim Livengood.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^By all means, make fun of NC State. Thats the most delusional fan base I've ever seen. I had no opinion of NC State before Sendek came to ASU, now I cheer against them anytime I see them on TV in any sport, their fans are just gross.

At least UA fans (the reasonable ones, there are crazies in every fan base) after Lute left seemed to think "Well we're a top program, but only b/c of Lute. Things could potentially regress, we're not bullet proof, etc." I think UA fans realize had they hired Floyd or not landed Miller they could've slid easily into mediocrity. NC State fans often act like its their birth right to be as good as Duke or UNC (they LOVE bringing up total winning percentages, Nat'l titles, ACC titles, etc. most of which they racked up before my Dad was alive).

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Thinking about Boylan or Floyd coaching UA this year still gives me nightmares.

UA fans know we are lucky to have a great bunch of boosters and coaches around the country who respect Lute and our program. Without either, we would be nothing right now.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
There's conflicting reports as to whether certain power people would've let Boylen happen, my guess is they would've stepped in and just lined up Pastner or someone else with UA or West Coast connections. Floyd was basically a done deal though before he flew back to LA and said no. It was literally the worst coaching search ever conducted by Livengood during those few months. Luckily the real players and Cal stepped in, promised Miller more dough and that JL would be toast within a year.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
^By all means, make fun of NC State. Thats the most delusional fan base I've ever seen. I had no opinion of NC State before Sendek came to ASU, now I cheer against them anytime I see them on TV in any sport, their fans are just gross. I could reference some UA fans who thought we had a chance at Izzo and some ASU fans who thought Dixon was coming to Tempe.

At least UA fans (the reasonable ones, there are crazies in every fan base) after Lute left seemed to think "Well we're a top program, but only b/c of Lute. Things could potentially regress, we're not bullet proof, etc." I think UA fans realize had they hired Floyd or not landed Miller they could've slid easily into mediocrity. NC State fans often act like its their birth right to be as good as Duke or UNC (they LOVE bringing up total winning percentages, Nat'l titles, ACC titles, etc. most of which they racked up before my Dad was alive).
Let's be honest, every fanbase's crazies delude themselves into thinking their hoops or football job is something special and in reality only a few are actually right.

Other than praying Shaka Smart says yes, I just don't know what State is thinking. They keep going after unrealistic targets (Miller, Barnes, Donovan) who are all at better jobs than State who hasn't been relevant in almost 30 years. There's a lot of good mid-major coaches out there which fit the mold better: Donnie Jones from UCF and Randy Bennett from SMC are two solidexamples. Throw them some extra coin and use that $3.5 million you have budgeted to load up on top-notch recruiters to fill out the staff.

The ACC is not a horrible situation with Maryland and Wake Forest down, you could recruit to NC State pretty well like Lowe has if you have the right coach to get them playing up to their talents.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaka Smart? Good grief. I hope NCSU gets him. Perfect fit. Those aren't even his recruits. If you like VCU, the guy you want is in his first year at Alabama -- Anthony Grant.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Grant's 2nd year at 'Bama FYI but your point still remains. The other side of the coin is that they naysayers said the same about Grant/Capel at VCU as well as the whole Shaka making the Final Four thing.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Shaka Smart? Good grief. I hope NCSU gets him. Perfect fit. Those aren't even his recruits. If you like VCU, the guy you want is in his first year at Alabama -- Anthony Grant.

Smart does run a fun up tempo system with lots of pressing and as much as NCSU fans complained about Herbs slow style I bet that appeals to them a lot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of ASU coaches don't look now but UCLA assistant Scott Duncan just announced he's leaving to take a job at Wyoming with his longtime friend there(worked for him 3 different times before). And the early rumor is UCLA might target ASU assistant Lamont Smith.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Since this has morphed into a college coaching general thread, honest opinions needed.

Better job: UNLV or NC State?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since this has morphed into a college coaching general thread, honest opinions needed.

I think UNLV is a sleeping giant. They've got no pro sports interference there and the school actually has a history to point to. They can abide by the NCAA minimum requirements, especially with conference realignment sort of making them a HUGE mid-major. If I thought I could lure a staff that could recruit Cali, I'd take it in a heart beat and plan to say 30 years.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I think UNLV is a sleeping giant. They've got no pro sports interference there and the school actually has a history to point to. They can abide by the NCAA minimum requirements, especially with conference realignment sort of making them a HUGE mid-major. If I thought I could lure a staff that could recruit Cali, I'd take it in a heartbeat and plan to stay 30 years.

If that's true, they've been sleeping for the better part of 20 years.

Now that Livengood is their AD, I wouldn't count on them waking up any time soon.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's true, they've been sleeping for the better part of 20 years.

Now that Livengood is their AD, I wouldn't count on them waking up any time soon.

That happens when you try so hard to appease the NCAA you kind of go out of your way to not be so competitive. Plenty of time has passed for them to get aggressive again.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Both have pretty obnoxiously delusional fan bases but I give UNLV the edge due to 1. being the only game in town, 2. being in a vastly easier conferences, 3. having community college esque entry requirements.

However you'd also have to live in LV (my least favorite City), so I'd never take that job in a bizarro world in which I was a basketball coach. But I know thats a personal preference thing and not one that most share.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
So Lon Kruger is the new Oklahoma coach. That's an underwhelming hire. OU is setting the bar pretty low.

Kruger has had some success, but he's also been to the Sweet 16 or beyond only 3 times in 22 years as a college head coach. I know I DID NOT want UA to hire him two years ago when it was rumored he was a candidate.

In a couple years he will probably have OU back in the tourney, but they will lose in the first or second round every time.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Both better than average jobs. Both with some history. UNLV has advantage of being only game in town, the top dog in Vegas.

NC State is in the ACC, but always in UNC and DUke's shadow

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Alright, I can no longer not make fun of NC State. This has even surpassed the incompetence if Jim Livengood in March/April 2009.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, I can no longer not make fun of NC State. This has even surpassed the incompetence if Jim Livengood in March/April 2009.

So the talk Shaka Smart signed an extension with VCU is true?

Other schools must hate NC State, they're just forcing everyone to give their coach a raise.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I read their AD who was formerly at Maryland tried to arrange a coup to get rid of Gary Williams several times. The basketball coaching fraternity hates her. People are simply telling her no. Miller and Shaka were getting raises anyways for obvious reasons.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Archie Miller went to Dayton and not NCSU, can we start a slush fund to hire Archie at the end of Sendek's tenure here? I figure we'll find Sendek a job at a military institute (Navy!) and then we'll need abotu $6 mil up front to get Miller.

Then we'll have brothers battling each other in the desert, the way it was meant to be. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard