Favorite Horror Game of All Time

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
While I was playing F.E.A.R. 2 I realized that it never made me afraid to turn off the lights but did lull me to sleep with Alma's predictable booty calls (and yes, she assaults you by trying to get after your %^&*). However, the game also gave me time to think about what games truly did the horror genre justice. I instantly thought of Dead Space, but that was more of an action shooter with a copy of the script from the movie Solaris (or Solyaris depending on the year and nation). In addition, after the first few monsters popped off the ground to attack me, I just preemptively shot everything I saw even if it looked dead or not (shouting 'get some get some' until the fiftieth time; at which point it was more like a 'woooo').

Then I thought of a game that I refused to turn off the lights while playing. A game where you could spend 30 minutes walking around and not see a soul, then near the end of the level something will catch your eye and pounce. So recently, I purchased Silent Hill 2 for the xbox and am not disappointed. I played this game when it first came out and the hospital level is enough to make the toughest person cry home to mama. The only way to know when something is near you is the static that emanates from a walkie-talkie, and even then it is tough to spot something as your flashlight is the size of a pencil. This game builds up anticipation and delivers completely. The only poor thing about it is it takes a while to get used to the camera angles, but once you understand the purpose is to keep you concentrated on a specific area it makes sense.

So, what is the most terrifying game you have played?

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I usually don't play these games, but the one that stands out is Resident Evil 2. That game was great. I may need to get back into this genre.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, it would probably be the resident evil games. Those actually were a bit scary for me.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would say besides RE2 , I really liked the first Silent Hill. The second was ok. Doom 3 had some parts that really freaked me out because I was always by myself in the dark when I was playing that one.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
First three Resident Evil games. First one (well, the remake of the first one) was the scariest. Perfect setting and atmosphere for a survival horror game, you really felt overwhelmed every moment of the game, there wasn't much ammo, you only fought when you couldn't run away, and when you think you're in the clear, zombies you killed turn into crimson heads.

Oh, and the element of surprise in that game is just incredible. First Crimson head encounter was just insane, and the zombies and dogs jumping though the window in that hallway twice was definitely the most surprising moment in any game. I still remember dropping my GC controller and screaming, "oh *#^% @&#& *%^#!!!!" first time it happened.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 were great also, especially because you had Tyrant and Nemesis chasing you around, but Resident Evil Remake was simply the best survival horror game ever.

Other than Resident Evil, I'd say Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is the scariest game. Definitely not as graphic, but it is really unique. The whole Sanity Meter thing was just brilliant. If it ran low, some weird things would start happening and it would really mess with your head.

Fatal frame series and Clock Tower were pretty good games too, but much like Eternal Darkness, they were also more of a psychological horror. You're probably not gonna drop a controller, jump out of your seat and scream, but they will mess with your head.

Silent Hill 2, as you mentioned, is another great example of survival horror. Pyramid head might be the only thing scarier than Nemesis and Tyrant of Resident Evil.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Oh, and the element of surprise in that game is just incredible. First Crimson head encounter was just insane, and the zombies and dogs jumping though the window in that hallway twice was definitely the most surprising moment in any game. I still remember dropping my GC controller and screaming, "oh *#^% @&#& *%^#!!!!" first time it happened.

In the first Resident Evil (on PS1, never got this far in the GC version) when you find the Colt Python, the first Hunter spawns and jumps you.

That's my "scariest" horror game moment.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RE series and even Doom 3. The best moment in any of the RE games was the first time you experience the hell hounds (dogs) jumping through the windows when you went down the hallway. Honestly, that was my very first holy @#$%, made me jump moment on any video game. I remember many of my friends talking about the same moment for the same reason.

Also, playing in the dark in Doom 3 freaked me out a tad. Espeically, when the energy ran out on your flashlight. It pissed me off.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The game that made me jump more then any I have played is the Original Alien Vs. Predator game on the PC. That game was TENSE! Everytime one of those face sucker things attacked me, it scared the bajesus out of me. :D

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lots of fantastic titles here, but one that didn't get much play was Alone in the Dark. Creepy, with a mystery and a story.

Heard a remake (or sequel) didn't get much love, and the PC version from 1995(ish) probably looks like backside now, but it had all the qualities of a great horror game.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Lots of fantastic titles here, but one that didn't get much play was Alone in the Dark. Creepy, with a mystery and a story.

Heard a remake (or sequel) didn't get much love, and the PC version from 1995(ish) probably looks like backside now, but it had all the qualities of a great horror game.

Alone in the Dark was one of the first true 3-D games. I remember it was all polyaginal, and I thought it was going to stink. But after I actually played it I was astonished at how realistically the characters moved.

It was rather creepy, cool story...great game!

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
ROTT was a pretty good game. I still remember the sick sound the blades made when they cut into you. :barf:

pointNumberOne

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for the RE series, RE1 = best overall, RE2 = my best moment, mirror in the interrogation room

Silent Hill series is right up there though. Less shock, but creepier.

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
re5 wasn't scary, more of an action game. i recently beat silent hill homecoming and i loved that game

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
While I was playing F.E.A.R. 2 I realized that it never made me afraid to turn off the lights but did lull me to sleep with Alma's predictable booty calls (and yes, she assaults you by trying to get after your %^&*). However, the game also gave me time to think about what games truly did the horror genre justice. I instantly thought of Dead Space, but that was more of an action shooter with a copy of the script from the movie Solaris (or Solyaris depending on the year and nation). In addition, after the first few monsters popped off the ground to attack me, I just preemptively shot everything I saw even if it looked dead or not (shouting 'get some get some' until the fiftieth time; at which point it was more like a 'woooo').

Then I thought of a game that I refused to turn off the lights while playing. A game where you could spend 30 minutes walking around and not see a soul, then near the end of the level something will catch your eye and pounce. So recently, I purchased Silent Hill 2 for the xbox and am not disappointed. I played this game when it first came out and the hospital level is enough to make the toughest person cry home to mama. The only way to know when something is near you is the static that emanates from a walkie-talkie, and even then it is tough to spot something as your flashlight is the size of a pencil. This game builds up anticipation and delivers completely. The only poor thing about it is it takes a while to get used to the camera angles, but once you understand the purpose is to keep you concentrated on a specific area it makes sense.

So, what is the most terrifying game you have played?

Just got done playing Dead Space. I have to say that was one of the most Kick AZZ games I have ever played. I highly recomend this game.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I had Night Trap on Sega CD.... that was cool I guess. It was the game that spawned the ESRB ratings

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had Night Trap on Sega CD.... that was cool I guess. It was the game that spawned the ESRB ratings

Oh Ryan, I have to disagree. Full Motion Video is what Sega CD lived on, and why it died quickly. What a terrible format!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh Ryan, I have to disagree. Full Motion Video is what Sega CD lived on, and why it died quickly. What a terrible format!

I guess, some of the games were kind of cool. LIke.... well I guess I can't remember. It sucked, just like Sega Genesis 32x

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess, some of the games were kind of cool. LIke.... well I guess I can't remember. It sucked, just like Sega Genesis 32x

I think 32x had the best console version of Doom, although none matched the PC's.

I think those two add-ons were the beginning of the end for Sega as a complete company.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think 32x had the best console version of Doom, although none matched the PC's.

I think those two add-ons were the beginning of the end for Sega as a complete company.

I bought the add-on so I could play the Star Wars Arcade game (which was kinda cool on the arcade). It was an okay game on the console but like the 4th level into was virtually impossible to beat, like I didn't beat it even after 150 tries. I think they acknowledged they were about to fall behind the 32x "revolution" and put out a failed attempt to compete

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard