Fantasy Adivice?

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
That is completely false. If you don't have a good one, TEs aren't as big of impact. A good TE, though, will really help your team.

That's why I like playing against people that don't care as much about the auxilliary positions. If you get a solid to top-tier K, DT and TE, it can help make up for a few shortfalls elsewhere. Now, if the rest of your roster just flat-out stinks, you're screwed. Still, it can turn an average roster into a good or even a great one.

Does that mean I should draft a TE ahead of a QB, RB and WR in my draft? To me there are only a very few top notch TE's, the rest are all pretty much the same.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Houdini
Does that mean I should draft a TE ahead of a QB, RB and WR in my draft? To me there are only a very few top notch TE's, the rest are all pretty much the same.

I'd certainly take a RB and a WR ahead of a TE. Depending on the league, I'd certainly take a TE ahead of a QB.

Take my league, for instance. QBs only get 1 pt/20 yds passing and only 4 pts/TD pass. INTs are -1 pt. QBs are very devalued and they last forever. With few exceptions, one is interchangeable with another. I'm in the mid-4th round in my draft, and only McNabb, Culpepper, Warner and Manning are off th board. The first QB wasn't taken until the 1st pick of the 3rd round. I am likely taking a TE ahead of a QB.

In other leagues, taking a QB may be a priority. I know I like to get a starting TE no later than around the 7th or 8th round. After that, you'll get average to poor TEs. Trust me, it definitely helps to have a top TE.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
I'd certainly take a RB and a WR ahead of a TE. Depending on the league, I'd certainly take a TE ahead of a QB.

Take my league, for instance. QBs only get 1 pt/20 yds passing and only 4 pts/TD pass. INTs are -1 pt. QBs are very devalued and they last forever. With few exceptions, one is interchangeable with another. I'm in the mid-4th round in my draft, and only McNabb, Culpepper, Warner and Manning are off th board. The first QB wasn't taken until the 1st pick of the 3rd round. I am likely taking a TE ahead of a QB.

In other leagues, taking a QB may be a priority. I know I like to get a starting TE no later than around the 7th or 8th round. After that, you'll get average to poor TEs. Trust me, it definitely helps to have a top TE.

I agree having a great TE can greatly help your roster, but I don’t see it as a high priority to draft one when there are only 3 or 4 great ones, and the rest are kind of lumped together with similar stats. I don’t always agree with the supposed fantasy guru on KTAR, (I think it’s Russ, I forget) but he said the same thing the other week. He told a caller not to worry about drafting a TE unless there is a run on them when drafting. He said it’s better to build depth at the other positions that make more points in case of injury instead of worrying about a TE that doesn’t make as many points. I guess everyone has their own strategy, and a lot depends on the point values and rules for the league you play in.

Stout

Reaction score
Well, outside of Heap, Gonzales and Shockey, I'd wait as well. Those are the true impact TEs I was talking about. Otherwise, unless there's a run, you can go until the 7th or 8th, or later, depending on who's there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
okay, could use a bit of help also. i have the third pick. rbs are a HUGE premium in our league. most of 'em are gone by the end of round two. i know LT and Ricky will be gone with the first two selections. i gotta make this one count. priest, faulk, portis, or alexander? we're a ten team league (in our 13th year) with all savvy owners. it's close to a basic scoring system (tds, 3pts for 100 yards and a bonus point for each 25 over that or 3 pts for 300 passing and bonus for each 25 over). gotta start 2 rbs and wrs and a te. this is big money peeps. $1,000 pay-in, but the pickups are cheap ($5 for waiver transactions and/or trades). but we've also got a kicker. you come in dead last you gotta pay a booby - $250 penalty. second to last you pay the booby 2 - $150. the booby and booby 2 go to the teams that finish the regular season with the two best records (awards regular season excellence). help me with the 3rd pick please.

also, i have swapped my position in the second and third with our single idiot owner. so i've moved up in the second from 18th to 14th and down in the third (big deal). i want to pick up a second back. thinkin' of one of the following: edge, william green, dillon, or stephen davis. thoughts?

your help is MUCH appreciated.

Stout

Reaction score
Punt.

I had the 3rd pick in the 1st round. I traded down in the 1st to trade up in 2 later rounds. Gained 9 picks from the 4th to the 3rd and 9 picks from the 10th to the 11th.

Frankly, I'd take Priest. There's risk, but it looks as if he's the man again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Punt.

I had the 3rd pick in the 1st round. I traded down in the 1st to trade up in 2 later rounds. Gained 9 picks from the 4th to the 3rd and 9 picks from the 10th to the 11th.

Frankly, I'd take Priest. There's risk, but it looks as if he's the man again.

that's what i feel like doing. i want to stay in the top 8 spots (i think there are 8 top rbs, and i KNOW that all 8 first selections will be rbs).

so you basically traded down, swapping firsts and then sent your 4th and 11th for a 3rd and 11th? that's intriguiging...

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
that's what i feel like doing. i want to stay in the top 8 spots (i think there are 8 top rbs, and i KNOW that all 8 first selections will be rbs).

so you basically traded down, swapping firsts and then sent your 4th and 11th for a 3rd and 11th? that's intriguiging...

I traded from the 3rd down to the 10th spot in the first round. In return, I moved up like this:

I traded my 4th round 8th pick for a 3rd round 10th pick (9 spots up) and I traded my 10th round 8th pick for a 9th round 10th pick (9 spots up).

I traded down 7 spots in the first round, but then gained 18 spots in the heart of the draft, where you should be taking starters, for the most part.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hmm, i just can't trade down that far in the first. i need to be in the top 8 spots to ensure at least travis henry. the first 8 spots will be rbs in my league, no doubt about it. and i've tried to go the sterling wr/qb combo instead of the stud rbs route before and it's failed miserably (in our league). but i like the moves you made otherwise.

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
hmm, i just can't trade down that far in the first. i need to be in the top 8 spots to ensure at least travis henry. the first 8 spots will be rbs in my league, no doubt about it. and i've tried to go the sterling wr/qb combo instead of the stud rbs route before and it's failed miserably (in our league). but i like the moves you made otherwise.

Yeah, in my league, 1pt is awarded for a reception, and it makes WR premium, though RBs are still nailed heavily early, for the most part. They just don't learn. I won the league last year drafting WR first, and they STILL didn't learn. Hehe.

That's what I was hoping to do, get Marvin Harrison. Too bad he went ONE PICK BEFORE ME!!! Grrr!!!

Anyway, best of luck getting that stud RB in the draft, dude! :thumbup:

I'll toss one back for luck! :beer:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Had my big money league draft last night: Tough draft.

QB Hasselbeck, Bulger (Plummer was the last starting QB taken LOL)
RB Tomlinson, William Green, Najeh Davenport
WR Peerless Price, Ashley Lelie, Todd Pinkston
TE Chad Lewis, Freddie Jones
K Elam, Duncan (I know he isn't on a roster but not enough K to go around...maybe he gets a call)
DEF New England, Arizona

A 20 team league really dilutes the talent at alot of positions.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison