Fallout 3

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I need some advice from Fallout 3 vets. I seem to get worked by just about everything so far. Any advice on leveling up or missions I should take on first? I swear, everytime I have an encounter with non-humans I get my ass kicked or have to use my entire arsenal to kill it. Also, many of the side missions I don't have skills high enough (example repair or something) to complete.

Maybe it's just to early in the game but I feel like a chicken running around with my head cut off right now. lol. It's fun but man...

It depends a lot on what type of character you are. If you're going to fight mostly with Small Guns (Hand Guns, Hunting Rifle, Assault Rifle, Shotgun, etc) I would put your early points into Small Guns and Repair. Don't over look the importance of Repair, the condition of your guns and your armor factor into not only how much damage you can do, but how much you can take as well. When you fight the raiders, you can take all their armors after you kill them and use them to repair one another into a suit that's actually worth wearing. The first quest I usually do is for Moira in Craterside Supply, it's part of the Wasteland Survival Quest. She sends you to the grocery mart to look for supplies and medicine. You can find some nice stuff, but the raiders can be kinda tough. I travel everywhere in sneak mode to try and get the drop on things before they see you. It's slower, but if you shoot them before they detect you, you get sneak damage and can often one shot bad guys that would otherwise be a huge fight.

If the Super Duper Mart proves too hard, then start on the main story line. Moriarty will send you to find a woman named Silver, that quest is easy and then will send you on your way to find your dad. That trip isn't too rough either, just be sure you sneak to get the drop on your foes. Your best abilities to increase your sneak are Stealth and put some points into Agility.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
^good advice
-I also would add:
When attacking, go into V.A.T.S, aim for the head,exit V.A.T.S,(holding the aim, then take a shot. Exiting V.A.T.S. will keep you aiming wherever you targeted so you can get some quality shots in without using up all your AP.
Hope that makes sense.
-Small guns is def the way to go early. Get a combat shotgun(they don't need as much repair and they do more damage).
-My first turn in Fallout i avoided most of the open wasteland(raiders,Radscorpions,and other terrible monsters;)) and explored mostly thru the underground surrounding D.C. Using stealth and darkness you can get the jump on most of the inhabitants down there so you can scavenge items to sell.>(but if you hear soft,almost like muffled chirping sounds....a little like The Predator....turn around and get the hell outta there!). Getting caps early is crucial IMO.
Enjoy!
I'm just about to finish my game as The Very Evil Scourge of Humanity.
Looking forward to my 3rd go around too. Love this game.

Last edited:

outoftheashes

Registered
Reaction score
I concur, do the first thing for Moriarty then start on Moira's stuff. Super duper Mart should be doable if you make sure to stay low and quiet and keep the raiders separated. If you alarm them all, they will take you out with a quickness. You may see a kid running around near the outside of the super duper mart parking lot. He gives you another little side quest that isnt too difficult and gets you some early weapons.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody download the new expansion (Lookout Point)? Man, those "outback jacks" are a pain. So, far I have completed the side quest "Velvet Curtain" which was kind of cool. I also have the "******" quest going but not finished. Now, I have moved on to the main quest for a bit. There is another side quest to get the lighthouse working again from what I can tell but I have not activated that quest yet. Will play around with the main quest for awhile I think.

PS. A couple of new rifle weapons with this expansion. I really like them only because they are fun. They are not overly powerful or anything but I like them.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I recently picked up all the DLC for it, and to celebrate, started a pure evil character named after my wife. She kills everything... EVERYTHING.
So far, no real drawbacks, and I...
blew up megaton to get the fancy place in tenpenny, robbed and murdered most of tenpenny, let the ghouls take over the tower, then killed the ghouls. I've got more stuff than I have space. So far, evil is sexy. Next? Rivet city goes down.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up all the DLC for it, and to celebrate, started a pure evil character named after my wife. She kills everything... EVERYTHING.
So far, no real drawbacks, and I...
blew up megaton to get the fancy place in tenpenny, robbed and murdered most of tenpenny, let the ghouls take over the tower, then killed the ghouls. I've got more stuff than I have space. So far, evil is sexy. Next? Rivet city goes down.

LMAO. I thought about doing that. Ten Penny though is not part of the most recent DLC. The new dlc content is in "deliverance" country. :D

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LMAO. I thought about doing that. Ten Penny though is not part of the most recent DLC. The new dlc content is in "deliverance" country. :D

It's not. I started a fresh campaign from scratch with an evil character to slowly work my way back into fallout lore. Once I finish the initial game with this new character I'll use the same character for DLC.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have one thing left to do for the new DLC. It's actually the next one that I am really excited about. Can't wait.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
After a 4 month layoff from Fallout 3 (I finally got burned out on it after 2 years) I decided to try the Broken Steel DLC yesterday..

It's awesome! :D

I loved it, got me back into the game. So far I have beaten Operation Anchorage a few times (loved it,) I started The Pitt (didn't like it,) and just played through Broken Steel which I really enjoyed. I think next up for me is Point Lookout then onto the new one Mothership Zeta which just looks way cool.

Anyone play the Mothership one yet? It looks like a blast.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a 4 month layoff from Fallout 3 (I finally got burned out on it after 2 years) I decided to try the Broken Steel DLC yesterday..

It's awesome! :D

I loved it, got me back into the game. So far I have beaten Operation Anchorage a few times (loved it,) I started The Pitt (didn't like it,) and just played through Broken Steel which I really enjoyed. I think next up for me is Point Lookout then onto the new one Mothership Zeta which just looks way cool.

Anyone play the Mothership one yet? It looks like a blast.

Have not DL yet. I played through all the missions on Point Look Out except for the moonshine part which I just was not motivated to complete at all. I still liked it though.

I am not sure how I feel about the Mothership. It feels like it would take you of the Fallout 3 world too much. We shall see.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of Fallout 3 in Phoenix, the game of the year edition? Apparently, all you have to do is download the 5 expansions onto your hard drive, and don't need the disc to play. I'll throw a few bucks your way for the hassle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard