Fallout 3

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Picked this game up a couple weeks back(PS3) & have been playing it ALOT. I was getting a little burned out on the FPS like RFOM,RFOM 2 & COD4 so i thought i'd give this RPG/FPS hybrid a try.
What i like: The depth of the RPG system is very cool. The most amazing thing is the sheer size of the "world" & the realistic nature of the environment around you in terms of how you can interact with it......& how it interacts with you. The depth of your character with the many perks & skills makes the exploration & interaction w/both the friendlies & the enemy very interesting. I like the minimal use of unnecessary music & the moment you first step out into the wasteland & discover just how big the world is you really get a sense of how vulnerable you are. The targeting system is kind of fun & useful once you get used to it & develop your skills later on. Tip: Get the "Bloody Mess" perk.
The AI is very impressive overall IMO.

What i didn't like: Not alot but i would've liked an option to hear my own dialogue when interacting w/others. The first person view is the way to go IMO, the 3rd person view is visually flawed & quite honestly looks terrible unless you're sneaking. The character models are a bit to "cut n paste" as well as some of the hundreds of locations but i've seen much worse.

I would recommend this game. Again, the depth is astounding & the "free world" feel is very well done. The P.I.P. Boy system(your device used to interact,use info,fight,store items/info etc...) was a little intimidating at first for me but after doing my homework i've learned to navigate it like a pro.
I really like this game. Sometime i feel that it may go on forever but thats a good thing:).

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I've just started playing and am currently on the mission seeking the museum.

I'm stuck at this area where there are 3 super mutants with guns. I'm equipped with a hunting rifle and a fat boy and a few frags.

But I can't get close enough for an accurate nuke or frag.

Addictive game. The world and interaction is great, but the graphics/animation whatever with your own character are terrible.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I've just started playing and am currently on the mission seeking the museum.

I'm stuck at this area where there are 3 super mutants with guns. I'm equipped with a hunting rifle and a fat boy and a few frags.

But I can't get close enough for an accurate nuke or frag.

Addictive game. The world and interaction is great, but the graphics/animation whatever with your own character are terrible.

When you come out of the tunnel just make a beeline for the museum. It is just up and to the right when you come out of the metro.

There are a lot of mutants there and unless you have power armor and a lot of ammo it is pretty tough.
First time I took out about 6 or 7 mutants hanging by a thread, then I died anyway. so the next time I just ran for the museum under fire. A couple will probably follow you in there but you won't keep attracting more.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Currently a level 11 & severely addicted(to the game & just about every drug in the game LOL).
I so wanted to become a Vampire.....but i changed my mind at the last minute.

Nick C

Amazing
Reaction score
Make sure you build the dart gun if you find the schematics. It cripples the legs and you're going to need it when you face the Deathclaws. It also prevents the mutants from rushing you with the nail board.

I usually sneak with the dart gun then switch to the laser or hunting rifle.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've chosen to ignore the dart gun & all laser weapons.
I live with the sniper rifle,explosives, & the combat shotgun.... but my favorite weapon to use is the railgun rifle:D.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I've chosen to ignore the dart gun & all laser weapons.
I live with the sniper rifle,explosives, & the combat shotgun.... but my favorite weapon to use is the railgun rifle:D.

Same here, I stick to weapons that are covered by the "Small Guns" skill. You start the game with a 10mm Pistol, so I usually put my first points into that, it's not till later in the game that you find a Big Gun or a Laser Weapon so Small Guns usually makes the most sense to me.

I'm on my 2nd playthrough and this game is still massively addicting. My favorite weapon is probably the simple assault rifle. It does good damage, and you find a lot of them so they're easy to keep repaired. They do kind of spend Ammo a little faster then I like, but I can usually find more. When in doubt though, don't be afraid to run around and get the super mutants attention. Get them to chase you and drop frag mines as you run. Now that's a good time. :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like games with RPG elements. Hmm.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The RPG elements are really what makes the game. I have been a big fan of shooters for years, but honestly I have been getting sick of them recently. Games like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect that blend the shooter game with RP are my new passion, and Fallout 3 pulls it off really well. The game is so much more then just "shooting bad guys." You have to decide what type of person your character will be, will you be a villian? a hero? something in between? The world is wide open, you can go find quests apart from the main story, or you can just follow the main story. You can help people, or you can turn on them, there are tons of options in builiding your character in stats, skills, perks, etc.

If you're into RPG type games I would really recommend Fallout 3. They did a nice job blending the 2 elements together, the result is rather addicting.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Currently a Level 18 & when i'm working "I'd rather be sniping Super Mutants."
The sheer size of this game is still pretty amazing. Once you decide to stick with finishing a particular quest it feels like a game within a game.
I've spent countless hours just mapping out the D.C. area..... and the underground metro alone is massive. I'm starting to incorporate the ****** into my arsenal because you've got to fight fire w/fire;). Also the Missile gun because i'm getting tired of losing limbs while reloading my assault rifle:D.
I've decided that the next go around thru this game i'm going to be a wasteland ***hole & specialize in melee weapons. If dying old men are beggin me for purified water i'm gonna kick em to the curb.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I put around 150 hours into my first and only (so far at least) play-through. A goody-two-shoes who capped out on points well before the half-way point of the main quest. I did every side quest except for Oasis - simply because even after finding the coordinates on the ranger, I could figure out how to "get in".

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I put around 150 hours into my first and only (so far at least) play-through. A goody-two-shoes who capped out on points well before the half-way point of the main quest. I did every side quest except for Oasis - simply because even after finding the coordinates on the ranger, I could figure out how to "get in".
I'm also going with the "good guy" mentality for the most part(except for Ten Penny Tower where i let the "natives" run amuck on the upscale snobs:D).
The sound effects are very good in this game as well, There was definately some decent time spent sampling for this one.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I also recently maxed out on XPts(way too early IMO).
There is a buzz about a possible patch for the PC version to extend the levels. There's also some small "talk" about an upgrade for the PS3/Xbox360.
I admit...playing on without the "cha ching" is getting me down.:(

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just picked it up. Has an future-Oblivion feel, which shouldn't surprise, and that isn't a bad thing.

My one gripe is the limited interaction with other people. There's a lot for sure, but there's still not enough options to interact with the average citizen. On the upside, every time I complete a quest I actually feel like I've accomplished something.

Lots of fun, class A game for sure.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Currently addicted to the PC version. I know I'm late to the party, but this game is awesome.

Navigating through the underground metro station with the lights off at 1:00am is scary as hell. (Especially with headphones.)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Second DLC "The Pitt" was released Tuesday..

Then promptly pulled from XBox Live..

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14665

I grabbed it, but I haven't tried it yet. Pretty weak that they delayed it a month and it still didn't work. I was going to play it today, but since it's screwed up, I'll just wait till the fixed one comes out and re download it. :bang:

At least the purchase is tied to my account so I don't have to pay for it twice.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Second DLC "The Pitt" was released Tuesday..

Then promptly pulled from XBox Live..

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14665

I grabbed it, but I haven't tried it yet. Pretty weak that they delayed it a month and it still didn't work. I was going to play it today, but since it's screwed up, I'll just wait till the fixed one comes out and re download it. :bang:

At least the purchase is tied to my account so I don't have to pay for it twice.
No DLC for us PS3 folks. :mad:
Bethesda can ****my****.
Fantastic game though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started playing this game yesterday. Picked it up. So far, I have just been to Megatown. Talked to several people and picked up some missions. First one I chose to pursue is the message to that girls family. I kind of liked the Sherrif in Megatown. Sucks he bit it. Although, as a result, I did pick up his weapon and the weapon of the guy trying to blow the place up.

outoftheashes

Registered
Reaction score
I just started playing this game yesterday. Picked it up. So far, I have just been to Megatown. Talked to several people and picked up some missions. First one I chose to pursue is the message to that girls family. I kind of liked the Sherrif in Megatown. Sucks he bit it. Although, as a result, I did pick up his weapon and the weapon of the guy trying to blow the place up.

You can save him if you really want to. You just have to blast the other guy as soon as he draws his weapon. Then you can take his stuff instead. So many choices in that game. The quest you are taking is a little frustrating because it take some time finding everyone you need to find and the area is loaded with raiders, but its a good way to level up too.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I still have yet to play the new DLC "The Pitt." They took so long to release it that by the time I got it, I was sick of the game. Hopefully one day I'll get around to playing it.

As said above, there is a way to save Lucas Simms, there are 2 or 3 approaches to everything in that game. When all was said and done though, I always do the option where he dies because it gets me a free Assault Rifle. :D

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Oblivion. Since both games are made by Bethesda I was wondering if it was on the same level. Is it kind of like Oblivion in set in the near future.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Oblivion. Since both games are made by Bethesda I was wondering if it was on the same level. Is it kind of like Oblivion in set in the near future.

I too loved every second of Oblivion. I get the same "cool" factor that I did with Oblivion. Plus, I know a few Oblivion fans that like this game more. I just started so I am reserving my judgment.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
If you liked Oblivion, you will probably also like Fallout 3. It's very similar in a lot of ways, but obviously in a vastly different setting. Controls and interface are largely similar, the game runs on the same engine (heavily modified.) It's the same open world set up where you can walk anywhere you want and can fast travel to places you have already been. Also like Oblivion, the combat levels as you do, so there is no place you can't explore until a certain level and no need to farm for XP. You can take the good path, evil path, or somewhere in between just like Oblivion and your path affects your standings with certain guilds just like Oblivion.

I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoyed Oblivion. When it was all said and done, I think I actually liked Fallout 3 more then Oblivion, and I consider Oblivion a masterpiece.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some advice from Fallout 3 vets. I seem to get worked by just about everything so far. Any advice on leveling up or missions I should take on first? I swear, everytime I have an encounter with non-humans I get my ass kicked or have to use my entire arsenal to kill it. Also, many of the side missions I don't have skills high enough (example repair or something) to complete.

Maybe it's just to early in the game but I feel like a chicken running around with my head cut off right now. lol. It's fun but man...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard