External Hard Drive ?'s

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase an external hard drive (looking at 500 gigs) and I am wondering about the differences in the brands and what I should be looking for in comparing the different models.

Most of my items to save are going to be songs and pictures but I do have some other important spreadsheets and word docs that I will need to back up as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The WD (Western Digital) ones are great. Target or Best Buy usually have a good assortment of them. I did get one of mine at OfficeMax because of a deal they were having. Usually someone is running a great deal in the Sunday ads. Go where you want with any ad and most places will price match.

Target right now is blowing out their Hard Drive Cases for $3.74. Have one each for our Zunes and I have one for my external that I use for work. Nice slimline design and they come in blue, black, or maroon.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Do not look at Cavalry - I've had nothing but terrible luck with them.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I have a Simpletech I got on sale at Fry's for $79. 1TB. It is well encased (I dropped it once from 8 feet and it still works). If you're looking for portability, this isn't for you, but for me, it was a great bang for my buck.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have 3 sea gates and they are all great. My wife has a Western Digital and it is by far the oldest... but it is still going very strong.

I would love to find a 1TB or 1.5TB drive that cheap. I want to hook one up to my DirecTV DVR but am waiting for the day when I can put hook up a monster drive.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Just purchased an HP simplesave and it is pretty easy to use and sleek looking. It is going back though because the software is incapable of doing a system state backup. Pretty lame.

SunDevilDon

Registered
Reaction score
I have 5 External Hard Drives. 3 Seagate's (320, 320, 160), a portable Seagate (120) and a 1 TB Phantom.

I've had them all for 2-4 years and I recommend any of them. I bought them all off Newegg.

I've had problems with Internal Western Digital's on a couple of occasions.

I don't know what price range you were looking for, but here's a link to get you started on options and reviews. BTW, I paid around $400 for the 1TB 2 years ago :( It's now $89.99 after a $20.00 rebate (the Phantom regularly priced at $109.99 at link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=414&name=External-Hard-Drives

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz