I Tried £280 Worth Of Tropic Skincare & Here Are My Honest Thoughts

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tropic Skincare is the beauty brand on everyone's lips at the moment. Affordable, cruelty-free, sustainable and packed with responsibly sourced, natural ingredients, it's no wonder that searches for both the products and the brand's smart Skincare Routine Finder (which matches you to the perfect regime) are climbing. But is it worth the hype?From targeted serums containing buzzy ingredients such as exfoliating lactic acid to face masks chock-full of blemish-busting clay and moisturising ceramides, the product range sounds on par with much-loved brands such as The Ordinary, REN Natural Skincare and Pai. Although it may be a little more under the radar, it's gaining popularity fast.But what does a skincare-obsessed beauty editor think? Click through to read an honest review of some of the bestselling Tropic Skincare products and how to slot them into your routine.Refinery29's selection is purely editorial and independently chosen – we only feature items we love! As part of our business model we do work with affiliates; if you directly purchase something from a link on this article, we may earn a small amount of commission. Transparency is important to us at Refinery29, if you have any questions please reach out to us.This features lactic acid, which is an AHA (or alpha hydroxy acid). It gently exfoliates the surface of the skin, making it appear brighter, smoother and softer. Over time, it made my skin gleam. The only real downside is that the formula has a very fruity fragrance, which I could smell on my skin for a while after applying. It did fade throughout the day but if you're really sensitive to scents like I am, or they tend to irritate your skin, this might not be the right product for you. Instead, try The Ordinary's Lactic Acid 5% + HA, £5.50, which is a lot more subtle. Tropic Fruit Peel Resurfacing Serum, $, available at TropicThis is my new favourite sunscreen. It melts into skin fast and moisturises deeply without leaving behind an oily residue, a grey tone or causing breakouts. It's so substantial, I now skip my moisturiser and serum and just apply this after cleansing in the morning. Tropic Sun Day Facial UV Defence, $, available at TropicI thought the texture of this would be a lot softer but it's actually hard, much like a lip balm, and needs to be melted between fingertips. While it worked wonders to reduce my fine lines over time and soothe my eczema-prone under-eyes, it didn't quite absorb like my usual eye cream and felt sticky on my skin, which wasn't very comfortable when I tried to sleep. Instead, I'd recommend the Eye Work Rejuvenating Serum, £28.Tropic Eye Dream Age-Defying Overnight Butterbalm, $, available at TropicI love this body lotion. Not just because it smells like sherbet and is so uplifting but because it banished any scaly patches on my legs and smoothed away the rough skin texture on my arms, thanks to the exfoliating alpha hydroxy acids. I prefer not to use it with the exfoliating mitt as it absorbs faster when applied with hands and I'm very impatient!Tropic Perfect Skin Resurfacing Body Lotion, $, available at TropicWhat I really like about Tropic's serums and oils is that you get a lot of product for your money, and this is larger than any dropper bottle product I currently own. While it was a touch too heavy for my breakout-prone complexion, mature, dry skin will drink this up. It's rich in omega fatty acids so it nourishes parched patches, making skin soft and supple. Tropic Elixir Age-Defying Omega Oil, $, available at TropicThis green clay and charcoal mask is pretty strong. While it made my skin glow and mopped up every ounce of oil on my T-zone (thanks, salicylic acid), I couldn't move my face at all while it dried so I'd suggest leaving it on for five to 10 minutes rather than the recommended maximum of 20. After regular use, I must say, my skin looks and feels less congested.Tropic Clear Skin Blemish-Fighting Mask, $, available at TropicPowdered beauty products are booming at the moment as brands think about their environmental impact. On contact with just a few droplets of water, this transforms into a blue paste, then a white foam, which works brilliantly as a second cleanse after makeup removal. My skin felt squeaky clean but not uncomfortably so. Just be sure to secure the lid well so that the powder doesn't spill.Tropic Clear Skies Cleansing Powder, $, available at TropicThis minty powder becomes a deep cleansing foam when it hits water and my oily skin loves it. I'd use it in the evening, after skin is exposed to makeup, pollution and everyday grime. I think it'll last longer than my usual foaming cleansers, too. Again, it's important to seal the cap, otherwise the powder escapes easily. If you're travelling with it, I'd recommend securing some tape around the lid.Tropic Clear Slate Deep Cleansing Powder, $, available at TropicIn my opinion, toners are not a necessary skincare step. They rarely factor into my routine, apart from in the summer, when I need something to cool me down at my desk. In all honesty, I didn't notice much difference in my skin when I used this post-cleanse and pre-moisturiser but it was really refreshing and primed my face for makeup, so I might just be a convert. If your skin is very dry and tight, the addition of hydrating hyaluronic acid and moisturising squalane oil are beneficial.Tropic Vitamin Toner Pore-Refining Mist, $, available at TropicThis is a really lovely balm for very dry lips. It's so deeply moisturising but not sticky, and stays put for hours on end. Don't let the tint put you off, as it's subtle and pretty. I also tried the clear version and adored it just as much. Plus it smells and tastes heavenly. Tropic Lip Fudge Plumping Lip Conditioner in Pink Guava, $, available at TropicThis reminds me of Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish. It's creamy, smells amazing and melts away makeup. That said, my skin and eyes are quite sensitive to fragrance so it's great that there is an option to choose the unscented version before you check out. Tropic Smoothing Cleanser Complexion Purifier, $, available at TropicThis isn't as thick or heavy as the name suggests. It sinks in fast and makes skin super soft with hyaluronic acid and a handful of lightweight oils. The addition of kakadu plum (which is high in vitamin C) makes it the ultimate day moisturiser under SPF to fend off pollution. This time, my skin didn't react to the fragrance but there is an unscented option if your skin doesn't like scents. Tropic Skin Feast Nourishing Cream Concentrate, $, available at TropicLike what you see? How about some more R29 goodness, right here?Everyone’s Talking About ASOS’ New Skincare BrandDo These "Cult" Skin Products Live Up To The Hype?What We Know About Pharrell's New Skincare Line

Continue reading...