External Hard drive dying???

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have this WD external hard drive that I use to backup many things. It is connected via USB. It has started randomly disconnecting from my PC.

Here's how it happens. (note: it happens whether I am actively accessing data on the drive or not)

1. Working normally
2. Tone sounds on my computer like you would hear when you disconnect any USB device.
3. External hard drive has now disappeared from my PC and is no longer accessable.
4. Power to the external hard drive stays on, the light is on, but is disconnected.

Unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in or trying a different USB port does nothing, it's still disconnected. The only way to make it reconnect is to unplug the power source from the external drive, wait a moment then plug the power back in and it will reconnect to my PC for a while before doing the same thing.

So, I've had hard drives go bad on me and this one is not making any strange noises or being slow or any of the usual signs. Why would it randomly disconnect like that? Is the USB port (on the external drive) failing? Does that happen?

Any ideas fellow nerds? (thanks in advance)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you try hitting it? If that doesn't work try hitting the computer really hard around that particular USB port. :shrug:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Sounds like the interface board is losing power or a part is failing.

It shouldn't affect the integrity of the drive.

I would suggest taking it apart and putting the drive into another usb case.

It is cheaper and easier than getting a whole new new drive and transferring data.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you try hitting it? If that doesn't work try hitting the computer really hard around that particular USB port. :shrug:

Any results from this fixing option yet? :grabs:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
How old is the drive.

A hard drive should be replaced about 5 years, or you are pressing your luck.

Could be a bad USB cable, or USB connection.

If you can read anything of the drive then it is good.

My MP3 player's USB connection only works if I hold it at a certain angle, LOL. But it works.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have any other devices shut down or disconnected? If not, try the same drive with a different USB cord.

One other thing to check would be the power settings for the USB ports (in the Device Manager). The default setting is "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
How is the transfer speed when it is connected? If it works fine when it is connected, it's probably not the drive. Based on your description, I'm guessing a power problem. Might want to look for another hard drive enclosure.

I've had particularly good luck with this one:
http://store.antec.com/Product/accessory-veris_media/mx-1/0-761345-77150-4.aspx

You can get it at Fry's for under $50.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the helpful responses. Its really awesome to be able to ask your advice when this kind of stuff happens.

Shane, you should know that ofcourse is always my first step in problem solving! It didn't work

Sounds like the interface board is losing power or a part is failing.

It shouldn't affect the integrity of the drive.

I would suggest taking it apart and putting the drive into another usb case.

It is cheaper and easier than getting a whole new new drive and transferring data.

Yea I will probably end up trying that. Thanks!

How old is the drive.

A hard drive should be replaced about 5 years, or you are pressing your luck.

If you can read anything of the drive then it is good.

My MP3 player's USB connection only works if I hold it at a certain angle, LOL. But it works.

Have any other devices shut down or disconnected? If not, try the same drive with a different USB cord.

One other thing to check would be the power settings for the USB ports (in the Device Manager). The default setting is "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

LOL Leave it to you guys to think of the obvious and make me feel stupid! (I mean that with love.)

That should have been my first course of action to try another cable, sometimes I over think these things. Thanks I will try that.

The drive is only about 2 years old. It works perfectly fine when I plug it back in but only for a few minutes before the usb disconnects again.

How is the transfer speed when it is connected? If it works fine when it is connected, it's probably not the drive. Based on your description, I'm guessing a power problem. Might want to look for another hard drive enclosure.

I've had particularly good luck with this one:
http://store.antec.com/Product/accessory-veris_media/mx-1/0-761345-77150-4.aspx

You can get it at Fry's for under $50.

Yea it works perfectly normal while its connected, speed is fine it just suddenly disconnects after a few minutes and it just started doing this on Monday. It's really weird.

I'm going to try a new cable and if that doesn't work I'll just replace the casing. It's a 1TB drive so I dont want to just replace it if I can avoid it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok so I replaced the cable and tried a different USB port and it's still doing the same thing. Comes on, works fine for a while then it disconnects (power stays on)

I tried leaving it plugged into the USB port and restarting the computer but it simply will not reconnect until I actually un plug the power from the external drive and then plug it back in.

So I guess I have a casing problem and will replace it as you guys suggested. :( Thanks again for all the suggestions.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ok so I replaced the cable and tried a different USB port and it's still doing the same thing. Comes on, works fine for a while then it disconnects (power stays on)

I tried leaving it plugged into the USB port and restarting the computer but it simply will not reconnect until I actually un plug the power from the external drive and then plug it back in.

So I guess I have a casing problem and will replace it as you guys suggested. :( Thanks again for all the suggestions.

One last thing.

Did you try differen USB ports on the computer ? Sometimes they go bad after over use.

Like Jenna Jameson ....... ZING!

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One last thing.

Did you try differen USB ports on the computer ? Sometimes they go bad after over use.

Like Jenna Jameson ....... ZING!

Thanks Rugby, yea I already tried that.

Got the new casing, replacing it tomorrow.

Should be interesting...

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Would anyone be so kind as to recommend an external hard drive for backup purposes?

I am currently using a MacBook Air and want to back that up, but would also be interested in backing up my old HP laptop. Would it be a good idea to use the same hard drive for both or to get separate ones?

Thanks!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Would anyone be so kind as to recommend an external hard drive for backup purposes?

I am currently using a MacBook Air and want to back that up, but would also be interested in backing up my old HP laptop. Would it be a good idea to use the same hard drive for both or to get separate ones?

Thanks!

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/

I have a Western Digital My Book, automatic backup, external drive.

Works great.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Western Digital is a good choice.

Same for both should work fine depending on capacity requirements. It has to be FAT32 file system for both to access it or you will have to partition the drive into two partitions. Easy enough to do with the Mac disk utility.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

WD comes up first on Amazon and Costco carries them, too, so I'll start comparing prices. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort