Excited for Leftwich

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we are in a situation where people need to understand that "better" does not equal "good".
Agreed. Leftwich is dusting off plays from BA’s playbook, which he admitted. And while that was a wise move in his part, he doesn’t really have a resume for OC. He hasn’t spent enough years building a portfolio of plays and constructing his own offensive identity. I watch the Bears regularly (8 year old abandoned the Cardinals for the Bears - teaching an 8 year old not to be a front runner is tough) and Nagy has a very pronounced philosophy. We need an innovator who has enough experience to be a step ahead all the time. I like Byron, but he’s essentially regurgitating BA’s offense. I fear we will keep him in this role because he’s inexpensive and already in the role and an improvement over McCoy.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oakland allows 29.3 ppg. The Cards scored 21.

Josh Rosen is completing 54.8% of his passes and averaging 6.2 YPA.
Yep.

Our offensive line is putrid.

We only have two wrs on the roster.

Our tight ends can catch a cold.

It's amazing how bad his supporting cast is.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The Cardinals need to significantly upgrade their coaching staff all around. Being a 'leader of men' isn't sufficient. With the core talent on this team, the high draft choices and cap space next year, the Cardinals need experience, not someone who may eventually develop into a good O.C. and who will learn on the job.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you compare the results of McCoy's first 7 games as OC with Leftwich's two games as OC the stats don't lie:

McCoy:
  • Average of 12.8 first downs per game
  • Average of 2.5 third down conversions
  • Average of 24:50 time of possession

Leftwich:
  • Average of 20.5 first downs per game
  • Average of 6.5 third down conversions
  • Average of 29:48 time of possession

So I agree with this small sample size this hasn't been the same stalled offense as Chopper has claimed. If you just compare the two Niners games, Leftwich's offense had 7 minutes more of time of possession, 10 more first downs and 4 more 3rd down conversions.

No one is claiming that Leftwich is the end all be all of Offensive Coordinators. There is a good chance that Leftwich isn't the OC next season. However for a rookie OC thrust into a difficult situation he has performed fairly well so far with all things considered.
He m amazed at readily everyone goes to extremes instead of reading someone’s actual words. Chopper didn’t say Leftwich sucks. He said people seem to confuse improvement and good (or something to that extent). In other words he’s acknowledged that Leftwich has been an improvement but he’s saying that doesn’t make him good. I agree. The numbers don’t lie. Our offense has improved over McCoy’s. But our offense is still bad. And against some crummy defensive opposition at that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He uses DJ right and gets the ball to Larry and Kirk. He was handed a shish sandwich and terrible offensive line.
I would say he uses DJ better, but still not “right.” Lots of screens but those can become predictable. We need more swing routes. Get DJ mismatched on LBs downfield. That’s using DJ “right.”

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say he uses DJ better, but still not “right.” Lots of screens but those can become predictable. We need more swing routes. Get DJ mismatched on LBs downfield. That’s using DJ “right.”

hes had over 150 yards per game since leftwich took over, I'd say hes using him right. In time he could get even better and more creative but ultimately, DJ went from people acting like he lost it to performing as good as he ever did with the simple change of OC.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He m amazed at readily everyone goes to extremes instead of reading someone’s actual words. Chopper didn’t say Leftwich sucks. He said people seem to confuse improvement and good (or something to that extent). In other words he’s acknowledged that Leftwich has been an improvement but he’s saying that doesn’t make him good. I agree. The numbers don’t lie. Our offense has improved over McCoy’s. But our offense is still bad. And against some crummy defensive opposition at that.

No Chopper said:

I see the same stalled offense vs worse competition.

All I did was provide evidence that the Cardinals offense has performed better than it did while under Mike McCoy. No where did I say the offense was good.

I get it. You were fine with McCoy, but I think the Cardinals are better off with McCoy gone and a rookie OC running things for the time being.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
The thing that haunts Leftwich is the same thing that haunted McCoy. It's our abysmal OL. Leftwich makes a superior job compared to McCoy in terms of scheming around our OL. But you can only scheme so much. Without the OL being able to give Rosen protection you are limited to dink and dunk in the passing game. I'm sure Leftwich would like to use the whole field just like BA but ultimately it would end in a disaster with this OL. All our opponents have to do is take away the short stuff and force us to rely on our OL blocking longer than 2 seconds.

Maybe you can fix a bad OL, but there is no way anybody could fix our OL mess. No coach in the world. Eye test and stats prove it.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we are seeing what we have. A 3rd year QB coach thrust into the Offensive Coordinator job. He has made some adjustments to get DJ more involved but the Cardinals offense is still abysmal. Some of it is personnel, some of it is having to continue the previous guy's playbook, but a lot of it is just inexperience.

Leftwich might make an outstanding OC someday, it's just not today. I would NOT keep him as OC if they change coaches, let alone make him Head Coach as I've read in some posts.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I think we are seeing what we have. A 3rd year QB coach thrust into the Offensive Coordinator job. He has made some adjustments to get DJ more involved but the Cardinals offense is still abysmal. Some of it is personnel, some of it is having to continue the previous guy's playbook, but a lot of it is just inexperience.

Leftwich might make an outstanding OC someday, it's just not today. I would NOT keep him as OC if they change coaches, let alone make him Head Coach as I've read in some posts.
That's just a silly post. Every OC has to start at some point and around the league there are many young coaches doing a great job. Nothing Leftwich can do about our abysmal OL. He is basically calling plays to don't expose our OL, avoid negative 1st and 2nd down plays while getting the ball to our best playmakers to move the chains. All with a rookie QB, and our OL consisting of late round rookies, street FAs or washed up vets. Leftwich couldn't do it any better imo. Be more aggressive? Get ready for Rosen to be torn apart. Be more conservative? Mike McCoy all over again.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's just a silly post. Every OC has to start at some point and around the league there are many young coaches doing a great job. Nothing Leftwich can do about our abysmal OL. He is basically calling plays to don't expose our OL, avoid negative 1st and 2nd down plays while getting the ball to our best playmakers to move the chains. All with a rookie QB, and our OL consisting of late round rookies, street FAs or washed up vets. Leftwich couldn't do it any better imo. Be more aggressive? Get ready for Rosen to be torn apart. Be more conservative? Mike McCoy all over again.

Sorry for my silliness. Glad you know more than me :notworthy:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lot of excuses being made here that half the league could make. Our offense sucked, still sucks, and will continue to suck until we get a real OC.

Half the league has issues at OL. Or a lack of playmakers. Excuses for not being at least competent is for losers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2018/week-11-quick-reads

How predictable is Arizona's offense? The Cardinals had 17 runs on first down, but only four passes, and just one in the second half. Those four passes: one sack, one incompletion, and two completions for 22 yards, including a touchdown. Rosen also had an aborted snap on first down. Also, he did not throw a single pass to the middle of the field. Pretty easy to defend a quarterback when you know when and where he's going to throw.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no problem with the Cardinals 1st down runs setting up a much easier 2nd down. Here are the first down runs against the Raiders:

9 yards
5 yards
3 yards
8 yards (Edmonds)
3 yards
5 yards
7 yards
2 yards (Edmonds)
1 yard
6 yards
6 yards
2 yards
1 yard
10 yards
53 yards
0 yards (Edmonds)
-2 yards

I'd take second and 5 or 4 any day of the week. It sure beats second and 10. IMO With as bad as pass protection has been this year, the Cardinals should continue to run the ball early and often.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes. It certainly worked at the end of the game when we were trying to kill the clock.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It certainly worked at the end of the game when we were trying to kill the clock.

We all know that the end of the game was a disaster.

However it had nothing to do with the play calling and everything to do with stupid penalties which not only affected field position but also stopped the clock.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I have no problem with the Cardinals 1st down runs setting up a much easier 2nd down. Here are the first down runs against the Raiders:

9 yards
5 yards
3 yards
8 yards (Edmonds)
3 yards
5 yards
7 yards
2 yards (Edmonds)
1 yard
6 yards
6 yards
2 yards
1 yard
10 yards
53 yards
0 yards (Edmonds)
-2 yards

I'd take second and 5 or 4 any day of the week. It sure beats second and 10. IMO With as bad as pass protection has been this year, the Cardinals should continue to run the ball early and often.
You would think that if you have a struggling offensive line you would want to throw in traditional running situations to help your line out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson