Evaluating James Jones as acting GM

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wonder if this is in regards to Anthony Davis or Lonzo Ball
Oh. It was Lonzo Ball. He was just saying that LaVar would not be a factor. But he could not mention names because that would be tampering.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think JJ is not on the "untouchable list" but I really doubt he's viewed as "fodder". Maybe it's semantics, but I don't see JJ getting moved unless the Suns think they're getting something of high value in return, opposed some of the other guys you mentioned, TJ, Melton, Okobo, those are guys I can see being moved in all kinds of scenarios.

And I don't think Oubre is viewed as a priority. IMO, he only returns of we've settled other questions first, and if we lose him, it is most likely for nothing, sign and trade scenarios seem unlikely with so many teams under the cap and the Suns almost certainly not wanting to take on salary commitments in an Oubre trade.
I think this is correct. JJ has value, and he is gaining value every day. TJ has a lot more value right now too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is correct. JJ has value, and he is gaining value every day. TJ has a lot more value right now too.

It's an interesting thought.

If I were another team I would probably value Jackson more.

Maybe it's only hope, but I think he has turned the corner. I see him only getting better. Of course I probably though this at the end of last season as well.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's an interesting thought.

If I were another team I would probably value Jackson more.

Maybe it's only hope, but I think he has turned the corner. I see him only getting better. Of course I probably though this at the end of last season as well.
I meant TJ has a lot more than he used to have. Not that he has more than JJ. I did not communicate that very well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant TJ has a lot more than he used to have. Not that he has more than JJ. I did not communicate that very well.

I understand. It can be a coin flip on any given day.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I do like the recent tack of trying to find players that are energy guys. A franchise has to prioritize the traits it wants in its players. I think this is a minor development in the right direction that we are looking to find franchise fit players now, instead of just chasing everyone, LOL. There HAS to be some vision at the top. We used to be a fast break team. That was our thing. Not sure what we are now. A hustle team? A defensive team? Trying to fast break again? It's hard as a Suns fan to describe what this team is. (Some would say losers, LOL)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like the recent tack of trying to find players that are energy guys. A franchise has to prioritize the traits it wants in its players. I think this is a minor development in the right direction that we are looking to find franchise fit players now, instead of just chasing everyone, LOL. There HAS to be some vision at the top. We used to be a fast break team. That was our thing. Not sure what we are now. A hustle team? A defensive team? Trying to fast break again? It's hard as a Suns fan to describe what this team is. (Some would say losers, LOL)

I miss having a system. At least the team and fans knew what they were doing.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In recent interviews James Jones has made it clear that Booker and Ayton are the cornerstone starters. He wants to pursue up to 5 veterans between the ages of 25 and 30 via free-agency and trade.

He pretty much admitted they won't be players for the biggest names in free agency this summer.

We can speculate endlessly on trade targets, but free agency is more limited.

Let's look at the names and possibilities.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/08/nba-free-agency-2019-the-top-players/

Here are some possibilities from the list above.

Restricted:
D'Angelo Russell
Malcom Brogdon
Terry Rozier
Bobby Portis

Unrestricted:
Julius Randle
Nikola Mitotic
Thaddeous Young
Ricky Rubio

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In recent interviews James Jones has made it clear that Booker and Ayton are the cornerstone starters. He wants to pursue up to 5 veterans between the ages of 25 and 30 via free-agency and trade.

He pretty much admitted they won't be players for the biggest names in free agency this summer.

We can speculate endlessly on trade targets, but free agency is more limited.

Let's look at the names and possibilities.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/08/nba-free-agency-2019-the-top-players/

Here are some possibilities from the list above.

Restricted:
D'Angelo Russell
Malcom Brogdon
Terry Rozier
Bobby Portis

Unrestricted:
Julius Randle
Nikola Mitotic
Thaddeous Young
Ricky Rubio

I almost think Russell will be off the table because he would take up all of our cap space. I think a sign and trade can be worked out that would allow us some flexibility beyond Russell but I suppose even if we only are able to add him and bring back our own guys that it will be much better than last offseason when McD said we'd be "aggressive" and walked away with a vet who was mailing it in by game 3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TJ is still a guy who plays no defense, doesn't create for anyone else and is an injury waiting to happen. That three ball he added didn't add that much value, IMO. He's a garbage stats guy. Those guys don't have a lot of value despite pretty numbers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Then obvoiusly once your double team is passed out of, we NEVER find the open man who was left open. I think it's more of a team fail.

I remember making this point a couple of months ago. The Suns don't punish opposing defenses for overplaying. They just meekly try to survive. There's no downside to playing gambling defense against the Suns, so that makes it a guaranteed winning play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All teams have to do is double team Booker to disrupt the Suns offense.

However, this is not a new strategy. Booker normally shrugs this off but last night against the Clippers it seemed to effect him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Book flat out sucked last night

However, this is not a new strategy. Booker normally shrugs this off but last night against the Clippers it seemed to effect him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's been a step slow for awhile now and he's getting very little lift on his shots. I think it's incredibly stupid that he's playing, he's clearly not healthy or in shape enough. It's just like last year, he had no business coming back from injury when he did. He came back, played in one game and then won the 3 point contest. I guess he's hoping for the same but he should have stayed out of it and out of the games until he can at least out maneuver a pylon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been a step slow for awhile now and he's getting very little lift on his shots. I think it's incredibly stupid that he's playing, he's clearly not healthy or in shape enough. It's just like last year, he had no business coming back from injury when he did. He came back, played in one game and then won the 3 point contest. I guess he's hoping for the same but he should have stayed out of it and out of the games until he can at least out maneuver a pylon.

if you really believe this to be the case, shouldn't management or the coach needs to step in and shut him down until he's healthy? they're not angling for a playoff spot here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you really believe this to be the case, shouldn't management or the coach needs to step in and shut him down until he's healthy? they're not angling for a playoff spot here.

Yeah but they weren't last year either and it went the same way. Just like this year, last year he'd been struggling with injuries and missing games then he came back for a handful of games and went out again for 5 or 6 games before returning for the final pre-break game. I don't know if he's still injured but I do know he isn't jumping like he was and he's not moving as quickly either. So, either conditioning or injury, either way they absolutely should have kept him out of the game through the break IMO. It's understandable that he wants to play and he wants to defend his 3 point "crown" but someone else has to step up and do the right thing with him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if Booker has expressed more frustration by being benched with an injury than playing and losing. That's got to be one of the reasons they allow him to return like he does rather than sitting him until he's healthy. Especially right now with the All-Star break as sort of a date he could have returned by or after. Most teams take the precaution and sit players for a little longer this time of year to give them the most rest possible with the break coming up. We're not competing so there has to be a reason why we allow Booker to rush back from every injury. I'd be disappointed as a fan and viewer if they sat him for the rest of the season but at this point I'd rather he be sat and healthy for next year than continue to play and get dinged up when we're not trying to win anyways.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but they weren't last year either and it went the same way. Just like this year, last year he'd been struggling with injuries and missing games then he came back for a handful of games and went out again for 5 or 6 games before returning for the final pre-break game. I don't know if he's still injured but I do know he isn't jumping like he was and he's not moving as quickly either. So, either conditioning or injury, either way they absolutely should have kept him out of the game through the break IMO. It's understandable that he wants to play and he wants to defend his 3 point "crown" but someone else has to step up and do the right thing with him.

couldn't agree more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know Booker probably wanted to play before the 3 point contest but it was incredibly shortsighted if the Suns medical and training staff let him play if he is not ready. It would have been better to let him rest through the All-Star break than bring him back.

In the overall scheme of things the 3 point contest is not that important.

A red flag was that Booker couldn't defeat the double team because he has all season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If we get a top 2 pick, we draft Zion or Morant. He might even trade Morant if there is a quality vet pg he could get in exchange.

We will try to sign two quality vet players--not sure who.

We will let Bender go.

Okobo, Melton, JJ, and TJ are trade fodder. Oubre too if a S&T is available.

Yes, I said JJ.

I think future picks are up for trade too.

I keep JJ or Oubre. Prefer JJ with how he has played lately. His ceiling is higher.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If KP doesn't work out, it will set the Mavs back years.

True but if it does work out, they can perhaps be a real contender in a few years. And if it doesn't work out, Cuban is more managerially capable and financially willing to take the hit than someone like Sarver. If we'd made that trade and it bombed we'd probably trade a couple of first round picks and Kurt Thomas all over again in addition to selling our draft picks for a few years.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
BUMP!!!

Right now Jones is looking like a genius and I'm not just basing that on the Suns 2-1 record.

Baines, Saric, Kaminsky and Carter are infinitely better than any of the chaff the Suns had on their bench last year.

Monty Williams has given the team an identity.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only mistake he's made this offseason was not taking PJ Washington or Brandon Clarke instead of Johnson. But this team looks much different from last year due to better shooting and stability at PG. Rubio was great in first game and Carter looks like a solid back up, hopefully Jerome is ready soon. Sad thing is as much as Ayton's suspension sucks, Baynes and Kaminsky look like they will be able to match his production from what we've seen so far. Of course, this could be a team on a heater and prime for a fall back to Earth. Hopefully, this team surprises like the the 2013-14 team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson