Evaluating James Jones as acting GM

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the info on the Oubre acquisition. I'm new this season to the forum so I do appreciate the more knowledgeable posters setting me straight on Suns activities.

Likewise, welcome aboard. It's a tough season to join the Suns forum.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You left out that Jerry also coached the Suns in two different seasons early on.
Strictly as interim both times. I considered that as either a cost cutting measure or ego trip for Jerry. Not a sound basketball move.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
You might want to do some research on the early Suns. I think you'd enjoy catching up on the the history.

For example, Jerry was with the Suns from their start. He had begun in the Marketing Dept. of his hometown Chicago Bulls, then did some work assisting their GM.

Eventually he left Chicago to be named the first GM of the Suns. It was he who brought John MacLeod from college coach to the Suns. Eventually, Cotton had two separate tenures as Head Coach of the Suns.
BC867 Thanks for the reply, and I will look this info up as I'm Colangelo fan, I'm a clod for not remembering John Macleod, I called him McClane? Thanks for the correction. Anyway, Just want to contribute any info I come across regarding the Suns. And I want to be accurate too, so thank you guys!

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And Oubre was in no way, shape or form the original target of James Jones. It was a good recovery, but the only reason we aren't stuck with Dillon Brooks instead is that Memphis tried to pull a fast one on the Suns.
Getting Dillon Brooks the next two years would have been a good trade. How could Memphis pull a fast one on the Suns if Brooks sucks?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strictly as interim both times. I considered that as either a cost cutting measure or ego trip for Jerry. Not a sound basketball move.

I really wasn't old enough or informed enough at the time to understand why he took over as coach. You could be right but I don't know how you'd know whether it was a sound basketball move? It was just interim both times and for all we know perhaps it got him closer to the players and gave him a better understanding of what the next coach might need? But like I said, I really don't know the motivation.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The problem is that our go-to player in the fourth quarter (Booker) has failed miserably time and time again in the fourth quarter when counted on to play the de facto point guard role down the stretch of games.
I don't think he's failed. He has been AGRESSIVELY double teamed. What I find disturbing, is when I played basketball, I would always rune towards the guy being double teamed in order for them to be able to pass out of the double team. No one on the Suns does this. Then obvoiusly once your double team is passed out of, we NEVER find the open man who was left open. I think it's more of a team fail.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Just found it interesting the Mavs swung for the fences getting Kristaps for expiring contracts.

We gave chandler and rivers away for nothing. Those contracts could of been used as assets but our front office didn’t see the bigger picture.

But what deal are you talking about? There has to be other assets attached OTHER than expiring contracts.

In my opinion, the Suns are more than one good player away from being a good team. Some of the improvement is going to take more good players while the rest will come from development of young players on the roster. The problem is that each young player has shown some potential and shouldn't be trade throw ins.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The trade that netted Oubre' worked out well for us but I'm not sure you want to use that as the basis to support JJ is a competent GM.

I'm not a JJ hater by any means and I'm hopeful he will be great at his job but it did appear that he landed Oubre by accident.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
But what deal are you talking about? There has to be other assets attached OTHER than expiring contracts.

In my opinion, the Suns are more than one good player away from being a good team. Some of the improvement is going to take more good players while the rest will come from development of young players on the roster. The problem is that each young player has shown some potential and shouldn't be trade throw ins.
They gave up a first rounder and Dennis Smith while taking 2 bad contracts for a major injury risk that will demand a max deal anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I read a few articles on it but I didn't listen. But from the write-ups I suspect it means that Oubre will not be re-signed. Or can someone else think of another player that fits the description he's talking about with emotional volatility and inconsistent play? Given what he said about Booker, Jackson and Ayton I think it's clear he's not talking about them. I guess it could be Bridges but I don't see the emotional swings from him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I didn't hear that yesterday, which is when it was recorded or originally aired, but that was a good listen. Thanks for that link. I like how he talks about where the team is. He seems more realistic and unlike McD, he seems to get it a bit more. It's not a matter of adding player X or player Y and then going to compete for a playoff spot. He talks about how guys need to grow and mature, which is not something I recall McD ever saying. It's like McD viewed the roster or team as various numbers, like a video game, and once we had certain players then it was time to compete. Jones seems to understand things from a players point of view, which is more realistic and understands there is a lot more than just adding a certain player and being able to win X number of games or something.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read a few articles on it but I didn't listen. But from the write-ups I suspect it means that Oubre will not be re-signed. Or can someone else think of another player that fits the description he's talking about with emotional volatility and inconsistent play? Given what he said about Booker, Jackson and Ayton I think it's clear he's not talking about them. I guess it could be Bridges but I don't see the emotional swings from him.

I'd recommend listening, it's only 15 minutes or so and it's all in that link, so it's a quick listen. He touched on Booker briefly and Ayton's potential but he didn't seem to give to much away in any regard as far as targeting players, keeping them, or whatever. I definitely didn't get the impression he was speaking about Oubre specifically at any point but once I read your post I tried to recall if he ever mentioned him by name and I don't believe he did. I think he only mentioned Jackson, Booker, and Ayton really with a little bit about Tyler Johnson and I believe he briefly mentioned Bridges as well but that was in reference to how young we are and who is starting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend listening, it's only 15 minutes or so and it's all in that link, so it's a quick listen. He touched on Booker briefly and Ayton's potential but he didn't seem to give to much away in any regard as far as targeting players, keeping them, or whatever. I definitely didn't get the impression he was speaking about Oubre specifically at any point but once I read your post I tried to recall if he ever mentioned him by name and I don't believe he did. I think he only mentioned Jackson, Booker, and Ayton really with a little bit about Tyler Johnson and I believe he briefly mentioned Bridges as well but that was in reference to how young we are and who is starting.

It was this quote that I was talking about:

It starts to go off the rails when we become volatile, when one guy gets lost into his performance or he gets lost into worrying about his stat line or his touches. And we get selfish. Once our team starts to break down and become selfish, we become volatile.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was this quote that I was talking about:

It starts to go off the rails when we become volatile, when one guy gets lost into his performance or he gets lost into worrying about his stat line or his touches. And we get selfish. Once our team starts to break down and become selfish, we become volatile.
I think he is talking about several players. JJ, Booker, Oubre, etc.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A take away for me in the interview, the Suns are not going to rely upon the production of young players to compete.

Jones also talked a lot about developing consistency with the young players.

Also he would not rule out trading for a player with a problem father.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones mentioned some names in a positive manner... Bridges, Jackson, Booker, Ayton and Warren.

He also liked Johnson for his toughness, veteran leadership and shooting.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we get a top 2 pick, we draft Zion or Morant. He might even trade Morant if there is a quality vet pg he could get in exchange.

We will try to sign two quality vet players--not sure who.

We will let Bender go.

Okobo, Melton, JJ, and TJ are trade fodder. Oubre too if a S&T is available.

Yes, I said JJ.

I think future picks are up for trade too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, I said JJ.

So you think this is just Jones talking him up?
He’s relentless. Josh is one of those guys that I say doesn’t take possessions off. He competes. If there’s a loose ball, if there’s a turnover, Josh will run it down.

You’ve seen him steadily get stronger, his endurance has picked up, so he’s playing at a higher pace for longer and he’s wearing teams down. We’re extremely excited about the strides Josh has made, especially over the last few weeks.

I think he might trade JJ but I just don't buy that he's "trade fodder".

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A take away for me in the interview, the Suns are not going to rely upon the production of young players to compete.

Jones also talked a lot about developing consistency with the young players.

Also he would not rule out trading for a player with a problem father.
Wonder if this is in regards to Anthony Davis or Lonzo Ball

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we get a top 2 pick, we draft Zion or Morant. He might even trade Morant if there is a quality vet pg he could get in exchange.

We will try to sign two quality vet players--not sure who.

We will let Bender go.

Yes, I said JJ.

I think JJ is not on the "untouchable list" but I really doubt he's viewed as "fodder". Maybe it's semantics, but I don't see JJ getting moved unless the Suns think they're getting something of high value in return, opposed some of the other guys you mentioned, TJ, Melton, Okobo, those are guys I can see being moved in all kinds of scenarios.

And I don't think Oubre is viewed as a priority. IMO, he only returns of we've settled other questions first, and if we lose him, it is most likely for nothing, sign and trade scenarios seem unlikely with so many teams under the cap and the Suns almost certainly not wanting to take on salary commitments in an Oubre trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if this is in regards to Anthony Davis or Lonzo Ball

The manner in the way the question was asked, with the off season conjecture, I had little doubt they were talking about Lonzo Ball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Volatile? TJ he is the odd man out. Just guessing didn't listen to interview. I have a feeling TJ will be gone

I picked up positive vibes when Warren was mentioned but his salary would probably make a lot of trades fit in regard to salary.