ESPN: Keim and Wilks both on the hot seat?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
LOL... let's see, the team has a whopping 2 wins this season. Keim has proven incapable of selecting a legit NFL-caliber non-QB first rounder. He has failed to put together at minimum, a decent o-line. After all these years, still no adequate Corner Opposite of Peterson. Never had a TE. Never had a stud inside LB. And... aside from a puff of "Smoke," no legit WR behind Fitz...
One can even argue that he lucked out with the David Johnson pick as the RB he was actually after (Abdullah) got picked before Keim was able to grab him.
Kickers/Punters?? LOL...

Too early to assess Wilks... though, he has clearly gotten off to a shaky start for sure.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN's Bill Barnwell says Cardinals GM Steve Keim is on the hot seat. If he does get fired, what would that mean for head coach Steve Wilks?

Knowing this franchise, they'll probably can Keim and promote Wilks to GM to make way for a new HC. :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They both need to go, especially Wilks. If Keim is dismissed, and I believe he will be, then the new GM should be able to hire his own HC. If Michael forces his GM to keep Wilks, we will end up with an inadequate GM.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nightmare scenario: the team suddenly improves and pulls out a few meaningless wins to end the season. Michael B "sees progress" and decides to keep the band together. Additional wins mean crappier draft position, not that Keim would have found a gem at ANY spot in the first couple of rounds. Next year winds up being another clusterfarkle, after which both finally get canned, with a full year wasted that could have been spent on the rebuild.

Blow them both out on the Monday morning after the end of the season.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Personally I’m not buying this report...But if Bidwill is serious about changing the direction of this franchise then I would agree that removing the current GM is step #1 over removing the HC.

Wilks has been a poor hire thus far, but even a great HC would be limited with this roster. I would be hesitant to walk in as a new HC with the current GM calling the shots on the roster I have to work with.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Water is wet. What's to be expected when you look at the talent level of this team and our last 3 years?

Reactions: HGC

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can someone give an example of GM getting fired the year after after drafting a franchise QB with top 10 pick? How many owners fire a GM with 3 years left on contract. Locally, Kent Somers thinks Keim will be back. To a lesser extent Wilks too.

I am the minority who wants Wilks gone tomorrow but hope Keim is retained.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Nightmare scenario: the team suddenly improves and pulls out a few meaningless wins to end the season. Michael B "sees progress" and decides to keep the band together. Additional wins mean crappier draft position, not that Keim would have found a gem at ANY spot in the first couple of rounds. Next year winds up being another clusterfarkle, after which both finally get canned, with a full year wasted that could have been spent on the rebuild.

Blow them both out on the Monday morning after the end of the season.
Yep

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting fact brought up today on Burns & Gambo. Keim's draft success rate is around 43% which doesn't sound good but they mentioned that is actually the league average for teams. He has really missed on fixing the OL as his only real successful FA OL signing was Veldheer and and hasn't really had much success in the draft. They mentioned this year's draft class success so far but mentioned Keim needs to nail this draft as well to make fans forget about the last couple of draft classes and to get this this team turned around which I am all sure we agree on that point. To me the LB corp is the weak spot of the defense and the OL on the offensive side. CAR's defense was successful because of Davis and Kuechly set the tone. ARZ has a laundry list of needs, but aside from a #1 WR and #2 CB those two units need to be the focus this offseason.

The real reason this team has struggled is the fact that the OL and LB units were not properly addressed properly especially with the change to the defensive scheme, Bucananon and Reddick are bad fits. Keim has plenty of time to address the change as Wilks was hired early enough in the offseason. I wonder if the 2018 draft buys Keim another year but Wilks I think is as good as gone, especially if ARZ is willing to pursue a high profile coach.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Can someone give an example of GM getting fired the year after after drafting a franchise QB with top 10 pick? How many owners fire a GM with 3 years left on contract. Locally, Kent Somers thinks Keim will be back. To a lesser extent Wilks too.

I am the minority who wants Wilks gone tomorrow but hope Keim is retained.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

And if Keim whiffs again, we suck, and he gets fired a year later? Now we have ANOTHER coach to fire, MORE money to eat, and we're set back ANOTHER year. No, either we keep both Wilks AND Keim, or they both go. Just too big of a risk otherwise.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Too early to assess Wilks... though, he has clearly gotten off to a shaky start for sure.

That is a very respectable opinion.

Personally, I know a used car salesman, when I see/hear one. Wilks is a used car salesman. He can talk the talk, but cannot walk the walk.

This is what happens when your GM is drunk on the beach, and someone comes and sells him magic beans.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And if Keim whiffs again, we suck, and he gets fired a year later? Now we have ANOTHER coach to fire, MORE money to eat, and we're set back ANOTHER year. No, either we keep both Wilks AND Keim, or they both go. Just too big of a risk otherwise.

I agree. This franchise is a train wreck both on and OFF the field. We'll either keep both or fire both. The big money is on firing both. There are things happening off the field that can possibly be only rumors, so I won't discuss on this forum. And they have nothing to do with booze or drugs. Knowing Michael, he won't tolerate any more embarrassment.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Best way, fire em both on black Monday!!. Bidwill should already have 3 GMs (succesful ones) on his short list, hire a proven GM the day after the season is over, have the GM hire a HC at the latest right after the SB (preferably sooner) and go from there. This whole mediocre "well he's had some success in the draft" and "well Wilks is still new" stuff just delays the inevitable, we will NOT be anywhere close to the playoffs with tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber at the helm. Our talent is bad and alot of injuries? Again who's fault is that? The GM with no depth..let's remember Kiem is from the Rod Graves tree...

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

And you have to figure Leftwich will follow them. If they stay, he stays. If they go, he has to go because I don't think you clean house for a new GM, only to leave the OC. And a demotion back to QB coach would be too awkward. Funny thing is, Leftwich could actually be the one guy they're trying to figure out a way to salvage.

I wonder about who Mike B has to confide in for football advice, besides his HC and GM. I'm completely making this up, but it feels like in a traditional powerhouse franchise like Pittsburgh, you wouldn't have that problem. But with the Cardinals, I'm imagining Mike B by himself, forced to make tough decisions without any true football lifers in his camp that he can trust and confide in besides his HC and GM. I hope I'm wrong about that.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am willing to give Wilks more time. I seldom read/listen to his (or anyone else's, for that matter) press conferences, so don't exactly know what he says. He has/is making changes, seemingly for the better. I think both MB and SK both knew what they were hiring (complete change in offensive/defensive philosophy). So, you have got to give the coach time to succeed. And, he has made some major changes during the course of the season, I think (replaced the QB and the OC, as well as other changes, I think).

GO CARDS:cards:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A pretty safe prognostication by ESPN - with nothing tangible to back it up.

Only a half-slot below the "Tank it for # One" item on my Won't Do list is "We Suck - Whom Can We Fire." (Each to his/her own, but I just find that kind of thinking super-depressing).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose