Encouraging Kyler Murray Trends

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s obvious all of us see things differently. I was on board with drafting Kyler. I am now thrilled we drafted him.

it appears there are a few posters that believe Kyler should have been better. Of course he could have. However, I really don’t know how much better we could have expected. Look at the talent on this offense, the growth of our head coach , the growth of our o- line, our rb situation until the arrival of Drake and finally this wr corp.

Really? It’s a small miracle he performed as well as he did. And the real encouraging part was the improvement as the year wore on.

But hey, that’s just me.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I used the phrase Transcendent talent. I also said his type of game could change the NFL. Still waiting to be disproven.

Cam did it with a horrible completion %.
Lamar came a year earlier than Kyler but no one saw his passing game making this leap.
Deshaun does a ton of the same things as well.
Kyler came in and:
Threw for 3700, Ran for over 500 - One of 6 to do it and only 2 rookies.
Played in all 16 games after being called midget & squeak here and too short and small nationally.
Had the 5th highest completion % for a rookie QB ever (at 5'10")
Had 177 straight passes without an INT. A new NFL record for a rookie.

I don't see any reason he can't be Drew Brees in the pocket (if he works hard enough of course) and a combo of Lamar & Watson on the run. He just has to continue to be smart about big hits and soft tissue injuries.

All of this is going to be based your perspective and your pragmatism.

Don't you want your rookie QB to compare favorably to Deshaun, Cam, & Lamar? Can't you at least SEE the progress over 16 games and project it forward?

Reaction score
Show me that it wasn't said.I don't care when.It was said and you know it The hype was there and you know it.
Don't have to show you squat The fact that it was said is enough.

It was said by the resident Charger fan so take it for what it's worth. Keep clinging to that very small ancient thread though to support your argument. I was against Murray back then btw.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I never thought he was transcendent, because how can one transcend what a guy like Cam already showed or even more what Lamar is doing now if using the word means to transcend the possibilities. Lamar might be consider this in his current system if he can duplicate this current offense juggernaut. The only player of late in the modern era which for me transcends any past player was Deon Sanders. I never saw a player with that kind of acceleration who could cover a twenty yard radius while being twenty yards away... that was transcendent

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I used the phrase Transcendent talent. I also said his type of game could change the NFL. Still waiting to be disproven.

Cam did it with a horrible completion %.
Lamar came a year earlier than Kyler but no one saw his passing game making this leap.
Deshaun does a ton of the same things as well.
Kyler came in and:
Threw for 3700, Ran for over 500 - One of 6 to do it and only 2 rookies.
Played in all 16 games after being called midget & squeak here and too short and small nationally.
Had the 5th highest completion % for a rookie QB ever (at 5'10")
Had 177 straight passes without an INT. A new NFL record for a rookie.

I don't see any reason he can't be Drew Brees in the pocket (if he works hard enough of course) and a combo of Lamar & Watson on the run. He just has to continue to be smart about big hits and soft tissue injuries.

All of this is going to be based your perspective and your pragmatism.

Don't you want your rookie QB to compare favorably to Deshaun, Cam, & Lamar? Can't you at least SEE the progress over 16 games and project it forward?

As I said several times before- KM has flashed good talent and he has also had bad games.Sure it would be all sunshine and lollipops if we knew he would do all the things needed.Point is we don`t know.KM could raise his game or he could pull a Mayfield.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my opinion is made by what I saw.Nice try .:lmao:
Clearly not as you keep talking about phrases that a few posters threw around when evaluating said player.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No grudge.Just want to see more .Is reserving judgement is holding a grudge?
Continually basing your opinion of a player based on what a small group of posters said about a player during the draft last April is grudging, yeah.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Continually basing your opinion of a player based on what a small group of posters said about a player during the draft last April is grudging, yeah.

So basing my view on a Qb who was 5-10-1 with RedZone issues,12 interceptions,48 sacks balanced out by 20 TD passes ONE WIN over a team with a .500 or better record,and being inconsistent is grudging.I say you are grasping.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His completion percentage as a rookie points to a potential Hall of Fame career. Like my Rosen exercise saying his ceiling is Eli, Murray's ceiling is Drew Brees

But it's also Robert Griffin.

As an optimist, I am obviously happy/encouraged/hopeful

But it is completely within the range of outcomes that he is RG3. The only thing that greatly reduces it is his propensity to avoid hits and give himself up

Anyway I understand the why guys like BW52 are still skeptical and need another year to totally buy in

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So basing my view on a Qb who was 5-10-1 with RedZone issues,12 interceptions,48 sacks balanced out by 20 TD passes ONE WIN over a team with a .500 or better record,and being inconsistent is grudging.I say you are grasping.
No. You're now rephrasing. Km had one of the best years you can have as a rookie QB and youre still pouting about him not being what 3 people said he would be.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
His completion percentage as a rookie points to a potential Hall of Fame career. Like my Rosen exercise saying his ceiling is Eli Murray's ceiling is Drew Brees

But it's also Robert Griffin.

As an optimist, I am obviously happy/encouraged/hopeful

But it is completely within the range of outcomes that he is RG3. The only thing that greatly reduces it is his propensity to avoid hits and give himself up

Anyway I understand the why guys like BW52 are still skeptical and need another year to totally buy in

I can`t see why so many take being skeptical and wanting to see more consistent all around play as being negative? As a fan for a long time being burned by finding the QBOF its easy to reserve judgement IMHO.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can`t see why so many take being skeptical and wanting to see more consistent all around play as being negative? As a fan for a long time being burned by finding the QBOF its easy to reserve judgement IMHO.

My guess is that people at their core want hope and are tired of not having it

But there is nothing wrong with your opinion. You are certainly entitled to have it

Just know I will be sorta sunshine and rainbows

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
No. You're now rephrasing. Km had one of the best years you can have as a rookie QB and youre still pouting about him not being what 3 people said he would be.

Now you are wrong.Pouting..,.now thats funny.Because you the getting upset.Nice try but no cigar.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you are wrong.Pouting..,.now thats funny.Because you the getting upset.Nice try but no cigar.
I'm not upset or pouting about anything. None of it matters. I just find it funny that the foundation of your opinion is altered by a few people setting high expectations of him and you drawing a line because of them.

I was a keep Rosen and draft around him guy. Turns out, Murray is substantially better and I was wrong. No problem with that. It's good for my team moving forward.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that people at their core want hope and are tired of not having it

But there is nothing wrong with your opinion. You are certainly entitled to have it

Just know I will be sorta sunshine and rainbows

I used to be sunshine and rainbows but I have gotten a little less patient as I got older and grumpier.:cheers:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not upset or pouting about anything. None of it matters. I just find it funny that the foundation of your opinion is altered by a few people setting high expectations of him and you drawing a line because of them.

I was a keep Rosen and draft around him guy. Turns out, Murray is substantially better and I was wrong. No problem with that. It's good for my team moving forward.

Murray is better than Rosen.I do think Rosen has been put in 2 impossible situations but that`s not what we are talking about.I expected more from KM...…..he did flash those skills at times....other times he didn`t .That's what I based my view on .Inconsistent play.Do I like the potential ..yes ...do I hope he reaches that potential..yes.As a long time Cards fan do I think he will? I don`t know...….Cards luck has a habit of sneaking in and screwing the pooch.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Posted this in another thread but makes sense here. Credit azcardinals Reddit.

K1 is with some good company here. Especially as a rookie.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray is better than Rosen.I do think Rosen has been put in 2 impossible situations but that`s not what we are talking about.I expected more from KM...…..he did flash those skills at times....other times he didn`t .That's what I based my view on .Inconsistent play.Do I like the potential ..yes ...do I hope he reaches that potential..yes.As a long time Cards fan do I think he will? I don`t know...….Cards luck has a habit of sneaking in and screwing the pooch.
I expected him to struggle a lot more than he did. Totally confident we can build a team around him now.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted this in another thread but makes sense here. Credit azcardinals Reddit.

K1 is with some good company here. Especially as a rookie.

You must be registered for see images attach
Pretty stellar, even as a #1 pick

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I never thought he was transcendent, because how can one transcend what a guy like Cam already showed or even more what Lamar is doing now if using the word means to transcend the possibilities.

I thought he had MVP level..... Top 5 QB talent at the position. With Lamar & Cam winning the MVP....... They both are high bars to clear.

I think Kyler can be 4000 + 700 with a 68% comp % and 40 passing TD's & 5 running TD's. THAT'S HOW BAD ASS I THINK HE COULD BE.

With a big caveat that I said COULD BE. Cam and Lamar have never done that. Only Kyler & Deshaun can even be in the conversation to attempt it IMO.

That would be rarefied air IMO

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I never thought he was transcendent, because how can one transcend what a guy like Cam already showed or even more what Lamar is doing now if using the word means to transcend the possibilities. Lamar might be consider this in his current system if he can duplicate this current offense juggernaut. The only player of late in the modern era which for me transcends any past player was Deon Sanders. I never saw a player with that kind of acceleration who could cover a twenty yard radius while being twenty yards away... that was transcendent
I thought he had MVP level..... Top 5 QB talent at the position. With Lamar & Cam winning the MVP....... They both are high bars to clear.

I think Kyler can be 4000 + 700 with a 68% comp % and 40 passing TD's & 5 running TD's. THAT'S HOW BAD ASS I THINK HE COULD BE.

With a big caveat that I said COULD BE. Cam and Lamar have never done that. Only Kyler & Deshaun can even be in the conversation to attempt it IMO.

That would be rarefied air IMO
Come on guys, give me a break. "Transcendent" doesn't have to mean better than anyone else, but just a player in the conversation for the best at his position year-to-year. I know the definition, but, right now that's Mahomes, that's Jackson... Watson might get there. Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are guys who were or are in that conversation.

The functional point of the term and the arguments that were going on were that KM was going to be one of the best QBs this league has ever seen. I believe it was @DVontel (and sorry man, I don't mean to drag you into things, I just think you said this in one of our discussions, this might have been Vacard), that said they'd be disappointed if Kyler doesn't have an MVP, Super Bowl, experience extremely memorable playoff moments, etc. And that was during the season.

I think Kyler might end up top 10 some seasons, and he'll put up some pretty awesome stats.