Elson

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rumored deal Seattle and Denver

Murray, Evans and Potapenko

for

Watson and Russell

Denver has to make a roster spot to complete the deal, with Evans and Potapenko coming aboard Elson could be moved. Use 750K of our trade exception.

If Denver will make a deal with a divisional foe(Seattle), they would not stop making a deal with a conference opponent(Suns).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Someone earlier talked about our TE and getting another player, which in reality would probably not be effective because we have so many players that can get playing time already. We'd lose part of the TE, but we'd add yet another player? Even though we don't play it that way, it can be said that we are 11-men deep right now. Adding a 12th doesn't do much for our chances, even in the playoffs. Stockpiling role players who aren't going to play is not what we should be doing right now, not with Amare coming back soon.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I think we do need another big man. I think Elson fits the mold. Then we could get rid of Pat Burke, who's looked nothing but lost from what I've seen.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I saw earlier, I think it was Paul Caro, said we could use part of the trade exception to help resign players, and I think it was Barbosa mentioned. If so, I could see the Suns using it to resign one of our guys who plays now, rather than some guy who we may not keep around. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
I think we do need another big man. I think Elson fits the mold. Then we could get rid of Pat Burke, who's looked nothing but lost from what I've seen.

I'll admit, I just very desperate for a 10-12 minute role playing center. I'm just so tired of the Suns being outmuscled and their lack of a defensive presence underneath the boards that Elson looks good. But so did Hunter (to me), except for his salary and long term committment. I have no idea about Elson's contract.

I think the Suns, if they are willing to invest their potential four first round draft picks over the next two years, in drafting bigs and a PG can probably resolve most of their long term issues on the cheap which appears (IMO) to be their plan (because the Suns already have quality star players under contract).

I know that I'm one of the few, but just having Reggie Evans on the team for the rest of the year (or an Elson) would help the Suns inside if one could be had on the cheap. I think Evans contract is only about 1.1 million and expires this year. I think he would pay dividends in the playoffs if only to rebound and to take some hard fouls.

So I would like the Suns to consider essentially renting a big man with an expiring contract for the rest of the season for a second round pick or such while Amare gets healthy and when Diaw and KT have to take the bench. I'm sorry to say, I just do not see Burke contributing much down the stretch.

If the Suns have a chance to make a run for a Championship this year they should do everything reasonably possible to do so. Too often, tomorrow never comes. The Suns are only one injury away to a player like Nash for the window of opportunity to close.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
With Camby fragile and Nene out for the season, would Elson realistically be traded this year? He's better than Potapenko and close to Evans.

sunsfn

Reaction score
If the suns could move JJackson someplace they may do that, other wise I do not think they will.

They have 14 players now with Amare and Grant coming back.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
With Camby fragile and Nene out for the season, would Elson realistically be traded this year? He's better than Potapenko and close to Evans.

that's right. I don't think Elson is going anywhere.

Joe Mama

Errntknght

Reaction score
Theoretically, Reggie Evans would be an ideal role player for the Suns. We are not getting killed by tall C/PF's down low so we don't necessarily need to add height but we are getting killed on the boards and there's no one better than Evans at cleaning them up. In fact, it's often an opponent of about Reggie's height who is muscling our guys aside and doing the most damage so there'd usually be someone he could guard effectively when he's needed.

Unfortunately he isn't happy being a role player in Seattle so it doesn't figure he'd be happy about it here. I think he has veto power on a trade he's involved in this year so we'd have to sell him as well as the Sonics. At this point Seattle probably gives him up for a late first round draft pick but how do we convince Reggie to finish out the season here?

As unlikely as that deal sounds, picking up Elson as fallout of the proposed Sonic-Nugs deal seems less likely. If Denver would give him up that lightly why wouldn't he be part of the trade instead of Watson or Russell - neither of whom fills a crying need for the Sonics. Surely, they don't really want Russell who can't get PT on a team hurting at SG. (In fact, I think the Nugs are playing Watson at that position of late.) Giving up Evans and Potapenko, it seems that Seattle would be asking for a big in return and Elson is useful. I think he'd be a great pick up for us... he's not as good a rebounder as Evans but he runs the floor pretty well so he'd be a decent fit and he can guard C/PFs, which sure wouldn't hurt.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
If Denver would give him up that lightly why wouldn't he be part of the trade instead of Watson or Russell - neither of whom fills a crying need for the Sonics.

Seattle really hurts when Ridnour is off the floor. Flip is a SG not a point. This would give Denver their needed SG and Seattle a solid backup point. Evans is likely only thrown in due to his own discontent. I don't know much about the Nuggets but I follow the Sonics. It's a shame to give up Flip I think. He scores big every time Allen is out. If it weren't for Barbosa I'd be a fervent fan of landing him for the Suns. Anyhow, Evans isn't a great passer or shooter so he'd be a liability in D'As system. His rebounding would be appreciated though.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks it unlikely that any serious Western Confern contender would trade a sometimes starter center to the Suns? Getting an Evens from the out of Sonics is more feasible but he is clearly not a good fit.

The teams that will sell cheap are ones that are out of contention who either want to get something for a guy they are likely to lose anyway next summer or to trade a guy who has some time on his contract for an expiring deal.

OP
OP
C

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
As unlikely as that deal sounds, picking up Elson as fallout of the proposed Sonic-Nugs deal seems less likely. If Denver would give him up that lightly why wouldn't he be part of the trade instead of Watson or Russell - neither of whom fills a crying need for the Sonics. Surely, they don't really want Russell who can't get PT on a team hurting at SG. (In fact, I think the Nugs are playing Watson at that position of late.) Giving up Evans and Potapenko, it seems that Seattle would be asking for a big in return and Elson is useful. I think he'd be a great pick up for us... he's not as good a rebounder as Evans but he runs the floor pretty well so he'd be a decent fit and he can guard C/PFs, which sure wouldn't hurt.

I disagree, the Sonics have got to develope Robert Swift and Johan Petro. Mikki Moore is also on the roster.

Evans is more of a Karl and Kiki type player than Elson, see Eduardo Najera.

The Nuggets have got to send a message that they will match any offer or keep teams from making offers on Nene next summer. By letting Elson go they make it more evident that they will match.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I like Reggie Evans.

He is what Cotton would call a dirt worker.

He does all the dirty work under the boards. Not a bad guy to have on the bench if you need him IMO.

I agree with Joe Mama on the subject of this thread however. Denver is not goning to send us Elson.

OP
OP
C

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I like Reggie Evans.

He is what Cotton would call a dirt worker.

He does all the dirty work under the boards. Not a bad guy to have on the bench if you need him IMO.

I agree with Joe Mama on the subject of this thread however. Denver is not goning to send us Elson.

Denver is not opposed to trading in the Western Conference. Made the deal with GS for Najera and also traded with Portland on draft day for Klieza. The Seattle deal would not change that trend.

Kiki made the big deal with Dallas that included Van Exel and LaFrentz, sure it was for cap space but it still helped the Mavs.

The TE could help the Nuggets in other deals. Elson could get a big offer over the summer and may not be with the Suns past this season any how.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Denver is not opposed to trading in the Western Conference. Made the deal with GS for Najera and also traded with Portland on draft day for Klieza. The Seattle deal would not change that trend.

I think a trade with Seattle for the Nuggets is feasible. Seattle is not a contender this this year.

Kiki made the big deal with Dallas that included Van Exel and LaFrentz, sure it was for cap space but it still helped the Mavs.

If memory serves me, Denver wasn't that good back then. This year the Nuggets lead their division and have a fair chance of meeting the Suns in the playoffs.

The TE could help the Nuggets in other deals. Elson could get a big offer over the summer and may not be with the Suns past this season any how.

That's a reason why the Suns might blink, but the question relates to whether the Nuggets would do it. From a Suns standpoint, they might take Elson in preparation for a sign and trade, the expiring contract might not be a hinderance. In any case, I can't believe the Nuggets would trade Elson unless they got a top level SG in return.

OP
OP
C

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I think a trade with Seattle for the Nuggets is feasible. Seattle is not a contender this this year.

If memory serves me, Denver wasn't that good back then. This year the Nuggets lead their division and have a fair chance of meeting the Suns in the playoffs.

That's a reason why the Suns might blink, but the question relates to whether the Nuggets would do it. From a Suns standpoint, they might take Elson in preparation for a sign and trade, the expiring contract might not be a hinderance. In any case, I can't believe the Nuggets would trade Elson unless they got a top level SG in return.

If we sent them Jim Jackson in return for Voshon Leonard and Francisco Elson it would eliminate the baggage that Vo has become for the Nuggets. He has only played in 12 games this year. If JJ wants off the bench for PT he proved valuable in the playoffs for us last year, he would contribute more than Leonard every could in this post season.

We could then just pay Leonard to sit or cut him loose and put him on waivers. If we give them someone that could be utilized down the stretch it might make the deal happen.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The only trade value JJax has is that he's an expiring contract. If some team has a guy that makes around $3 mil. this year, has a couple of more years on his contract, isn't working out and would be valuable to the Suns they might take JJax in return.

Does such a player exist?:shrug:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The only trade value JJax has is that he's an expiring contract. If some team has a guy that makes around $3 mil. this year, has a couple of more years on his contract, isn't working out and would be valuable to the Suns they might take JJax in return.

Does such a player exist?:shrug:

No.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort