Edge, Hood, LaBoy cut

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yeah because 3 mill is going to make a dent in 60 mill worth of guarantee's for those 3 players.
Exactly!

I am pissed about Hood. We have no idea if McFadden is even as good as Hood. You use 3 CB alot of the time and who ever starts doesnt matter you still need to be 3 deep at CB IMO.

We just went from a very solid secondary to thin and questionable.

And just ask Joe, we dont need to make cap room to extend players. Extending Dansby would actually lower his cap number. Extending Boldin and AW would only raise the cap a few mill. Cutting Edge was enough.

Yes Hod had a down year but he has been a very solid signing for us.

I am pissed.

Reaction score
I hate the cutting of Hood. But I am going to have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I just don't believe this is a "same old Cardinals" money pinching move. There's got to be more to it.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The Cards better have a plan in place. Maybe a trade for Peppers(then I would be OK) :)

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Hood did not give up a lot of big plays. You saw him do it two three times last year when he had the receiver blanketed and no all of a sudden its a lot of big plays. You have to be thinking about Green. Hood was ranked in the top 10 in success rate among CB's the last two years according to the football prospectus writers.

The only thing Brown has over Hood is salary, but there is not a debate in the world that can convince anyone that Brown is better then Hood.

McFaddan > Hood > Brown. But he was expendable. I think that Rolle will be playing the nickle slot and R.Johnson as FS in nickle and dime packages and maybe more. I think he'll start to play big minutes right off the bat.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
The Cards better have a plan in place. Maybe a trade for Peppers(then I would be OK) :)

That will never happen unless:

1) Sign Karlos to an extension first

2) Make sure Peppers has a contract in place before he is signed.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Francisco never lined up over the WR in the slot, Rolle did. Francisco played the deep middle. The point is that Rolle stayed in to cover the slot receiver, not AF. If that scenario hold true, Rolle would still cover the third WR in most sets and Johnson play the deep middle. regardless who the 5th DB is in the game, Rolle still bumps down to the slot in our nickel package. That seems like a wash to me.

And one could easily argue that Hood would cover the slot reciever better than Rolle, and Rolle would cover the deep middle better than Francisco. Just 2 years ago, Hood was our top corner and one of the best in the NFC, and Rolle was beaten so bad he got moved to safety.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well, one explanation is that Bryant McFadden is "better" than Rod Hood. At least that is how the front office sees it.

After that you have Ralph Brown, and Toler as your interior CB's.

Rashad Johnson rounding out your 3 safeties.

Hood is a head scratcher but he is not THAT good. A solid CB was what he was.

While you seem to willing to accept Brown over Hood as our back-up, I'm not...
Hood is 100x better than Ralph Brown and as has been suggested here already, I am not at all convinced (yet) that McFadden is better than Hood.

I really don't see the logic in letting Hood go.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I hate the cutting of Hood. But I am going to have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I just don't believe this is a "same old Cardinals" money pinching move. There's got to be more to it.

Maybe it does have some bearing on the extension and bonus $$$$ to get Anquan done and more content and back to being the true leader HE IS.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Hood being let go has all to do with special teams play, and salary. His cover skills are exponentially better than Brown or Adams, or the rookie 4th rounder, uggh, this sucks. If McFadden or DRC go down, we're in bad shape, I don't trust Brown or Adams in coverage, felt alot safer with Hood. Hood was only making 3.5M I think, not much at all for a nickel corner in todays NFL capworld, stupid stupid move imho.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
:shrug: Until we hear otherwise, I cannot help but view the cutting of Hood as anything more than saving money and pinching pennies. We lose cap space on the deal, making actual monetary savings the only fiscal gain. He is CLEARLY better than Brown, and the move now leaves us with almost no depth at the position. This makes no sense even given that we're trying to get extensions and contracts done. Unless the team just wants extra cash to pay out in bonuses. And, if we have to cut talented players that can clearly still contribute a lot to the team just to re-sign or extend others...well, in that case, the Bidwills will have regressed 100 percent into the past. This is just a head scratcher to me. I'm not going to flip out yet, but I'm really anxious as to what the hell the thinking was behind this.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched both Hood and McFadden and to be honest both of them sucked last year. But looking back to 2007 Hood was head and shoulder better than McFadden. I don't understand why you would cut him at all especially when you don't have any solid CB on your roster besides DRC. Ellis Hobbs was a scrub and he got traded for two 5th rounders so cards could've done soemthing with Hood. Anyway this leads back to the cheapness of the Bidwills.

Dumb remark of the day.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We're probably not done making moves.

But I think he can be replaced adequately this year, by Rolle who'll have a big year, IMO.

And your going to love Rashad Johnson as well. :)

Why in the world would you see Rolle as a possible replacement to Hood?? They don't even play the same position - THANK GOD - as Rolle has proven in vivid color how much he SUCKS at CB...

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
:shrug: Until we hear otherwise, I cannot help but view the cutting of Hood as anything more than saving money and pinching pennies. We lose cap space on the deal, making actual monetary savings the only fiscal gain. He is CLEARLY better than Brown, and the move now leaves us with almost no depth at the position. This makes no sense even given that we're trying to get extensions and contracts done. Unless the team just wants extra cash to pay out in bonuses. And, if we have to cut talented players that can clearly still contribute a lot to the team just to re-sign or extend others...well, in that case, the Bidwills will have regressed 100 percent into the past. This is just a head scratcher to me. I'm not going to flip out yet, but I'm really anxious as to what the hell the thinking was behind this.

Ding, Ding , Ding....A winner!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the stomach to read all of these posts, but for the record I am not in favor of cutting LaBoy or Hood.

I'm not a huge Hood fan (I don't see what many of you do in him), but he was a solid starter. And I thought LaBoy was a pretty key cog in the defense even though he lapsed at times.

I just don't understand it.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This regimes top 3 FA acquisitions since they got here two years ago was Al Johnson, Rod Hood, and Laboy. All of them gone. We paid Al Johnson 10 mill for one season and we paid Laboy over 8 mill for one season. Great use of money right there. Just a horrible job of evaluating the talent you want for your team in free agency. Hopefully are new pro player personnel guy will fix that mess.

That may very well explain why Graves hired a very experienced pro personnel guy this year. It was a little surprising to me that T. J. McCreight came here to fill a job that was essentially a demotion for him.

The other two guys being considered (names escape me now) also seemed a bit overqualified. Men with resumes like theirs never used to be interested or considered for that job level here.

Maybe, just maybe, ownership upped the salary available to pay that position. When Tobin and McGinnis were head coaches, the extremely nice man filling the pro player personnel position was very inexperienced Rodd Newhouse. He was fired.

I don't remember who the last few guys were nor where they went nor why. It has been a turnstile job here.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I don't have the stomach to read all of these posts, but for the record I am not in favor of cutting LaBoy or Hood.

I'm not a huge Hood fan (I don't see what many of you do in him), but he was a solid starter. And I thought LaBoy was a pretty key cog in the defense even though he lapsed at times.

I just don't understand it.

I think that Hood is the less replaceable of the two, much harder to replace and a great insurance policy.

LaBoy was/is way too injury prone.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Joe brought up the best point in regards to the piss-poor job of finding talent outside the ogranization in free agency. I'm not however going to bash losing these guys if it gets our most talented players locked up and happy.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This regimes top 3 FA acquisitions since they got here two years ago was Al Johnson, Rod Hood, and Laboy. All of them gone. We paid Al Johnson 10 mill for one season

I think that was the year we lost L. Davis. The org. overpaid to get OL talent in a need area. Most here were happy with this huge overpayment , if I recall correctly.

and we paid Laboy over 8 mill for one season. Great use of money right there.

What a :barf:

Just a horrible job of evaluating the talent you want for your team in free agency. Hopefully are new pro player personnel guy will fix that mess.

At least we got very serviceable years out of Hood and James ($$$$), but us being the Cardinals (at those times) , we probably had to overpay to get talent to consider us unfortunately. Hopefully we're in more of a Patriots era where we can pick and choose more "craftily". :devil:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
And one could easily argue that Hood would cover the slot reciever better than Rolle, and Rolle would cover the deep middle better than Francisco. Just 2 years ago, Hood was our top corner and one of the best in the NFC, and Rolle was beaten so bad he got moved to safety.

So then we are back to my original contention.....we are no worse off than last year when we play the nickel. Now to your point, we may not be any better than we were in the nickel last year, but we are no worse. I was not debating who is better than who, just that Hood's value dropped the second we signed McFadden and bottomed out when we drafted a safety who can cover.

2 years ago Hood played very, very well. Hood has even excelled in that role before in Philly. However, the last half of last year was not his best. But perhaps the staff saw a bad trend in his play and didn't see the value in his contract over his potential replacements.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So then we are back to my original contention.....we are no worse off than last year when we play the nickel. Now to your point, we may not be any better than we were in the nickel last year, but we are no worse. I was not debating who is better than who, just that Hood's value dropped the second we signed McFadden and bottomed out when we drafted a safety who can cover.

2 years ago Hood played very, very well. Hood has even excelled in that role before in Philly. However, the last half of last year was not his best. But perhaps the staff saw a bad trend in his play and didn't see the value in his contract over his potential replacements.

Spot on. People easily forget the job that Rolle did in the nickel before.

Reaction score
I believe this might be a defensive philosophy shift....

Clancy wanted CB's 10 yards deep almost every time the ball is snapped. Maybe Davis and Wiz understand that Hood is not a very good pressure corner. We all know that physicality is not his game.

So what we do is draft guys with massive speed and skills, sign bigger, more physical corners, and get rid of the guys who are more artsy-fartsy.
Great post! I hadn't considered this, but it makes sense. :thumbup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player