Edge, Hood, LaBoy cut

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Edge Released!

Three days after drafting Chris Wells in the first-round, the Arizona Cardinals finally gave Edgerrin James his release, a source said.

NFC West blog

ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.Blog network: NFL Nation

James, who was in the final year of his contract, has been asking for his release since the beginning of the offseason. The Cardinals told him he would stay on the roster until they found his replacement. On Tuesday, the time came for his release.

the Rest of the blog.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4108552

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
Wasn't too excited about the signing, but he did pretty darn good for a team that has struggled with running the ball over the last decade or two.

Never really agree'd with his me first attitude when it comes to stats, but if that's how he wants to play, I hope he lands somewhere that can give him 30 a game.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
WOW that was unexpected about Hood and Laboy. With the savings of 6 mil who will now get extended. 1st Wilson then maybe Boldin.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I am slightly shocked about Hood but even more shocked at LaBoy. I thought he had some value. Hood also had some value, but was overpaid for a nickel corner.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
Did anyone see the Hood drop coming? What was his cap hit this year going to be?

Nevermind, read the article and it says 3 million salary. Not sure if that was his actual cap hit or not though.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't expect Hood to be cut. Laboy just didn't produce last year but I thought until we had some decent depth he'd stick around.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
WOW that was unexpected about Hood and Laboy. With the savings of 6 mil who will now get extended. 1st Wilson then maybe Boldin.

Isn't it $5 million for James, $3 million for Hood and $2 million for Laboy? Meaning $10 million--Joe will straighten me out I am sure.

Reaction score
According to the NFL Players Association, James had been scheduled to make $5 million in salary, LaBoy $2 million and Hood $3 million. The trio will leave a total of about $8.5 million in pro-rated bonus money against the salary cap, putting the salary cap savings at approximately $6 million

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was certainly an upgrade over Emmitt Smith in that he still has some mileage left on the tires. Both were/ are great running backs.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WOW! I am completely shocked... I hope Brown and Toler turn out to be usable in certain situations.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Wow about LaBoy. Maybe they don't see him being able to stay healthy any more than he did last year. I would guess it wasn't related to his production when he was healthy and on the field.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That answers the "Why we drafted Toler question." He will now play a major role for the team.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
According to the NFL Players Association, James had been scheduled to make $5 million in salary, LaBoy $2 million and Hood $3 million. The trio will leave a total of about $8.5 million in pro-rated bonus money against the salary cap, putting the salary cap savings at approximately $6 million

Thats some weird math, I thought when you cut a player you saved everything but bonus money? Where is Joe?

Edge alone was supposed to save us $5 million

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow about LaBoy. Maybe they don't see him being able to stay healthy any more than he did last year. I would guess it wasn't related to his production when he was healthy and on the field.

He did nothing last year...4 sacks against 2 of the worst OL in football wasn't the production they were looking for.

I still thought he'd be around just because we didn't have a lot of depth or quality at that position.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Wow. I really don't get it. Hood was pretty solid for us and LaBoy had some good games, just too injury prone. But with B-Train and Hagans also having injuries, this could really leave us thin. So much for bringing along the draft picks slowly, they're going to have to produce this year.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Rod Hood was a pretty good player in my opinion. Maybe the coaches thought he was too vulnerable on deep balls, since he seemed to always give up the big passing plays. Hopefully this cap can be used to extend Wilson.