Edge, Hood, LaBoy cut

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Hood was an easy call. You can't pay the guy 3 mill a year to be a nickel cb when you have a guy doing the same or at times better job making 600k ( Ralph Brown ) Brown also plays special teams. The other thing to consider is as Earthsci and Mitch alluded to.. Rolle has played and performed very well in the nickel situation. Drafting Rashad Johnson made that a no brainer. You also have Francisco who can play in spot duty. He gets the knod right now because he plays very well on special teams.

Davis (new DC) mentioned this very thing in his video right after we drafted Johnson.

3 mill is not to much. Hood is way better then Brown, not even a debate. Fransisco plays special teams but doesn't play defense. You want to rely on Rookies?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agreed. At least when it comes to Hood.

CB: DRC
CB: McFadden
NB: Ralph Brown

Depth: Toler, Adams, Wilrey Fontenot

McFadden is a good player but I would have liked to see Hood stay around. It must have been a pure cap move.

As for LaBoy ? Meh, the guy was hurt 95% of the time, 4% of the time he was undisciplined/ineffective, and 1% he actually did something.

Bertrand Berry
Clark Haggans
Chike Okeafor
Cody Brown
Victor Hobson
Will Davis

Not bad. And in reality we went to the Superbowl on the backs of Berry and Okeafor. Or old and older.

The move should raise your eyebrows a little. I was shocked to say the least.

You can argue about Hood, but I don't see where LaBoy and Edge are a loss of any kind.

But as Joeschmo said.....I hope they have a flippin' plan.

DB: Wilrey Fontenot
LB: Victor Hobson

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow I knew Edge was going to be cut, but i'm a little surprised at Hood and Laboy being cut but we better use that money to resign boldin and dansby we better do something. I really hope Brown pans out and that rookie cb we drafted. Guess we will find out in a few months! I just really loved what Laboy brought to the team he was such a high energy player and brought it every play sad to see him go :(.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
3 mill is not to much. Hood is way better then Brown, not even a debate. You want to rely on Rookies?

3 mil IS too much when you have 3 "core" players who you want to sign to long term deals who all could command 20 million guaranteed.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
3 mil IS too much when you have 3 "core" players who you want to sign to long term deals who all could command 20 million guaranteed.

Yeah because 3 mill is going to make a dent in 60 mill worth of guarantee's for those 3 players.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
LOL ok, maybe we are just miscommunicating. Our four starters would play (Hood, Green/DRC, Wilson, and Rolle) and Fransisco came in to play safety. As the teams 5th DB, he was playing the nickel position, regardless of his normal allignment.

That term "nickel" is just your 5th DB in a 5 DB package. It is the same thing, you are just calling our nickel back our nickel safety. Unless you claim Rolle was our "nickel back" last year because he played a reciever and Francisco was our "nickel safety". If this is your interpretation, we are in the same boat as last year and no harm, no foul.

The only way we are in the same boat as last year is if Francisco would be better covering the 3rd WR than Hood would have been. No way is that close to being true. The funny thing about it is, we would have saved a mil cutting Francisco. The move makes no sense no matter how you slice it, especially since it was negated by the cutting of Laboy.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Do people forget how many big plays Hood gives up? Brown is better at the position, and much cheaper.

Hood did not give up a lot of big plays. You saw him do it two three times last year when he had the receiver blanketed and no all of a sudden its a lot of big plays. You have to be thinking about Green. Hood was ranked in the top 10 in success rate among CB's the last two years according to the football prospectus writers.

The only thing Brown has over Hood is salary, but there is not a debate in the world that can convince anyone that Brown is better then Hood.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah because 3 mill is going to make a dent in 60 mill worth of guarantee's for those 3 players.

Im not the salary cap guy.. but 3 mil is a helluva lot of money to pay a guy that was one dimensional and sucked at that one dimension.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only way we are in the same boat as last year is if Francisco would be better covering the 3rd WR than Hood would have been. No way is that close to being true. The funny thing about it is, we would have saved a mil cutting Francisco. The move makes no sense no matter how you slice it, especially since it was negated by the cutting of Laboy.

It obviously made "sense" to management or it wouldn't have been done.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Until DRC blossomed, Hood was by far our best CB... I really don't understand why he was let go... Would love to see the Cards offer some explanation...

:mad:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
There is only a few conceivable reason for releasing Hood becuase it has nothing to do with Cap, his salary would only make a dent in extensions, He is cleary better the Brown and its laughable to think otherwise. Did he make a stink about the McFadden signing, does he have some in his medical file that they find concerning like they did with Laboy(rumored).

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
It obviously made "sense" to management or it wouldn't have been done.

Well management has thought alot of stuff made sense.......until last year, that same management team has been absolutely pathetic, so that doesn't make me feel any better about the cuts.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I believe this might be a defensive philosophy shift....

Clancy wanted CB's 10 yards deep almost every time the ball is snapped. Maybe Davis and Wiz understand that Hood is not a very good pressure corner. We all know that physicality is not his game.

So what we do is draft guys with massive speed and skills, sign bigger, more physical corners, and get rid of the guys who are more artsy-fartsy.

And I really do believe Johnson might beat out Rolle for the 2nd Safety spot full time. If not, Rolle moves up and plays some Nickel CB and Johnson comes in to play center field.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
One thing that is VERY surprising is the fact that our #1 & #2 corners from opening day last year are now both gone.

This is an amazing turn of events.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I believe this might be a defensive philosophy shift....

Clancy wanted CB's 10 yards deep almost every time the ball is snapped. Maybe Davis and Wiz understand that Hood is not a very good pressure corner. We all know that physicality is not his game.

So what we do is draft guys with massive speed and skills, sign bigger, more physical corners, and get rid of the guys who are more artsy-fartsy.

And I really do believe Johnson might beat out Rolle for the 2nd Safety spot full time. If not, Rolle moves up and plays some Nickel CB and Johnson comes in to play center field.

This is actually the best "reason" I have seen about letting Hood go. Financially it doesn't make any sense but that could be it.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Until DRC blossomed, Hood was by far our best CB... I really don't understand why he was let go... Would love to see the Cards offer some explanation...

:mad:

Well, one explanation is that Bryant McFadden is "better" than Rod Hood. At least that is how the front office sees it.

After that you have Ralph Brown, and Toler as your interior CB's.

Rashad Johnson rounding out your 3 safeties.

Hood is a head scratcher but he is not THAT good. A solid CB was what he was.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score

Francisco never lined up over the WR in the slot, Rolle did. Francisco played the deep middle. The point is that Rolle stayed in to cover the slot receiver, not AF. If that scenario hold true, Rolle would still cover the third WR in most sets and Johnson play the deep middle. regardless who the 5th DB is in the game, Rolle still bumps down to the slot in our nickel package. That seems like a wash to me.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
No I got it pretty easy. The reason I asked about Karlos was with Foote being released I could see the possibly telling Karlos he may be cut if he doesn't sign. If he doesn't sign (which would be dumb because he would have to sign somewhere else and I doubt someone will give him that much money for just one year of service). But if he decided to walk that alone saves you what he was making. Sign Foote and and outside end/linebacker and you have saved alot of money.

I agree, the time for Karlos to sign is now. This has dragged on for too long, and I don't blame the FO alone. Get it done.

Signing Foote now would also be wise.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Francisco never lined up over the WR in the slot, Rolle did. Francisco played the deep middle. The point is that Rolle stayed in to cover the slot receiver, not AF. If that scenario hold true, Rolle would still cover the third WR in most sets and Johnson play the deep middle. regardless who the 5th DB is in the game, Rolle still bumps down to the slot in our nickel package. That seems like a wash to me.

You hit the nail on the head.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

:thumbup: