Edge Could Be Gone -rumor-

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Some of you guys have lost your minds. I shudder to think of the Cards running game this year with Shipp, Arrington, or some other mid-level free agent as the feature back. While not a speedster, James is still pretty hard to bring down when he gets some space and frequently gets extra yards after contact when he gets a proper angle.

RC - please re-read my posts... I ONLY suggested the possibility of no Edge IF we backfilled with a high-quality replacement!! :bang:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I shudder to think of the Cards running game this year with Shipp, Arrington, or some other mid-level free agent as the feature back.

Ron Moore rushed for 1018 yards in 1993 after Garrison Hearst blew out his knee. Averaged 3.9 yards per carry and scored 9 TDs rushing.

Marcel Shipp rushed for an average of 4.4 yards per carry and scored 6 TDs in 2002 while Thomas Jones was learning how to answer the telephone.

On the other hand Shipp and JJ were horrendous in 2005 when asked to carry the load.

So you never know.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I shudder to think of the Cards running game this year with Shipp, Arrington, or some other mid-level free agent as the feature back.

Ron Moore rushed for 1018 yards in 1993 after Garrison Hearst blew out his knee. Averaged 3.9 yards per carry and scored 9 TDs rushing.

Marcel Shipp rushed for an average of 4.4 yards per carry and scored 6 TDs in 2002 while Thomas Jones was learning how to answer the telephone.

On the other hand Shipp and JJ were horrendous in 2005 when asked to carry the load.

So you never know.

BTW: Shipp and Arrington have a total of 72 carries to James' 661 over the last two seasons. By comparison Michael Turner of SD has 151 to LD's 663.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It is the Cardinal way to cut Edge and lock yourself into taking a RB in round 1. The same could be said for LB with Dansby.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Huh?? Are you seriously comparing Edge and his impact on this team, to that of Karlos Dansby?? Wow...
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Dansby is the better player but your starting RB who has has back to back 1000+ yard seasons and is your main ball carrier(300+ carries) has about as much impact on your team as anyone other than the QB. I would say that about any team, not just the Cardinals.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Dansby is the better player but your starting RB who has has back to back 1000+ yard seasons and is your main ball carrier(300+ carries) has about as much impact on your team as anyone other than the QB. I would say that about any team, not just the Cardinals.

Well, I guess you can make that argument, however, IMO, Dansby by far is more important to this team than Edge...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
RC - please re-read my posts... I ONLY suggested the possibility of no Edge IF we backfilled with a high-quality replacement!! :bang:

True - it would be nice if a premier RB fell into our lap, but James is still one of the better backs in the league. We need some upgrades defensively more than we need a new RB IMHO.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
True - it would be nice if a premier RB fell into our lap, but James is still one of the better backs in the league. We need some upgrades defensively more than we need a new RB IMHO.

I think we can do both... I think we can add a better threat at RB while filling some holes on defense... At least I hope so... ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Honestly, I'd be willing to give a shot to one of the many RB's coming out this year... As I've suggested though - I really don't believe Edge will take well to splitting his carries, particularly with a rook. But if my hunch is right about our o-line, I believe even a rookie would be able to get us 3.8 Yards per Carry, while representing more of a threat at the position versus Edge...

As for FA's, I honestly haven't delved too deeply into who will be out there... I've seen a few names tossed around already, and really, none of them have excited me much... Turner from San Diego could be interesting, but I'm not sure he'd be an effective every-down back...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be willing to give a shot to one of the many RB's coming out this year... ...

We tried that with Arrington not long ago, but yeah, that wouldn't be horrible. But it would mean using a high draft pick to get an impact guy. He better be an obvious BPA.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We tried that with Arrington not long ago, but yeah, that wouldn't be horrible. But it would mean using a high draft pick to get an impact guy. He better be an obvious BPA.

I think if the Cardinals got an adequate replacement before they released him, even most of us who like Edge could live with it. But, I also think a whole lot of us would be really ticked if we create a huge hole, where we don't have one right now, and then repeat what we did last year at LT.

AZHEAD

Reaction score
What are the chances that the Cards could get Jamal Charles? Does anyone have any idea how high in the draft he might go?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Get me somebody to take his place.

Somebody name a free agent or a draft choice that is certain to be there when we pick.

THEN we can talk about letting Edge go.

i'm not advocating getting rid of edge (though i do think we need to ADD some young blood with speed), but i think i'd be inclined to let edge walk if we signed burner turner of sd.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm getting some stats out of whack and will probably always do so. I mix up Holt and Hood when talking about our secondary too.

One thing I am not wrong on is that Edge will not be a Cardinal by the time the regular season starts next year.

Donald -- didn't mean to insult when calling Edge supporters self-delusional. Got into the heat of an argument, charging ahead, not realizing it really did sound insulting.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I am an avid edge supporter. Durable, grinding, pass pro, good hands ootbf , best we have had in AZ, well best we had that fans didn't run out of town too young. What he did here was simply impressive IMO, and put to shame any overachieving fan favorites' accomplishments.

With that said....The Cardinals need to dump him now if they can land a big and fast replacement. RB's only last a few seasons, I think we squeezed the last productive drops out of Edge.

I also think they should deal Q for 2 first round picks or a stud shut down corner, this offense has too many top tier WR's and I personally think Fitz is more dominating where the team needs it: The Red Zone. Boldin is vastly more dominating between the 20's with his punishing style ATC. I love Boldin, but the Cardinals need to move away from a pass happy team and get something for these one of these guys while they can.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I
With that said....The Cardinals need to dump him now if they can land a big and fast replacement. RB's only last a few seasons, I think we squeezed the last productive drops out of Edge.

I also think they should deal Q for 2 first round picks or a stud shut down .
:banned:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm getting some stats out of whack and will probably always do so. I mix up Holt and Hood when talking about our secondary too.

One thing I am not wrong on is that Edge will not be a Cardinal by the time the regular season starts next year.

Donald -- didn't mean to insult when calling Edge supporters self-delusional. Got into the heat of an argument, charging ahead, not realizing it really did sound insulting.

I love the certainty.

Reminds me of some of your views on Adrian Wilson, not so very long ago. :D

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am an avid edge supporter. Durable, grinding, pass pro, good hands ootbf , best we have had in AZ, well best we had that fans didn't run out of town too young. What he did here was simply impressive IMO, and put to shame any overachieving fan favorites' accomplishments.

I also think they should deal Q for 2 first round picks or a stud shut down corner, this offense has too many top tier WR's and I personally think Fitz is more dominating where the team needs it: The Red Zone. Boldin is vastly more dominating between the 20's with his punishing style ATC. I love Boldin, but the Cardinals need to move away from a pass happy team and get something for these one of these guys while they can.

WTF? :shock:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The time that running backs last really varies by the player. I believe the average...whatever that means...is about 4 years...however for guys who are the number one carrier it all depends on how many "hits" their body can take.
The Emmit Smiths, Walter Peyton types lasted forever, the Neil Andersons lasted for only 5/6 years and the wear and tear started to show with Neil after 4 years. You can tell when they run with their heads down that they are on the downslope. I personally believe Edge has a couple of years left in the tank...he does not have break-away speed and that did not help our running game. Arrington showed a little improvement, but he is not the answer. Sound like a second/third round possibility for us to go for...my guess is a third rounder.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

After listening to the podcast, I have to agree with Skkorp.