Dune: Part Two (2024)(HBO Max/theaters)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh dude… that says it will arrive Feb 10. I know we’re talking Sci Fi, but unless you’ve got a delorean that travels both into the future and can send things back in time, I’m pretty sure you’re not getting Dune 2 by then.
According to Blu-ray.com there is no release date, so I am sure it’s just a fubar date for the site. They appear to still be letting people preorder. I have seen Amazon do that for pre-order movies in the past.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assumed it meant Feb of next year not this year which is why I say shocked it‘s on preorder already. Notice on the site it says Walmart has already sold 500+already. I wasn’t focusing on the delivery date just the fact it was available already for pre-order. Dude I didn’t create the offer or run the Walmart site.
Oh… but you made it seem like there’s not a long wait to get these movies anymore. Sure there’s a pre-order… but it’s for a movie you still won’t get for 11 MONTHS. Seems pretty normal to me as far as wait time to get a movie. In fact… that actually seems like a really LONG time before you can get a hit movie on DVD. Oppenheimer came out in late July and you could get the DVD by December.

If anything, having to wait until Feb 10th, 2025 to get a movie that came out March 2nd 2024 seems like an obscene amount of time to have to wait to get a copy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Blu-ray.com there is no release date, so I am sure it’s just a fubar date for the site. They appear to still be letting people preorder. I have seen Amazon do that for pre-order movies in the past.

Yeah, that made no sense. I’m betting that movie will be available to own by mid-late Summer.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh… but you made it seem like there’s not a long wait to get these movies anymore. Sure there’s a pre-order… but it’s for a movie you still won’t get for 11 MONTHS. Seems pretty normal to me as far as wait time to get a movie. In fact… that actually seems like a really LONG time before you can get a hit movie on DVD. Oppenheimer came out in late July and you could get the DVD by December.

If anything, having to wait until Feb 10th, 2025 to get a movie that came out March 2nd 2024 seems like an obscene amount of time to have to wait to get a copy.
Sorry, I was sayin in this instance it’s weird nowadays for something to be able to be preordered this early. I don’t recall growing up, when a movie was in the theaters being able to pre-order on VHS wile still in theaters. I could be remembering wrong. In terms of getting your hands on movies compared to the VHS days, it just seems shorter now but it was so long ago. Maybe it was just my excitement as a kid chomping at the bit to get the movie home that made it seem so long. LOL.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was sayin in this instance it’s weird nowadays for something to be able to be preordered this early. I don’t recall growing up, when a movie was in the theaters being able to pre-Oder on VHS wile still in theaters. I could be remembering wrong. In terms of getting your hands on movies compared to the VHS days, it just seems shorter now but it was so long ago. Maybe it was just my excitement as a kid chomping at the bit to get the movie home that made it seem so long. LOL.
Ah. Gotcha.

Oh yeah… the VHS days was another beast entirely. They didn’t even really start selling those to the public until Batman 1989. Just listened to a podcast by someone my middle aged brain can’t remember who spearheaded the effort to start raking in cash on VHS, because for years, they were only selling them direct to stores for over 100 bucks a Pop. Batman then made a mint on VHS and the VHS boom began in earnest but it was almost always like 6-8 months before the biggest movies left the theaters and hit home video.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. Gotcha.

Oh yeah… the VHS days was another beast entirely. They didn’t even really start selling those to the public until Batman 1989. Just listened to a podcast by someone my middle aged brain can’t remember who spearheaded the effort to start raking in cash on VHS, because for years, they were only selling them direct to stores for over 100 bucks a Pop. Batman then made a mint on VHS and the VHS boom began in earnest but it was almost always like 6-8 months before the biggest movies left the theaters and hit home video.
If you find that podcast will you send me the link? I love listening to stories about stuff like that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you find that podcast will you send me the link? I love listening to stories about stuff like that.
Yeah. I’ll look at my old pods I recently listened to and try to find it.

If you’re into movie pods, I’ve got a couple favorites that are killer with specific movie history, stories about how certain projects got made, etc etc.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you’re into movie pods, I’ve got a couple favorites that are killer with specific movie history, stories about how certain projects got made, etc etc.

Awesome. Appreciate it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I've got a few myself. But most of them are frat bros cursing about how bad a movie is -- not a lot of value in that.

I did see Dune 2 last night. Spectacular. I've never been a big Dune fan, am really indifferent about the 84 version and I liked, but didn't love, Part 1. This one, though, I loved. I'm betting mostly because I'm not a book reader.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a few myself. But most of them are frat bros cursing about how bad a movie is -- not a lot of value in that.

I did see Dune 2 last night. Spectacular. I've never been a big Dune fan, am really indifferent about the 84 version and I liked, but didn't love, Part 1. This one, though, I loved. I'm betting mostly because I'm not a book reader.
Exactly how I felt about the original and the new ones.

I would appreciate any good ones you both have. That would be great.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love Blank Check. It’s a series that does Director retrospectives, choosing one director who made a huge hit early and then got blank checks to basically make whatever the hell they wanted for the rest of their career. Each mini-series starts with the director’s first film and goes into detail about everything in it, backstories, casting, stories galore and then they do that again for every movie the director’s directed, in order. One of the podcasters is David Sims, who covers movies for the Atlantic and the other is Griffin Newman, a comedic actor. Both are really entertaining and their chemistry is great.

One note… you gotta like loooooong pods. They range anywhere from 2-3 hours. So they’re entertaining but are chock full of really great inside info.

I also love the Rewatchables. That’s Bill Simmons and his crew over at the Ringer talking their favorite rewatchable movie and breaking them down by different categories that I think are all pretty funny. This is much more entertaining than anything else.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Probably the most professional one I've heard myself is Filmspotting. Usually they look at a major release and then they do a top 10 every episode. I think it's weekly.

Another one is Unspooled, which is more humorous, but it has a comedian and actual film critic talking about one film an episode. They started by doing AFIs top 100 films, but when that was done, they just kept going. The film critic's previous pod was called The Canon, which was pretty good too.

My favorite though is You Must Remember This, which is a movie history pod that is very good. A single person does that one and just talks about various topics back in the hey day of Hollywood. She has a lot of great eps about Bogart, Bacall, Howard Hughes and his actresses, Rita Hayworth, etc...

The Movies that Made Me is another interesting one, where various filmmakers talk about movies that shaped them and their careers.

Of course, there are a bunch that are about a single movie -- like "Inside the Exorcist," which is a shorter "mini-series" podcast about making the movie. They also have Psycho as well as a separate "Inside" podcast.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I love Blank Check. It’s a series that does Director retrospectives, choosing one director who made a huge hit early and then got blank checks to basically make whatever the hell they wanted for the rest of their career. Each mini-series starts with the director’s first film and goes into detail about everything in it, backstories, casting, stories galore and then they do that again for every movie the director’s directed, in order. One of the podcasters is David Sims, who covers movies for the Atlantic and the other is Griffin Newman, a comedic actor. Both are really entertaining and their chemistry is great.

One note… you gotta like loooooong pods. They range anywhere from 2-3 hours. So they’re entertaining but are chock full of really great inside info.

I also love the Rewatchables. That’s Bill Simmons and his crew over at the Ringer talking their favorite rewatchable movie and breaking them down by different categories that I think are all pretty funny. This is much more entertaining than anything else.
I gotta check out Blank Check. That one seems right up my alley.

Never got into Rewatchables. This seems to be sitting firmly in that same area that most movie pods sit in, which is a bunch of no name people talking about movies, but there's nothing that really stands out except that Bill Simmons is a known personality.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have added them to my list. Thanks to both of you. I will check them out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the most professional one I've heard myself is Filmspotting. Usually they look at a major release and then they do a top 10 every episode. I think it's weekly.
couldn't get into this one.
Another one is Unspooled, which is more humorous, but it has a comedian and actual film critic talking about one film an episode. They started by doing AFIs top 100 films, but when that was done, they just kept going. The film critic's previous pod was called The Canon, which was pretty good too.
this one is okay for me. I used to prefer Paul Scheer's other movie pod How Did This Get Made with Manzoukas, but fallen off both of them.
My favorite though is You Must Remember This, which is a movie history pod that is very good. A single person does that one and just talks about various topics back in the hey day of Hollywood. She has a lot of great eps about Bogart, Bacall, Howard Hughes and his actresses, Rita Hayworth, etc...
Oh, this is a REALLY good one. Her like 40 episode breakdown on the role sex has played in Hollywood from the 70's through early 2000s was a really rich and detailed listen.
The Movies that Made Me is another interesting one, where various filmmakers talk about movies that shaped them and their careers.
dig that one too - that's Joe Dante's pod, right? As you said, it's more of films that shaped filmmakers as opposed to deep dives into movies themselves. But it's a fun listen with the right guest.
Of course, there are a bunch that are about a single movie -- like "Inside the Exorcist," which is a shorter "mini-series" podcast about making the movie. They also have Psycho as well as a separate "Inside" podcast.
Also, @Covert Rain Rain if you're interested in the history of Saturday Night Live, I just got into Fly On The Wall, which is Dana Carvey and David Spade interviewing any myriad of guests, most of them pertaining to the show in some way, but a lot of others as well. The episodes with SNL alumns are really fun to listen to.

As for current movies, inside info, breakdowns of the industry, I really like The Big Picture on The Ringer with Sean Fennessey and Amanda Dobbins.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
couldn't get into this one.

this one is okay for me. I used to prefer Paul Scheer's other movie pod How Did This Get Made with Manzoukas, but fallen off both of them.

Oh, this is a REALLY good one. Her like 40 episode breakdown on the role sex has played in Hollywood from the 70's through early 2000s was a really rich and detailed listen.

dig that one too - that's Joe Dante's pod, right? As you said, it's more of films that shaped filmmakers as opposed to deep dives into movies themselves. But it's a fun listen with the right guest.

Also, @Covert Rain Rain if you're interested in the history of Saturday Night Live, I just got into Fly On The Wall, which is Dana Carvey and David Spade interviewing any myriad of guests, most of them pertaining to the show in some way, but a lot of others as well. The episodes with SNL alumns are really fun to listen to.

As for current movies, inside info, breakdowns of the industry, I really like The Big Picture on The Ringer with Sean Fennessey and Amanda Dobbins.
To be fair, I don't listen to any of these anymore on a regular cycle, although I've flirted with getting back into You Must Remember This.

I did like How Did This Get Made, but it got really pretentious and was really all about Manzoukas saying stupid ****.

And yeah, that other one is Joe Dante's pod.

Now, if we started talking about television, I have a bunch of those that I love -- mainly for The Office, The West Wing and the X-Files.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I don't listen to any of these anymore on a regular cycle, although I've flirted with getting back into You Must Remember This.

I did like How Did This Get Made, but it got really pretentious and was really all about Manzoukas saying stupid ****.

I highly recommend This. Her deep dive on 80s/90s sex in cinema was really fascinating.

And yeah, I listened to Made a lot when I first started getting into podcasts, but it eventually fell out of the rotation. That said, I love me some Manzoukas, especially when he comes on other pop culture pods. Dude is a sponge… and often times hilarious:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Along the podcast lines, a YouTube channel that I like a lot is History Buffs. He breaks down the historical accuracy of movies/TV shows. Naturally he doesn't cover every movie but he usually gets to the bigger movies that have some sort of historical tie in to them at some point.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Oh, and I forget if I've posted it here but it's worth a repost even if I have is The Movie Rabbit Hole. It only has 3 videos up so far of a 4 part series on "No CGI" is really just invisible CGI. It looks at what's going on with effects in some of the newer movies.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I highly recommend This. Her deep dive on 80s/90s sex in cinema was really fascinating.

And yeah, I listened to Made a lot when I first started getting into podcasts, but it eventually fell out of the rotation. That said, I love me some Manzoukas, especially when he comes on other pop culture pods. Dude is a sponge… and often times hilarious:
I've listened to You Must Remember This and Filmspotting a lot, but they fell out of rotation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’ll echo ALL of chaps comments. Wasn’t dune fan. Was meh about 84 flick. Thought dune 1 was okay but didn’t fully get the hype. Thought dune 2 was fantastic. Didn’t realize it would be a trilogy but makes sense with everything they seemingly had to cover.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard