Duel in the Desert 2-22-09

HooverDam

Reaction score
Why is it a silly rule? It's an alumni that you either belong to, or don't.... You can be a fan of who or whatever you want but it just seems rather silly to be a fan of a school that you have never attended. Being a college alumni is a representation that one has committed financially and personally to the school. Coming across another individual who shares the same passion, but never put in the same level of commitment is sort of a slap in the face. Attending 6 homes games a year and buying a few hot dogs is not the same as attending classes for 5 years and paying $45,000.

Im sorry but thats absolutely idiotic. What should I do then, not be a fan of college sports? I went to a Division 3 Liberal Arts private school, sports wasn't really a focus there. I'm a Sun Devil through and through just as much as anyone else, and Ill probably attend grad school there some day when I have the cash. I support ASU financially through athletics, I also know and have worked with a variety of ASU professors, just because they didn't offer my major- I can't be a fan. Idiotic.

But hey, I never played or worked for the Suns, I guess I can't cheer for them either.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Im sorry but thats absolutely idiotic. What should I do then, not be a fan of college sports? I went to a Division 3 Liberal Arts private school, sports wasn't really a focus there. I'm a Sun Devil through and through just as much as anyone else, and Ill probably attend grad school there some day when I have the cash. I support ASU financially through athletics, I also know and have worked with a variety of ASU professors, just because they didn't offer my major- I can't be a fan. Idiotic.

But hey, I never played or worked for the Suns, I guess I can't cheer for them either.

you haven't completed grad school?!?! he probably did it in 10 years, but call back Ryanwb when your balls drop. :D

Go Sun Devils, all of us.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

By all means, be a fan... I guess my intent was a little misguided on this. I don't understand how someone can be a passionate fan, mix into the rivalries when they were never apart of the student body. I guess I liken it to never attending high school but going to the pep rallies on Friday afternoon.

Again, it just doesn't make sense to me.... but I am just one person, this is just my opinion.

Also, there is no correlative measure to professional sports, as they are not a learning institutions

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
you haven't completed grad school?!?! he probably did it in 10 years, but call back Ryanwb when your balls drop. :D

Go Sun Devils, all of us.

It took me two years to get through grad school, but not at ASU :)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
sure there is a collaboration - both are big business

when was the last time a highschool game drew millions of TV viewers on a national audience - multiple times a week - you can't package major college athletics with highschool

colleges are selling a product - part of the product is the pagentry

the rivalry isn't on an academic nature - it's on an athletic nature - and as such it's no different than hating the cowboys, lakers or any other team

now it would be a bit weird to me if an AZ native went out of their way to follow St. John Fisher football and developed a hatred for the university of rochester without ever stepping foot into NY

but if they wanted to follow kansas basketball or some other national product, nothing odd in that at all

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
By all means, be a fan... I guess my intent was a little misguided on this. I don't understand how someone can be a passionate fan, mix into the rivalries when they were never apart of the student body. I guess I liken it to never attending high school but going to the pep rallies on Friday afternoon.

Again, it just doesn't make sense to me.... but I am just one person, this is just my opinion.

Also, there is no correlative measure to professional sports, as they are not a learning institutions

Well its not like the school I went to was in the Big 10 or some school that would ever compete with ASU, so I feel its a non issue. My school played in the SLIAC conference, which, no one has ever even heard of.

I was at the 19-0 ASU v Nebraska game, I rushed the field when ASU beat Cal to secure the Rose Bowl, I was there crying my eyes out the year before when UA beat ASU to deny them a chance at bowl, etc. etc. I think I've paid my dues or whatever as an ASU fan.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When I was in school I had Pat Tillman in my statistics class (with like 300 other people), I would see Jake Plummer walking on campus. I guess I just don't understand the passion of associating yourself with something when you aren't immersed into the overall experience (if that makes sense). So I appreciate your devotion to the school and apologize if I seemed harsh.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
do you go to bible study with kurt warner? - if not, can you truely appreciate what he does on the field?!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
do you go to bible study with kurt warner? - if not, can you truely appreciate what he does on the field?!

I assume you are trying to make some sort of point here, but you could have thought a little longer before putting your fingers on the keyboard.....

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I assume you are trying to make some sort of point here, but you could have thought a little longer before putting your fingers on the keyboard.....

he's making the same point you are. except he's kidding.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

if you were a princeton fan I'm sure you could figure it out...............

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Back to the game...it looked like ASU was going to run away with it, but the Cats came back and fought hard. Say whatever you want about Pennell, but at least they play hard under him, more than you can say about last year under O'Neill.

Cats could have easily taken this one with a few breaks, just glad to get the season sweep in basketball. This Devils team is learning how to finish out games, and it'll be interesting to see what they can do in the tourney.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
If they called the constant hacking of Glasser, ASU would not have had the game no sweat. UofA got their breaks, they only have Zane to blame.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I went to Scottsdale CC and their mascot is the artichoke

HooverDam

Reaction score
What the heck is a Gorlok?

You must be registered for see images

Its that thing, of course. Which was made up by a bunch of hippies in the 60s I think. It has the horns of a fierce buffalo, the face of a dependable St Bernard and the paws of a speeding cheetah. It represents the highest abilities in strength, speed and stamina, but all with in the bounds of fair play.

I cant believe I remember the nonsense blurb about the Gorlock, but there you have it. It was named such because the school was on the corner of Gore and Lockwood street.

But anyhow, back to your regularly scheduled ASU talk

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Congrats on the win. I really thought the UofA was going to win when they came all the way back but ASU hit some key 3 pointers. I still can't believe Zane missed it at the end.

Big week coming up for both schools. Good luck and maybe the Cats & Devils will meet in the Pac-10 tournament.