Dragic To Stay In Europe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns are still after Dragic, however, they are only willing to offer the minimum for Pargo. See blog by Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic dated August 13th, 2008. I can't believe the latter is true but then Arroyo went to Europe.

Pargo opted out of a Hornets contract that would have paid him $1.08 million this season so he was expecting more this summer. But like how the Suns had hoped Carlos Arroyo would fall into their minimum-offer hands, there is always the hope that Pargo would eventually accept the minimum and a good role with Phoenix.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/30100

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George, how are people supposed to take anything you say seriously when you don't remember anything happening even remotely close to what reality was, whether it was 3 years ago or 3 months ago? The Suns had a choice of getting Josh Smith or Childress? I, and probably most people in here remember clear as day that they didn't have their choice of Smith or Childress, just that the Hawks were surprised we didn't even ask for Childress. And I saw in another thread that in the biggest play of the season this year, something that's still burned in all of our minds from just three months agop, you somehow thought Amare was guarding Finely the entire time on the final play of regulation in Game 1. It's really tough to have a basketball convo with someone who literally has no idea what they're talking about most of the time.

As I recall there were three players in the mix to come to Phoenix and the Hawks were relieved the Suns chose Diaw. Whether the Hawks would have included one of the other two instead of Diaw remains a mystery. So I think George is more on target than you think.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheesebeef
You must be registered for see images

And I saw in another thread that in the biggest play of the season this year, something that's still burned in all of our minds from just three months agop, you somehow thought Amare was guarding Finely the
entire time on the final play of regulation in Game 1.

Since I admitted I did not remember EXACTLY how the play went, I'm not sure I get your point. The bottom line was that Amare was supposed to go out to cover Findley and didn't. My question was was why was the team in a defense that relied on Amare to cover a guard on a switch?

nowagimp

Reaction score
As I recall there were three players in the mix to come to Phoenix and the Hawks were relieved the Suns chose Diaw. Whether the Hawks would have included one of the other two instead of Diaw remains a mystery. So I think George is more on target than you think.

Mainstreet, I really do not recally smith as even being in the conversation, except an ASFN wishlist, it was just childress or Diaw. Smith was the hawks PF(this was before horoford was drafted), and they had him rated very high for good reason. Childress was redundant with JJ as was Diaw as they played the same positions(combo guard).

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
In any case, I remained convinced the Suns CAN play better defense with greater emphasis on team defense plus the addition of Barnes and Lopez.

Even just an incremental improvement by Amare and Leandro could make a difference; but IMHO their biggest problem was weak team defense.

No one doubts that several guys have not done well on defense. My feeling is that individual technique training on positioning, footwork, anticipation, and vision on the ball are crucial. But none of that matters if they don't emphasize rotations, switches, and the like which IMHO was D'Antoni's biggest failure.

Considering the natrue of the Western Conference, having a strong defense is going to be decisive.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i, nor anyone else can recall Josh Smith's name being thrown into the mix as far as that deal was concerned. I think George is wrong, like I think he almost always is (see Amare bringing the ball up the court as Point Center, Al Horford possibly slipping below the huge stiff from G'Town in last year's draft even though there was absolutely zero chance of that happening, or Amare Stoudemire guarding Finley to begin with on the 3 at the end of regulation for starters.) If you can't even remember a play that happened only three months ago which was arguably the biggest play sticking a dagger into this team, why would you think he was more on target about something that happened 3 years ago?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[/I]

Since I admitted I did not remember EXACTLY how the play went, I'm not sure I get your point.

my point is simple. You have a really bad memory. That was pretty much the biggest play of the season (and most talked about as far as Amare's defense) it was replayed over and over and over again, in regular motion, slow-mo, replay, you name it. I'm not sure what "exactly" you have to remember. It was pretty cut and dried and replayed ad-nauseum during and after the game. If you can't remember something that big which happened just 3 months ago, how is anyone supposed to take you at your word about something that happened 3 years ago?

My question was was why was the team in a defense that relied on Amare to cover a guard on a switch?

You're kidding, right? Players switch on picks with games on the line so the opposing team doesn't get wide open looks all the time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i, nor anyone else can recall Josh Smith's name being thrown into the mix as far as that deal was concerned. I think George is wrong, like I think he almost always is (see Amare bringing the ball up the court as Point Center, Al Horford possibly slipping below the huge stiff from G'Town in last year's draft even though there was absolutely zero chance of that happening, or Amare Stoudemire guarding Finley to begin with on the 3 at the end of regulation for starters.) If you can't even remember a play that happened only three months ago which was arguably the biggest play sticking a dagger into this team, why would you think he was more on target about something that happened 3 years ago?

This really does not have anything to do with George so it's nothing personal to me. All I'm saying I remember there were three names bandied about during the trade from the Hawks. I know Childress and Diaw were two of the names but the third name I'm not sure about. I'm not saying it was Smith but I believe it was a younger player. Also it could have just been media speculation about the players involved. Phoenix wanting Diaw certainly made the trade more palatable to the Hawks because they did not want to part with their perceived young nucleus. I just remember the Hawks were relieved the Suns wanted Diaw instead of pushing for one of their other two younger players... not that they would give one of them up. It reality, Diaw was probably the only acceptable player for both sides.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This really does not have anything to do with George so it's nothing personal to me. All I'm saying I remember there were three names bandied about during the trade from the Hawks. I know Childress and Diaw were two of the names but the third name I'm not sure about. I'm not saying it was Smith but I believe it was a younger player. Also it could have just been media speculation about the players involved. Phoenix wanting Diaw certainly made the trade more palatable to the Hawks because they did not want to part with their perceived young nucleus. I just remember the Hawks were relieved the Suns wanted Diaw instead of pushing for one of their other two younger players... not that they would give one of them up. It reality, Diaw was probably the only acceptable player for both sides.

nothing personal with you Main. I just think the idea that George with his contradictory statements and made up facts is just further from the mark on this issue than I or Gimp or Ouchie are.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing personal with you Main. I just think the idea that George with his contradictory statements and made up facts is just further from the mark on this issue than I or Gimp or Ouchie are.

Like I said this has nothing to do with George.

I do believe there was chatter about one of three players coming from Atlanta in the JJ trade. As I recall the comments were made after the trade was completed and that the Hawks were pleased the Suns wanted Diaw... not that they were going to give up another young star.

Somewhere in Google is the answer. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said this has nothing to do with George.

I do believe there was chatter about one of three players coming from Atlanta in the JJ trade. As I recall the comments were made after the trade was completed and that the Hawks were pleased the Suns wanted Diaw... not that they were going to give up another young star.

Somewhere in Google is the answer. :D

yeah, i remember the same chatter, but I can't remember anyone but Childress' name being thrown out there and with all the certainty in the world, I can say Josh Smith was never part of those discussions.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
U r completely wrong on this one.

First of all, we have Diaw, who is a good offensive player. He actually averaged 14.6 points in the Spurs series, far more than Barbosa, with a very respectable 54.7%. And, ironically, a lot more assists, too.

Second. We DO NOT trust Barbosa to play PG at all! That's why we r here in this thread! By whatever way possible, we r going to get a real PG who can really play the point. That new guy is going to provide off bench offense, in a better way than Barbosa did.

I'm not suggesting we give up Barbosa for nothing! Delonte West averaged 10.8 points and 4.2 assists in last playoff. And he defends way better than Barbosa. U should also check Pargo's stats.

Third. We have been talking about developing young players. Tucker was great in summer league, scored a lot with great efficiency. Given necessary minutes and games to develop, there is a good chance he becomes a decent backup SG/SF. Or, u don't want to see that happen? Keep playing Barbosa for 30mpg and leaving Tucker and Strawberry as a bench warmer?

Fourth. We have been complaining about D'Antoni's 7 men rotation. We wanted to add depth. Barbosa was given consistent 30mpg to reach his 15ppg. IT IS DOOMED to drop, and maybe a lot. His role as main off-bench scorer is going to reduce ANYWAY.

Fifth. In order to win in playoff, we all know what change has to be made to this team. We don't need to remain as one of the highest scoring team in the league. We can afford to score a few points less every game. But if we don't upgrade our defence for a level or 2, we r going nowhere. And we also desperately need to balance the roster.

Sixth. We added Barnes, might move Hill to lead the bench. If so, the new PG + Hill + Diaw, I don't know which team has a bench better than this one.

After all, Leandro Barbosa is a typical fun to watch regular season wonder. BUT, he chokes on big stage. His career playoff stats is just 11.2ppg with 42.4 FG% and 34.0 3P%, look at the figures and accept the facts. More than that, he is absolutely one dimenson, does nothing else beside score. We r lucky there r GMs in the league like him. Sell him if there is something good on table!

as usual you are fabricating stats and making arguments that make absolutely no sense.

How did diaw average "far more" points in the playoffs last year than barbosa did? diaw had 14, barbosa had 10. how about the 82 games of the season where barbosa averaged nearly double diaw's points? do those not count?

How do you expect our new pg to provide offense better than barbosa? Do you really think a guy like dragic is going to come in and come anywhere near barbosa's production in his first year? there is no way in hell. I should go check pargo's stats, huh? his stats in last years playoffs are nearly identical to barbosa's. He also shot a whopping 38.8% from the field and plays defense just as terrible as barbosa. he's older too.

if we trade barbosa for a guy like delonte west, as you mentioned, our bench would suck completely. as a starter west got 11 ppg, so we can assume he'd get about 8 in a bench role,maybe even less. 8 for him, 9 from diaw (last year's regular season number) is a grand total of 17 points per game off the bench. do you really think that's going to cut it? seriously? our bench has always been pretty weak, and barbosa's scoring is the only thing that really makes it acceptable. 16 ppg is double what west would be able to give us, even if barbosa isn't a point guard. west himself is not much more than a combo guard.

Also, Diaw got his 14 ppg in the spurs series playing SF. He was being guarded by wings and guards, i would expect him to take advantage of those situations. if we played barbosa at center, he would get a hugely inflated scoring number as well.

It isn't "ironic", as you pointed out, that diaw averages more assists than barbosa. He is the superior passer, we already know that. barbosa's job is to go out there and put the ball in the basket while diaw's job (at least with D'antoni) was to create offense for others.

wtf do you mean you don't know a team with a better bench than hill, diaw, and whatever pg we get? even the spurs can top that bench with ginobili alone. How about the Lakers bench with farmar, vujacic, ariza, walton, etc etc? that's far superior to a 3-man combo of diaw, hill, and a backup pg. On top of that, there is almost no chance barnes starts over hill. probably none whatsoever. Part of hill coming here was the guarantee of starter's minutes which is what he deserves anyway. another better bench would be the pistons. Boston got a solid contribution from their bench last year, even.

okay so we need defense like you say, so what? barbosa doesn't play defense but as i stated earlier that is not his job. but you're a smart guy, let's do what you think is right. Let's ship out players who can't play defense. good bye nash, good bye amare, good bye injured Hill. You can't play defense so we can't have you on this team.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
as usual you are fabricating stats and making arguments that make absolutely no sense.

How did diaw average "far more" points in the playoffs last year than barbosa did? diaw had 14, barbosa had 10. how about the 82 games of the season where barbosa averaged nearly double diaw's points? do those not count?

How do you expect our new pg to provide offense better than barbosa? are you totally incapable mentally? Do you really think a guy like dragic is going to come in and come anywhere near barbosa's production in his first year? there is no way in hell. I should go check pargo's stats, huh? his stats in last years playoffs are nearly identical to barbosa's, moron. He also shot a whopping 38.8% from the field and plays defense just as terrible as barbosa. he's older too.

if we trade barbosa for a guy like delonte west, as you mentioned, our bench would suck completely. as a starter west got 11 ppg, so we can assume he'd get about 8 in a bench role,maybe even less. 8 for him, 9 from diaw (last year's regular season number) is a grand total of 17 points per game off the bench. do you really think that's going to cut it? seriously? our bench has always been pretty weak, and barbosa's scoring is the only thing that really makes it acceptable. 16 ppg is double what west would be able to give us, even if barbosa isn't a point guard. west himself is not much more than a combo guard.

Also, Diaw got his 14 ppg in the spurs series playing SF. He was being guarded by wings and guards, i would expect him to take advantage of those situations. if we played barbosa at center, he would get a hugely inflated scoring number as well.

It isn't "ironic", as you pointed out, that diaw averages more assists than barbosa. He is the superior passer, we already know that. barbosa's job is to go out there and put the ball in the basket while diaw's job (at least with D'antoni) was to create offense for others.

wtf do you mean you don't know a team with a better bench than hill, diaw, and whatever pg we get? even the spurs can top that bench with ginobili alone. How about the Lakers bench with farmar, vujacic, ariza, walton, etc etc? that's far superior to a 3-man combo of diaw, hill, and a backup pg. On top of that, there is almost no chance barnes starts over hill. probably none whatsoever. Part of hill coming here was the guarantee of starter's minutes which is what he deserves anyway. another better bench would be the pistons. Boston got a solid contribution from their bench last year, even.

okay so we need defense like you say, so what? barbosa doesn't play defense but as i stated earlier that is not his job. but you're a smart guy, let's do what you think is right. Let's ship out players who can't play defense. good bye nash, good bye amare, good bye injured Hill. You can't play defense so we can't have you on this team.
Other than the bolded statement i'd say that was a solid post AWill.;)

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
This is more about getting a capable backup PG to give Nash more rest than replacing Barbosa's scoring or playing time entirely. LB will be here next year (I hope) and get the majority of his minutes at SG. He's a heck of a scorer but lacking as a PG and on defense.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
This is more about getting a capable backup PG to give Nash more rest than replacing Barbosa's scoring or playing time entirely. LB will be here next year (I hope) and get the majority of his minutes at SG. He's a heck of a scorer but lacking as a PG and on defense.

IMHO, their first priority with Leandro is to get him to play better defense:

1. Footwork
2. Positioning
3. Rotations
4. Discipline (not so much gambling)

Given a choice between teaching him to be a PG alynd teaching him defense, I think they have decided to focus entirely on the latter.

BTW, I see no reason why Leandro cann't be a good defender. Physically, he has long arms, is very fast, and is a lot stronger than when he first came into the league (For example, he is listed at 202 pounds by nba.com. and Strawberry is at 201 pounds). Unlike Nash who is much lighter, slower, and has a lot less length, Leandro does not have the physical limitation. But Nash does what he can within his physical limitations.

nowagimp

Reaction score

How do you expect our new pg to provide offense better than barbosa? are you totally incapable mentally? Do you really think a guy like dragic is going to come in and come anywhere near barbosa's production in his first year? there is no way in hell. I should go check pargo's stats, huh? his stats in last years playoffs are nearly identical to barbosa's, moron. He also shot a whopping 38.8% from the field and plays defense just as terrible as barbosa. he's older too.

I can agree on most of this, except the tenor(shouldnt call people morons if you are grown up). But one area I disagree about is this:

"Also, Diaw got his 14 ppg in the spurs series playing SF. He was being guarded by wings and guards, i would expect him to take advantage of those situations. if we played barbosa at center, he would get a hugely inflated scoring number as well".

I distinctly remember the discussion that POPs didnt want oberto on diaw as Boris is too quick for his big guys(other than TD), the wings are too small, its pick your poison and POPS decided the better choice was the bigger wings(finley udoka). The history is that Diaw made his MIP year by feasting on slower '4's and 5's, not 3's. Diaw is a good player when he starts, not so good when he doesnt. A playmaker like Diaw needs space and shooters to operate and when either nash or bell are out, the suns outside shooting just plain stinks. I suspect that this is the reason for Diaws ineffectiveness in the second unit, spacing.

Pargo is not going to replace LB's offense, but he is a better(smarter) defender and has a better A/TO ratio. Also pargo shoots the same in the regular season and the post season(39%), while LB dropped from 46% to 34.5% FG's. Pargo shot 35% from 3 in the postseason, while LB shot 22% from 3 pt range. This low shooting pct in the post season has been a problem for LB, hope he makes an adjustment. Pargo also defended Parker better than LB, not even that close. LB just cant seem to stay in front of TP and doesnt know how to(or just doesnt) fight through the screens. Also, LB just gets caught flat footed too much on defense on the dribble penetration. For a guy that is so fast its almost incomprehensible that he cant stay in front of most of his defensive assignments. I'd like for the suns to pick up pargo, but not at the expense of Diaw or LB as they are both better players.

P.S. The suns bench has been terrible over the last 4-5 years, Im LOL that someone thinks it could be the best with one FA signing and a draft pick now!

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Other than the bolded statement i'd say that was a solid post AWill.;)

well i suppose there is a chance barnes will start, i was wrong there. but i, personally, believe that a guy like barnes is more valuable off the bench because of the energy/hustle/passion factor. I think hill will command more defensive attention from other teams, so guys like nash will get open looks a little more often. But then again, barnes is the superior defender and can put pressure on some of the less athletic defenders in the league.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea how Porter will manage his personnel. My guess is that he will experiment for a while and see how different combinations work together.

My feeling is that a lot of people underrate just how good Hill is. Doc Rivers said he thought the Suns should be described as having a "big Four" suggesting Hill should be included with Amare, Nash, and Shaq. Hill is very good ball handler for a wing, a better than solid defender, good rebounder, and better than solid defender. As the 4th option, he is a great plus.

I agree that Barnes looks to be another energizer off the bench. I honestly don't know how well he'll play, but IMHO he'd really have to jump his production even from two years ago to force his way into the starting lineup. It's not that I think Barnes won't produce, just that Hill is so quietly effective.

Right now I think Diaw will be used to backup Amare, although when playing with Barnes it may be they'll alternate roles on defense since Barnes is likely to be the better rebounder.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
This is to Irish only.

Although it is premature to guess what Porter will do, I would suggest the following things.

With the players we added, especially Lopez, Barnes, and Dragic, some of our key players will see their minutes reduced. It is good for old guys like Nash, Shaq, Hill, will improve their efficiency. But Porter might have a tough job to manage Diaw and Barbosa's minutes and their production.

For Barnes. Hill's minutes will and must be limited to 20-25 range, the lowest among the other starters. And, he will probably play a part of his minutes with our second unit, as we have discussed, we need him there for many reasons. So, we will see Barnes play a lot of his minutes with starters. Who starts as SF is actually irrelevant.

Talking about Barnes production, I assume u mean points. We hope he can do what Posey did for Miami and Boston, so we don't really ask him to score much. I'm sure u know how poor Posey's PPG were in both of his championship run (7.3 and 6.7). If Barnes does return to his level of 06-07, 9.8ppg in 23.9mpg, I would consider it a bonus.

About Diaw, we all agree the best position for him is 4-5. I bet Porter will still go small, every game, 10-15 minutes, or more when matchup favor us. The main weakness of small ball is D. Now, we added (or will add) a decent PG who can defend, an experienced wing defender (Barnes, who is very familiar with small ball), and 2 young defence oriented athletic bigs.

Consider a small line up of: Dragic (DJ Strawberry) + Barbosa + Hill (Barnes) + Barnes (Amundson) + Diaw. Compare to old time, this group have much better D, fresh and young legs, energy, physical and hustle. Diaw should perform well as offensive anchor. So should Barbosa.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
No, we don't all agree that best position for Diaw is 4-5.
Diaw is a small forward, and best position for him is small forward.

I'd say we are split on this. My suspicion is that this whole deal will get sorted out in training camp. Barnes had a bad year last season and has to prove he will return to his 2006-07 level. It was a great signing, but I'm not sure I know he'll be everything we want.

I think that Diaw will eventualy end up at SF, but maybe not until Hill retires. I think he'll back up Amare with a huge drop in minutes into the teens. I expect there will be intense competition and Boris will not be able to return to his passive style. For him, worst case is that Amundson gets into the mix.

I could see Diaw ending starting as SF in one scenerio or drop out of the rotation in another. IMHO, it's all up to him.

As for small ball, it is even more up in the air. I'm sure we'll see some but nothing like under D'Antoni. I think it is another thing which will depend on training camp.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
No, we don't all agree that best position for Diaw is 4-5.
Diaw is a small forward, and best position for him is small forward.

Haha, OK. Just, it appears Porter and Kerr don't agree with u, as the signing of Barnes indicates so.

It is still possible for Diaw to play a lot of minutes at 3, since Hill and Barnes both can be moved to 2. A still in prime Bell, together with the new PG we r adding, that would mean few minutes left for Barbosa ...

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Haha, OK. Just, it appears Porter and Kerr don't agree with u, as the signing of Barnes indicates so.

It is still possible for Diaw to play a lot of minutes at 3, since Hill and Barnes both can be moved to 2. A still in prime Bell, together with the new PG we r adding, that would mean few minutes left for Barbosa ...

Bell is better suited to play fewer minutes to be most effective. Playing 40+ minutes wears him out. The supposed Manu stopper wasn't much of it last year.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Irish, Porter played a lot of gun & run in Milwaukee, so it's safe to assume he would do the same here when the situation fits. Plus, we haven't trade any core player of the D'Antoni era, so I don't think a complete change of style is going to happen.

Their is definitely competition at SF. Diaw is in the mix. Maybe even Tucker. But Barnes is somehow in favor.

Barnes averaged 4.4rpg in just 19.4mpg in his very down season. Physically, he has the ideal size and quickness for SF. The key for him to crack rotation will be 3p shooting. He is a shooter with over 1/3 of FG attempts from 3p line. If he can make more than 36% of them, he will for sure get 20mpg there.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Irish, Porter played a lot of gun & run in Milwaukee, so it's safe to assume he would do the same here when the situation fits. Plus, we haven't trade any core player of the D'Antoni era, so I don't think a complete change of style is going to happen.

Their is definitely competition at SF. Diaw is in the mix. Maybe even Tucker. But Barnes is somehow in favor.

Barnes averaged 4.4rpg in just 19.4mpg in his very down season. Physically, he has the ideal size and quickness for SF. The key for him to crack rotation will be 3p shooting. He is a shooter with over 1/3 of FG attempts from 3p line. If he can make more than 36% of them, he will for sure get 20mpg there.

Oh, this team will not radically change their style with Gentry in charge of their offense. I do think they will avoid taking as many contested early offense shots, but they will run.

However, it is not necessary to play small ball to run. Quick outlet passes by Shaq can get them going just as well as having five sprinters. If anything, having Shaq in the lineup will eliminate the paradox of having Marion (the Suns best rebounder) also being their finisher on the break.

I have no clue as to whether Barnes will find his three point shot. My guess is that he will get more open looks with the Suns because the Suns have a vastly better inside game than the Warriors.

Last year the Warriors had 29.5% of their shots were for three compared to the Suns 26%. Teams geared up to defense them and they hit only 34.8% of them. The Suns shot 421 fewer three point attempts, but hit 39.3% and had only 67 fewer made threes. Some of this may be better shooters, but Nash does generate a lot of open looks.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz