trying to get on the same page re: Goran Dragic

Reaction score
I have been told here that Goran Dragic "stabbed the Suns in the back twice" and I therefore have reason to dislike him. Really? According to my possibly wrong information, he had an understandable reason to give up on his situation and ask for a trade.

The problem is that in response to making Isaiah Thomas start (I'll say later whom I always blamed for that bad decision), Goran Dragic was made to play small forward. That was a blatantly stupid decision, since he is much too small for that and it was begging to wear him down and possibly injure him; and he eventually had enough. (If you want to use a multi-guard lineup like the Barkley-era Suns were famous for, you can't expect to use all point-guard-sized guards; at least one must be a swingman. That's why Barkley's teams could do it--Majerle was big enough.)

This other "stab in the back" that Dragic allegedly issued: I haven't heard of it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He demanded that the Suns trade Thomas (despite the fact the Suns were playing very very well with the lineup), the Suns agreed and DID trade Thomas, entirely to appease Dragic... Dragic then said... "nah, I want out anyway".

He demanded that we break up a team that was winning because he, selfishly, didn't want to make any sort of sacrifice, the Suns did exactly what he asked, then he went ahead and forced the issue. It was a gutless move that screwed the franchise over hard.

Furthermore, while he was sitting there claiming that his beef was that he wanted to be the primary ball handler, his list of teams he was willing to go to betrayed the truth. He was only willing to go to the Lakers (who still had Kobe), the Heat (who had Wade) or the Knicks, who were putrid. It was all about going to a big market, and he blew up our team on his way out.

And further furthermore, we also bent over backwards to sign his worthless brother who wasn't remotely an NBA prospect, then he whined when his brother didn't get minutes.

Dragic is one of the most two faced turds that has ever befallen this franchise.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You'll find that there are two camps and they tend to feel strongly about their respective positions on Dragic. In my opinion, he was not treated fairly by McD, who destroyed that relationship beyond repair. Bledsoe and IT were clearly his guys, while Dragic got shafted over and over again. Had I been treated that way, my ass would have demanded a trade too. Dragic remains one of my favorite Suns of all time. Great kid, good player.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There’s a third camp who really doesn’t care either way and has wiped that entire awful period of Suns history from memory.

Thats my camp. You're either scoring points for the Suns. Or I just don't give a ****.
I did like Dragic! I still do. I just don't give a **** where his heads at. He could go titleless for the rest of his career and I wouldn't even think about it unless he was a SUN.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats my camp. You're either scoring points for the Suns. Or I just don't give a ****.
Especially because in Goran’s best years, we never amounted to Jack squat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in this camp
I'm in this camp most of the time, until someone says something like "sign Goran, he still has game left". For the most part he never crosses my mind. I try to save my dislike for dirty players, which he isn't, or just plain bad people, which he isn't. But I have no desire to watch him in a Suns uniform ever again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You'll find that there are two camps and they tend to feel strongly about their respective positions on Dragic. In my opinion, he was not treated fairly by McD, who destroyed that relationship beyond repair. Bledsoe and IT were clearly his guys, while Dragic got shafted over and over again. Had I been treated that way, my ass would have demanded a trade too. Dragic remains one of my favorite Suns of all time. Great kid, good player.

Don't make demands or profess loyalty unless you mean it. Goran's trade ask would have been one thing if it was only asking out... sure, IMO it would have been a ****** thing to do because the team was clearly far better than it had been, he just didn't want to sacrifice. But he demanded that they break up the team to appease HIM, they DID, then he still demanded out.

Blows my mind that people excuse that part. The Suns "screwed" him, as a result improving the team, then, at his request they dumped their best player to soothe Dragic's ego... and then... once the team had cut off it's nose to spite it's face, he changed his mind and demanded a trade... but only to one of 3 major markets.

**** him... I cannot emphasize it enough... **** that duplicitous pile of ****.

I find it very satisfying that he did the same crap to the Raptors only to end up in a vastly shittier situation this year.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That juggernaut 13-14 team again? One our best in history! Cmon dude move on. Read up on the 92-96 Suns ...lots of fun and heartache

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That juggernaut 13-14 team again? One our best in history! Cmon dude move on. Read up on the 92-96 Suns ...lots of fun and heartache

I don't need to read up on them. When I was a kid I worshiped KJ, my parents talk about me sitting in the driveway after game 6 in '93, despondent. I'd spend months reenacting big moments in that playoffs... I KNEW they were going to win. As a kid, the early 90s Suns probably are responsible for me being agnostic.

That 2014/15 team wasn't a world beater, but if the Suns had a Judas... Dragic was their man.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m in the fourth camp that doesn’t really care but doesn’t need to forget. There was enough dirt in that era to go around. There were times when I would have supported a reunion but at this point there’s no point.

Side note: why not ask these questions in the actual conservations being referred to, instead of having like 10 new threads?

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been told here that Goran Dragic "stabbed the Suns in the back twice" and I therefore have reason to dislike him. Really? According to my possibly wrong information, he had an understandable reason to give up on his situation and ask for a trade.

The problem is that in response to making Isaiah Thomas start (I'll say later whom I always blamed for that bad decision), Goran Dragic was made to play small forward. That was a blatantly stupid decision, since he is much too small for that and it was begging to wear him down and possibly injure him; and he eventually had enough. (If you want to use a multi-guard lineup like the Barkley-era Suns were famous for, you can't expect to use all point-guard-sized guards; at least one must be a swingman. That's why Barkley's teams could do it--Majerle was big enough.)

This other "stab in the back" that Dragic allegedly issued: I haven't heard of it.

File this under who cares. We are in the middle of a playoff run. This might be a good topic for the Summer, maybe after we are done debating whether Bayard Forest was a better rebounder than Jeff Cook.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why are you in here trying to start disagreements and the like?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a third camp who really doesn’t care either way and has wiped that entire awful period of Suns history from memory.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
No strawmen, please. Nobody said the 13-14 team was a juggernaut.

However, I will say the 2013-14 team was inspiring, and will not take that back. Before it failed to make the playoffs (and you can bet your life it would have, with one less injury), I would have said that of all the Suns teams I've ever seen, I would have called it the we-believe Suns team.

(Because you can see that I got emotionally invested in that Suns team, I'll drop a hint of one of the main reasons I left fanhood. I came to suspect that Suns management never strongly supported the 2013-14 team, and I resent that.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Say...unless there is one and I haven't seen it yet, would the moderators consider making a sub-forum for Suns "historical" posts? Someone already whined about my discussing things that happened before the current playoffs, and making a sub-forum for that would solve the problem.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say...unless there is one and I haven't seen it yet, would the moderators consider making a sub-forum for Suns "historical" posts? Someone already whined about my discussing things that happened before the current playoffs, and making a sub-forum for that would solve the problem.
No

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like George O’Brien is back to me. He was this board’s equivalent of Mitch over on the Cards board.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
That's okay with me. It would have been for the complainers' benefit, not mine.

The "off-topic" posts about other times in Suns history that interest me will continue as I feel like bringing them up. I definitely will not confine my interest to whatever games are currently in progress. I have learned things I didn't know, and I thank various people for that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, my name isn't George O'Brien. Or Mitch.
Have you considered just starting one thread to talk about these questions and issues you have about the Suns of past years? I think it would draw interest and make the board a cleaner read.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave