Draft Is cool, but free agency is first.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Ertz should be near the top of the re-sign list. Use the money saved by letting Green go. 3 years is the proper length. Hoping we get him for 8 million per.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people are kidding themselves if they think ertz is only a slightly better receiving option than maxx. And I love me some maxx. But were we to replace ertz with maxx this year I don’t think there’s a snowballs chance in he-l-l maxx comes close to replicating ertz’s numbers.
Not to mention you’re depending, yet again, on a dude coming a torn ACL, to replace a very productive player in Ertz, giving us a legit weapon at TE for the first time in decades.

But hey... hoping that Gardeck coming off an ACL could part make up for the loss of Reddick worked out great, right?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is probably 3 years. Plenty of time to find someone to replace him without creating a huge cap hole for years. Hell, you can grab a run blocking TE if you want a run blocker so bad. I just know that Kyler needs reliable weapons and Ertz is that as well as being a better run blocker than AJ Green and Christian Kirk.

We are in a spot because we have a roster full of expensive vet players and a young QB who is struggling. If I can re-sign a vet player who offers consistency in the passing game and size in the run game, I am going with that.

We have a run blocking tight end that was on track for 820 yards before injury that was costing $3m and should cost no more this time.

I'd love to see Ertz and Williams together but if I had to chose one I'd chose Williams for $3m. By the time FA roles around they should know how Williams knee is and if he is on track.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We have a run blocking tight end that was on track for 820 yards before injury that was costing $3m and should cost no more this time.

I'd love to see Ertz and Williams together but if I had to chose one I'd chose Williams for $3m. By the time FA roles around they should know how Williams knee is and if he is on track.
Nonsense. He was on pace for 656 yards and 3 TDs before his injury.

If you want to take the last 5 games of the regular season, Ertz was on pace for over 1000 yards.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nonsense. He was on pace for 656 yards and 3 TDs before his injury.

If you want to take the last 5 games of the regular season, Ertz was on pace for over 1000 yards.

No, your counting game 5 where he only played 1Q before injury. That game doesn't count.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I think people are kidding themselves if they think ertz is only a slightly better receiving option than maxx. And I love me some maxx. But were we to replace ertz with maxx this year I don’t think there’s a snowballs chance in he-l-l maxx comes close to replicating ertz’s numbers.

I don't know man. Based on what I can see in the game logs, before Dhop went out (which is important) in four full games, Williams was averaging a little under 4 catches a game. Ertz averaged something like a little over five per game for us, a lot of that with our WR1 on the sidelines. But if you want to type like Ertz is vernon davis, fine.

But you know as well as I do that blocking is critical for a TE, and Williams is significantly better than Etrz. At least he was.

Again, not saying I don't want Ertz back for the right price. He's a a gzillion times better than Daniels (sorry Darrell), and two TE sets with Ertz and Williams would be awesome.

But Williams was a big reason why the engine was going in the early part of the season. Sucks that SF defender went at his knees like that.

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Maxx quite a bit for the blocking and nastiness he brings, and he has done well with his limited receiving opportunities. Watching Darrell Daniels run that TE screen straight into a defender when he had 10 yards of blocking to the inside was painful.

I think we do need to run more 2 TE sets. We need to surround Kyler with power sets and large targets as those two things complement his game. I can only imagine what Shanahan would be doing with Kyler and that tough defense. Probably winning the Superbowl.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need to shift away from free agency and fix our drafting issues. The amount of picks teams like the Bengals have hit on compared to us makes me sick to my stomach.

Not just the players but the positions themselves. Inside linebacker is not an impactful enough position to be spending first round draft picks. They don't carry you through the playoffs. You could sign two middling veteran inside linebackers and do just fine.

What you can't win without is pass rushers and offensive weapons. Who is the last decent pass rusher Keim drafted? Golden (average)? Reddick, who he drafted to play Inside?

Who is the last decent WR he drafted? Michael Floyd? No, I think that was the last guy. I like Rondale Moore but you can't keep drafting small slot guys. That's not how you win.

Keim is just a total joke and has no idea how to build a football team. Nearly 10 years of drafting and our roster is still papered over with aging, injured veterans on 1 year deals every single year with no young depth because he sucks so badly at drafting.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've now gone from Williams being a better blocker to Ertz can't block. :shrug:

Well. Using the only measurement available to me, and based on them being judged by the same measures, PFF says Maxx has a 72 run blocking grade and Ertz has a 46.9 run blocking grade.

His run blocking grade was 67th out of 74 eligible tight ends.

If they are going to use Ertz like a WR2 and give him 7-8 targets a game then I can live with paying him say $7m per year. But we don't do that. He averaged 4-5 before Nuk went out, same as Maxx was getting. If that continues, which it probably will, it simply makes more sense to roll with Maxx for less money.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose