Draft Is cool, but free agency is first.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Off the top, I feel like I am still on board with this for the offense.

1 - Colt McCoy 2yrs - 3 mil.
2 - Zach Ertz 3yrs - 9 mil.
3 - James Conner 2yrs - 10 mil.
4 - Chase Edmonds 3yrs - 12 mil.

The only reason you pay the RBs is because they are short deals, with a combined low cost, and saves you some holes to fill. Both can also hit value for their contract. 10 mil for a RB room is not bad.

I offer Ertz because he doesn't need babysitting and still has value. I also don't think you should get rid of good players because Kyler sucked at the end of the year. There can't be any excuses left to be made.

Colt is #1 with kliff because he went 2-1 and I have little reason to believe Kyler won't get dinged up again next year.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The only reason you pay the RBs is because they are short deals, with a combined low cost, and saves you some holes to fill. Both can also hit value for their contract. 10 mil for a RB room is not bad.

I offer Ertz because he doesn't need babysitting and still has value. I also don't think you should get rid of good players because Kyler sucked at the end of the year. There can't be any excuses left to be made.

Colt is #1 with kliff because he went 2-1 and I have little reason to believe Kyler won't get dinged up again next year.

Are you actually offering $3m per yr over 3 to Ertz?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you actually offering $3m per yr over 3 to Ertz?

He's made a bunch of money. He gets some security and to stay in Nice warm Arizona not far from his wife.

Maybe 3 is a tad low. 4 maybe more on the money.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Low on Edmonds, way low on Ertz.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's made a bunch of money. He gets some security and to stay in Nice warm Arizona not far from his wife.

Maybe 3 is a tad low. 4 maybe more on the money.
You might be surprised how much he actually gets...

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
One make good contract I’d like to see the Cards sign is Foley Fatukasi. The Cards need an anchor in the center of their D-line. This guy has the potential to be the run stopper they need. He played terribly for the Jets (who didn’t) last season. If the Cards can motivate him, they could win big. They could likely get him for $2mil. Surprisingly, he could collapse the pocket effectively in college. He really has seemed to not get coached very well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You might be surprised how much he actually gets...

Sure. I'm far from unrealistic about FA prices. Makes me chuckle some of the numbers you see thrown around here.

Just saying I don't think Ertz is just interested in money. After spending so long with one team I think it's important to him to stay in one place. I don't think he wants to be bouncing round the league on one year deals.

But sure, wouldn't be surprised if he made 8m.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One make good contract I’d like to see the Cards sign is Foley Fatukasi. The Cards need an anchor in the center of their D-line. This guy has the potential to be the run stopper they need. He played terribly for the Jets (who didn’t) last season. If the Cards can motivate him, they could win big. They could likely get him for $2mil. Surprisingly, he could collapse the pocket effectively in college. He really has seemed to not get coached very well.

Snap. Named him a few times here as someone I like.

He had a good 2020. Down last year but Jets. He was better in 3-4.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler Murray was 42nd in the NFL in rushing DVOA by quarterbacks last season -- behind everyone with eight+ rushes aside from Dak Prescott and Matt Ryan. Yikes.

I actually think he should lean out a bit this offseason, not too much needs to be bigger than rookie year but not as big as last year I think he was visibly slower presumably because he got bigger

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im betting it was way worse than that before the ankle injury.

Its why I had a problem with him running on the play he got hurt. His rushing was trash for the most part during the season at the time.

Its why PFF (I know) had his passing grade in the 90s at the time, but his rushing grades really put in a dent in overall grade at the time.

Rushing got better (at least seemed to me), but the passing got worse when he came back. Odd.

Because he didn't have D Hop most of those games is my theory. Before he got hurt D Hop was in the game so his default was throw the ball, either d Hop or Green who had single coverage because of D Hop. After he got back without D Hop, his default more often was run the ball.

I don't think he was as quick but the speed was still there remember the longest run of his career came after he got back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's interesting but he says he wants to stay in NY and they want to keep him so it's all about money. Generally speaking that suggests you have to overpay to get someone to leave.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. I'm far from unrealistic about FA prices. Makes me chuckle some of the numbers you see thrown around here.

Just saying I don't think Ertz is just interested in money. After spending so long with one team I think it's important to him to stay in one place. I don't think he wants to be bouncing round the league on one year deals.

But sure, wouldn't be surprised if he made 8m.
I don't think he will get only a 1 year deal either...

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Sign me up Harry! This would move the willing, yet slightly over-matched R. Lawrence into a back-up NT role, and would give us a really nice six deep rotation for our d-line. Apologies if I seem over-enthusiastic, but I'll dare to say it's a championship D-line unit with an upgrade to NT.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I am going to sign a offensive free agent. RG Will Hernandez is on the list. WR DJ Chark makes sense as well as Will Fuller.

Yes. Will Hernandez has much more to offer away from the Giants.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I messed up Ertz. 9 mil per year over 3 is what I meant to put.

Edmonds...who knows. Tough for a small back who lacks long speed and has missed games.

Way too much for Ertz and a guy that can't run block. I'd rather have Maxx at 3 mil and it's not even close.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Way too much for Ertz and a guy that can't run block. I'd rather have Maxx at 3 mil and it's not even close.

You are 1,000% correct on Williams being the better run blocker, to the point where, after Williams was injured, we would bring in freaking Daniels on running plays.

I've mentioned it before, but with Williams, you don't have to tip your hand on run vs. pass by whose on the field, because he's effective in either situation. Ertz is a slightly better receiver, but let's not act like he's Kittle running around out there.

I'm thankful for Ertz, and I hope that we find a way to keep him, but it's just ridiculous to assert there's some big performance gap between him and Williams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are 1,000% correct on Williams being the better run blocker, to the point where, after Williams was injured, we would bring in freaking Daniels on running plays.

I've mentioned it before, but with Williams, you don't have to tip your hand on run vs. pass by whose on the field, because he's effective in either situation. Ertz is a slightly better receiver, but let's not act like he's Kittle running around out there.

I'm thankful for Ertz, and I hope that we find a way to keep him, but it's just ridiculous to assert there's some big performance gap between him and Williams.
I think people are kidding themselves if they think ertz is only a slightly better receiving option than maxx. And I love me some maxx. But were we to replace ertz with maxx this year I don’t think there’s a snowballs chance in he-l-l maxx comes close to replicating ertz’s numbers.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Nice idea but might we not be better off waiting to see who they half to cut first?
The names I mention are upgrades that I think we can get for a reasonable cost.
Great input. Thanks!
Do we really want them, if they've been cut in half? lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is probably 3 years. Plenty of time to find someone to replace him without creating a huge cap hole for years. Hell, you can grab a run blocking TE if you want a run blocker so bad. I just know that Kyler needs reliable weapons and Ertz is that as well as being a better run blocker than AJ Green and Christian Kirk.

We are in a spot because we have a roster full of expensive vet players and a young QB who is struggling. If I can re-sign a vet player who offers consistency in the passing game and size in the run game, I am going with that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose