Does This Make Sense?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It has to do with our OL. Based on a small sample size, one PS game, two things stood out.
1. Froholdt played better than what I expected.
2. Hayes struggled.
What if we replaced Jon Gaines at backup center with a vet, Pat Elfein. And move Gaines to second team RG?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It has to do with our OL. Based on a small sample size, one PS game, two things stood out.
1. Froholdt played better than what I expected.
2. Hayes struggled.
What if we replaced Jon Gaines at backup center with a vet, Pat Elfein. And move Gaines to second team RG?
Based on the results posted online, I think left guard scored the weakest with Wilkinson starting, so maybe plugging somebody else in there and giving them a chance to see how they do would be the way to go. But definitely Hayes needs to have something else figured out with him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Based on the results posted online, I think left guard scored the weakest with Wilkinson starting, so maybe plugging somebody else in there and giving them a chance to see how they do would be the way to go. But definitely Hayes needs to have something else figured out with him.
Who on the roster will be better at LG than Wilkinson? I think he's the best of a very bad bunch right now. Wouldn't mind throwing Gaines in there and seeing what he has though.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
No idea...I'm just saying if players need to be shuffled around, LG is where I'd try them before RG.
Ah, I didn't read your text in the full context intended. Right now on the depth chart Elfein is already the backup center with Gaines 3rd string, so you could theoretically try Gaines anywhere at this point and see what sticks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would argue the Hayes criticism is overblown from game 1. 1 sack (one of his first reps) and one crap penalty (Broncos color even said). He got good push. Worked well in pulling and combo blocks. Show outside of two plays where Hayes was a problem.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't read your text in the full context intended. Right now on the depth chart Elfein is already the backup center with Gaines 3rd string, so you could theoretically try Gaines anywhere at this point and see what sticks.
Just looked at the Depth Chart on the official Cardinals site and it shows Gaines at Center #2. What am I missing?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looked at the Depth Chart on the official Cardinals site and it shows Gaines at Center #2. What am I missing?
The current depth chart means almost nothing. Versatility on that OL is what the Cardinals are emphasizing. Listening to a recent interview with Elflein, he said he‘s not slotted anywhere specific on that OL. He can and will play either guard spot & C. I’m curious to see what they do with Jones. He’s only a T, so he doesn’t add the versatility that many in the OL room possess.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Ah, I was looking on ESPN. Not sure if/how quickly they will move to have a rookie displace Daley on the depth chart, but certainly hoping this happens!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would argue the Hayes criticism is overblown from game 1. 1 sack (one of his first reps) and one crap penalty (Broncos color even said). He got good push. Worked well in pulling and combo blocks. Show outside of two plays where Hayes was a problem.
I think I would agree with this. He started really poorly, but played well in the 4th quarter IIRC.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That’s not saying much. The 4th quarter is usually a bunch of scrubs and UDFA’s
He was playing right next to Josh Jones and the rest of the 2nd team OL the entire time. He was no worse than any other 2nd teamer outside of Beachum.