Does anyone have tape on Dennis Johnson and Suggs?

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How do the two compare? Each's strengths and weaknesses.

Suggs 19 reps Johnson 17 reps...interesting!
Suggs 4.8 Johnson 4.8

Hmmmmmmm

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've seen Suggs excel against college competiton. I've seen Johnson show potential and some flashes of excellence against pro competition. But it's hard to compare the two since they were playing at different levels.

Draft Suggs. Bring both into camp, and let's see.

pinnacle

Reaction score
17 is pretty awful for the reps..but having seen dennis johnson at training camp - I thought he had really long arms..which could explain the poor reps...I think Jim O mentioned that DJ has been here most if not all of the offseason working out - so hopefully he is getting stronger..

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
17 is pretty awful for the reps..but having seen dennis johnson at training camp - I thought he had really long arms..which could explain the poor reps...I think Jim O mentioned that DJ has been here most if not all of the offseason working out - so hopefully he is getting stronger..

not much worse than 19

D Pasch

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
not much worse than 19

I've watched tape on both Suggs and obviously Johnson. Workouts and strength tests aren't everything. Since I had the opportunity to broadcast Dwight Freeney's games in college for three years, I can tell you that "get off" is the most important factor when evaluating defensive ends. Suggs "get off" is in the same category as Freeney's, even though I was told Freeney ran a 4.38 last year. They both anticipate the snap very well, and have a good first step. Both players are not that big, but obviously Freeney proved last year that you don't have to be. Dwight played at about 250 in college, and was maybe 260 last year with the Colts. Dennis Johnson has good "get off", but is a step bellow Freeney and Suggs, plus Johnson really has to reshape his body. He looks more like a basketball player.

Hope that helps.

Dave Pasch

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by D Pasch
I've watched tape on both Suggs and obviously Johnson. Workouts and strength tests aren't everything. Since I had the opportunity to broadcast Dwight Freeney's games in college for three years, I can tell you that "get off" is the most important factor when evaluating defensive ends. Suggs "get off" is in the same category as Freeney's, even though I was told Freeney ran a 4.38 last year. They both anticipate the snap very well, and have a good first step. Both players are not that big, but obviously Freeney proved last year that you don't have to be. Dwight played at about 250 in college, and was maybe 260 last year with the Colts. Dennis Johnson has good "get off", but is a step bellow Freeney and Suggs, plus Johnson really has to reshape his body. He looks more like a basketball player.

Hope that helps.

Dave Pasch

Thanks for the post, Dave. It does help.