Do you like the trade?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
i'll add another positive:
Booker is a team leading scorer and go-to guy. but he's not a viable team leader yet. Paul is. Paul was right to challenge the Harden isolation ball in Houston. If Booker defers a little to Paul's floor leadership he'll learn some valuable lessons that will pay off in the future.

but i'm still pissed that Oubre won't be part of our future. Like i was pissed when we lost Amare and Joe Johnson because we wouldn't pay them what somebody else would.
Joe Johnson hurt me more because he seemed to be needed for that team to excel. Amare took a while to learn to play hurt. So it wasn't as bad to me.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Overall, i like the trade. What i'm scared about is CP3's performance from his very last game in the playoffs...time winding down and blows it.

Good thing we have Booker though. I think we have enough continuity to keep the wheels turning, and hopefully this time - a full season of Ayton???
And other western teams have just about restarted their roster, so hopefully we can over come those teams.

Denver most likely loses Grant.
Lakers lose Rondo, who was killing it in the playoffs.
Dallas has a bum KP who cant stay healthy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Overall, i like the trade. What i'm scared about is CP3's performance from his very last game in the playoffs...time winding down and blows it.

Good thing we have Booker though. I think we have enough continuity to keep the wheels turning, and hopefully this time - a full season of Ayton???
And other western teams have just about restarted their roster, so hopefully we can over come those teams.

Yup and OKC rebuilding and Houston likely out too. Replace one of those with golden state and we are in line for the other vacated spot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think getting over the hump actually is?

OF COURSE we all want a championship, but the one thing we've heard on this board and from the team itself is all about getting back to the playoffs. Winning a championship is the long-term goal, no question. But having Chris Paul (or Kelly Oubre & Ricky Rubio) aren't going to get you to that long-term goal becuase they simply weren't going to be with the team long enough. But getting to the playoffs? Absolutely that is the short term goal that is actually easier to accomplish with Chris Paul here.
If that is the case I go back to my original post. Renting a player for more W’s is pointless. It’s like getting drunk, taking someone home that night and wondering why you did it I the first place because there is no future in it.

I don’t think that’s what the team is doing. I think they feel CP3 gives them a shot if they can give him help or this trade does nothing foe the longer term future of the franchise.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

On the plus side we have Booker that should be probably the primary to have the ball in his hands late with the game on the line. Or at least we should be scheming to get Booker the most meaningful shots.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again. I have a simple question. It is not intended as a criticism. I want to know the answer.

Chris Paul is a walk it up the floor pg. Do we slow our team down to accommodate him, or does this team still run and gun?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again. I have a simple question. It is not intended as a criticism. I want to know the answer.

Chris Paul is a walk it up the floor pg. Do we slow our team down to accommodate him, or does this team still run and gun?

I didnt consider this a run and gun team. I mean we drafted a 7’ center recently number 1 overall

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I'm afraid only Monty can answer that question for you. That being said I suspect we would still try to play at a relatively fast pace, but we could also play half court because we have a PG that can create in the half court offense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didnt consider this a run and gun team. I mean we drafted a 7’ center recently number 1 overall
Ayton runs the floor well.

Paul tends to use up 8-10 seconds before the half-court offense even starts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I would say both.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If that is the case I go back to my original post. Renting a player for more W’s is pointless.

Technically wouldn't that apply to keeping Oubre for another year? No surprise, I think you're still a bit jaded from the last 10 years, and I understand that--many of us are. But if the goal is to get into the playoffs in 2021 instead of winning the championship outright (which is CERTAINLY not the case), then you improve to give yourself a better chance. You want get as close to a guarantee as you can get for Booker to make the playoffs. Chris Paul checks all those boxes for the Suns, and IMO more than Rubio and Oubre would. Will Chris Paul lead us to a championship? Probably not, but he can get us closer in 2 years than if we DIDN'T acquire him, that's for sure.

I don’t think that’s what the team is doing. I think they feel CP3 gives them a shot if they can give him help or this trade does nothing foe the longer term future of the franchise.
. Again, I think this acquisition is to satisfy the short term goal of making the postseason. It also can satisfy the next step in the long-term goal of winning a championship. We all really dislike Robert Sarver, but he's no dummy. He knows he has a bad reputation. But that reputation got a huge shot in the arm yesterday. Can't fault him for that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If that is the case I go back to my original post. Renting a player for more W’s is pointless. It’s like getting drunk, taking someone home that night and wondering why you did it I the first place because there is no future in it.

I think getting drunk and taking a pretty girl home for the night is a pretty good night when you’re young. And that’s what this team is. And making the playoffs is like a pretty girl. Is it the girl you’re going to marry? Maybe not. But it’s fun. And you likely learn something from the experience.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I never considered us a run and gun team. We break when the opportunity presented itself but we weren’t anything like SSOL.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I never considered us a run and gun team. We break when the opportunity presented itself but we weren’t anything like SSOL.

Here is an interesting stat to show how much the league has changed. In '03-'04 the Suns lead the league in pace at 95.9 a full 5 points higher than the league average. Last year that would have placed them 2nd to last in the league, just 0.1 better than the Hornets and almost 5 points lower than the league average. (Last year the Suns were 10th at 101.3, well behind the league leading Bucks at 105.1).

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think getting drunk and taking a pretty girl home for the night is a pretty good night when you’re young. And that’s what this team is. And making the playoffs is like a pretty girl. Is it the girl you’re going to marry? Maybe not. But it’s fun. And you likely learn something from the experience.
At least we know this team will share her.
Someone get CP3 onboard

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Don't like it one bit. We gave up too much for too little. Paul is solid, don't get me wrong, but we should've tried running it back, not blowing it up. Paul's contract is bloated as hell and we won't be able to make any moves.

The Suns likely can't make any moves anyway. Paul is the best PG for the Suns since Nash.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Here is an interesting stat to show how much the league has changed. In '03-'04 the Suns lead the league in pace at 95.9 a full 5 points higher than the league average. Last year that would have placed them 2nd to last in the league, just 0.1 better than the Hornets and almost 5 points lower than the league average. (Last year the Suns were 10th at 101.3, well behind the league leading Bucks at 105.1).
To be fair it takes two teams to really jack up the pace. If our opponents played as fast as us back then we probably would have had at least a 105 pace and probably faster.

Though of course part of the faster pace the last couple seasons is the 14 second shot clock reset on offensive rebounds. That actually made a pretty big difference.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically wouldn't that apply to keeping Oubre for another year? No surprise, I think you're still a bit jaded from the last 10 years, and I understand that--many of us are. But if the goal is to get into the playoffs in 2021 instead of winning the championship outright (which is CERTAINLY not the case), then you improve to give yourself a better chance. You want get as close to a guarantee as you can get for Booker to make the playoffs. Chris Paul checks all those boxes for the Suns, and IMO more than Rubio and Oubre would. Will Chris Paul lead us to a championship? Probably not, but he can get us closer in 2 years than if we DIDN'T acquire him, that's for sure.

. Again, I think this acquisition is to satisfy the short term goal of making the postseason. It also can satisfy the next step in the long-term goal of winning a championship. We all really dislike Robert Sarver, but he's no dummy. He knows he has a bad reputation. But that reputation got a huge shot in the arm yesterday. Can't fault him for that.

Keeping Oubre is more about building through youth on the team and building over time. In contrast getting CP3 is about taking a run at it right now IMO. You don't take on his $41.4MM salary in 2020/21 and his $44.2MM player option for '21/22 just to get to the playoffs. That's ludicrous. IMO the team feels that if they can get in, with CP3, Booker and Ayton they have a shot to make a run. I am not saying that's enough or realistic but that has to be part of the thought process.

Also, I am not so sure that making trades verses signing guys who want to come here is a shot in the arm. Especially for guys who appear they are on the way out. The team might have more respect from a competitive standpoint but I seriously doubt this changes many perceptions about Sarver. Now if he continuous to let front office guys do what they need and stay in the background? Yes...perceptions will change. I think it's hard for this guy to keep his hands off but kudos.

It's all fun and games until you find out you got an STD. There have been a TON of examples of short term moves that destroyed the chemistry of the team or just didn't work out. It's sort of like waking up next to that person realizing you had beer goggles on the night before.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Keeping Oubre is more about building through youth on the team and building over time. In contrast getting CP3 is about taking a run at it right now IMO. You don't take on his $41.4MM salary in 2020/21 and his $44.2MM player option for '21/22 just to get to the playoffs. That's ludicrous. IMO the team feels that if they can get in, with CP3, Booker and Ayton they have a shot to make a run. I am not saying that's enough or realistic but that has to be part of the thought process.

Also, I am not so sure that making trades verses signing guys who want to come here is a shot in the arm. Especially for guys who appear they are on the way out. The team might have more respect from a competitive standpoint but I seriously doubt this changes many perceptions about Sarver. Now if he continuous to let front office guys do what they need and stay in the background? Yes...perceptions will change. I think it's hard for this guy to keep his hands off but kudos.
I think it’s relatively simple. This move fast forwards their playoff goal, helps to instill a winning culture and when Paul is off the books we will have 2 stars and 40m+ available for another star.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s relatively simple. This move fast forwards their playoff goal, helps to instill a winning culture and when Paul is off the books we will have 2 stars and 40m+ available for another star.

A rent a player for two years isn't going to have a huge impact on any players on this team over the long haul. Answer this. What impact do you think this has if CP3 moves on, we go back to having a crappy PG and bounce right back out of the playoffs?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What this trade does indicate is that the Suns are in a win-now mode with a 2-year window. That's a little scary to me. I would like to have seen a longer-term squad put together. But maybe that's where we are with Booker in this player-with-the-power league.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

You may think it's ludicrous, but that's the reality. I don't understand how you don't see that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson