Do you like the Chris Paul Trade?

Do you like the trade?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
well, that kinda sucks. I mean, if you’re going to GO FOR IT, and you have the opportunity to max out your cap space and choose not to it’s kind of a half assed plan.

well, let’s hope they find a PF for the MLE.

Based on what I show online the absolute most cap the Suns could have is $19,135,449. That is with no cap holds except for the 10th pick and waiving every non-guaranteed contract.

HTML:
Devin Booker    29467800
Ricky Rubio    17000000
Kelly Oubre    14375000
Deandre Ayton    10018200
Mikal Bridges    4359000
Cameron Johnson    4235160
10th Pick    4033440
Ty Jerome    2303040
Jalen Lecque    1517981
Min Cap Hold    898310
Min Cap Hold    898310
Min Cap Hold    898310
Team Cap    90004551

Salary Cap    109140000

Cap Space    19135449

That leaves you with a team of:

Paul
Booker
Bridges
Johnson
Ayton
Nader
10th Pick
FA 17-19 Mil
Carter/Min FA
Payne/Min FA
Min FA
Min FA

So you are looking at either spitting that 19mil among a minimum of 5 players or giving it all to one player and signing at least 4 minimum contracts. You can knock ~1mil off that capspace if you want to keep one of Carter/Payne or knock ~2mil off if you want to keep both.

Instead what the Suns are going with is:

Paul
Booker
Bridges
Johnson
Ayton
Nader
10th Pick
Carter
Payne
Saric(possible S&T depending how things unfold, small chance to lose him for nothing if he gets a massive overpay)
Baynes(possible S&T, more likely to walk without compensation)
FA 9.25 mil(if they use the entire MLE)
FA 3.623 mil(if they use the entire BAE)

I know in the NBA it's better to have quality over quantity but I really don't feel like any FA in the 17-19mil range this year is worth sacrificing the depth and flexibility for. If we were looking at potential max space and actual had a target worth that money I'd be much more interested in going top heavy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team isn't going anywhere with or without Paul unless we improve the FC IMO. I hope I am really really wrong.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Actually I think this trade makes it 17. If you just hit .333 you’ve likely got a good young team.
Doubt they even use even close to all of their picks. They will probably unload them in trades for good players eventually. Though if they do want to play the long game they can just draft a bunch of guys and just whoever sticks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to complete the equation.

If the Suns could add a power forward like Serge Ibaka this would make the acquisition of Chris Paul complete. As it stands now, it feels like the Suns are three quarters of the way there.

If the Suns want to do it right, add a power forward and they are ready to compete for a playoff spot and perhaps more. I will be extremely disappointed if the Suns do not do more. They have a two season window with Paul. They need to use it.

I don't think you add a player like Chris Paul and say we're done.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to complete the equation.

If the Suns could add a power forward like Serge Ibaka this would make the acquisition of Chris Paul complete. As it stands now, it feels like the Suns are three quarters of the way there.

If the Suns want to do it right, add a power forward and they are ready to compete for a playoff spot and perhaps more. I will be extremely disappointed if the Suns do not do more. They have a two season window with Paul. They need to use it.

I don't think you add a player like Chris Paul and say we're done.

This. It's a waste of a trade unless they can make another move. If not? You just traded away a young player and future 1st for what? For some possible "W"'s that lead nowhere? I have to believe they are not done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This. It's a waste of a trade unless they can make another move. If not? You just traded away a young player and future 1st for what? For some possible "W"'s that lead nowhere? I have to believe they are not done.
That young player was gone anyway. I'm not sure why you are sticking to that. The loss of Rubio is more important, IMO. But not THAT important considering we got Chris Paul in return. And I'm even starting to soften a bit about that 2022 pick. James Jones made a point of not trading that 2021 pick, because a) it allows us to keep that pick in potentially explosive draft, and b) allows us to do whatever we want with the 2020 pick.

It's unbelievable to me that we have been PREACHING for years now that we have to get to the playoffs. Not only to placate our superstar but to get experience to our young guys. We are MUCH closer to reaching that goal now than we've ever been in 10 years. And now you crap on it? Come on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm starting to think the Suns have another move up their sleeve but I'm trying not to get too excited. I don't think Chris Paul wanted to come to Phoenix unless there is a plan in place to win.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We defo need a competent PF this year. Maybe worry about the PG of the future next year? Unless something crazy happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We defo need a competent PF this year. Maybe worry about the PG of the future next year? Unless something crazy happens.

I think the Suns sign a starting power forward in free agency and then add BPA in the draft. They may draft a more ready NBA ready player the way the team is starting to take shape. I really liked Kira Lewis though.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, there are rumors all over the place that the Suns have another move in place. I assume it will either entail the draft pick, or is pending whoever they think they will get (or want) in the draft. Then the rest of the dominos will fall re Saric, Baynes, Carter, etc.

The only thing I am leary of is if there is a bunch of maneuvering to get Bane or some other weird project the FO is obsessed with.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I voted yes although it was a little but unenthusiastic yes. I see the trade going two ways baring major injuries:

1st- paul plays a mostly full season and the sun's get around the 4-5 seed if he plays like last year maybe 3. PG is the most important position for a reason and Paul is a HOF PG one of the best there's been, and the leadership and edge he's going to bring if he's on the court is going to surprise alot of people. Booker will be happy and I fully expect paul to cause atleast a little change in Ayton. This team isnt going to win it all unless they hit on a draft pick as well but I'd put them on par with denver or atleast very close.

The second is more worst case scenario. I'd fully expect them to be a playoff team this year but in the case they don't Booker and Paul may want out. Booker will probably ask for a trade since even when the Front Office swing for the fences they still can't get it done. And sadly phoenix hits the drawing board on a rebuild but even James Jones would get a haul for Booker and possibly jump start a new rebuild with Cade Cunningham and ayton and another top guy in a loaded draft.

So I don't see too many downsides with this trade I'm happy to see them making moves for a change instead of sitting around watching other teams get better

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I LOVE the trade. We need to go to the playoffs and Chris Paul is a stud and a winner. Imagine that lineup. Paul and Booker in the backcourt. Ayton in the middle. Our young bucks on the wings hitting threes and cutting. Paul is a non-nonsense guy (I think) so he'll get the team focused. We'll see how well they work out together. I'm not expecting Barkley results, but we should be in the mix definitely. The team will grow and we'll be relevant. Ah yes, SUNNY!

A bit sad about shipping out Rubio and breaking up the Valley Boyz though, but I'd rather win and be a 50 wins team again.

Last edited:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
A bit surprised to see 50/50 opinion on the trade.

Hope we can keep Saric and Carter.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m bummed that we are losing Lecque. He’s really young so has some things to work on but he is also oozing with potential and superstar talent. I think 2 years we will be kicking ourselves for trading him away.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I’m bummed that we are losing Lecque. He’s really young so has some things to work on but he is also oozing with potential and superstar talent. I think 2 years we will be kicking ourselves for trading him away.

He's crazy athletic but that's about it, I wouldn't worry about letting him go most likely hes more likely to be out of the nba in 2 years then be a good player

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
It's a bit disappointing to give up Lecque I agree, but you have to give something to get something, and at this stage I'd rather have Bridges and Cam Johnson. We had Lecque for a year and he didn't show enough to get playing time so it's cool that he can dunk and stuff, but he has to be able to play team basketball and make shots to get a contract. Honestly is he any better than Archie Goodwin or Josh Jackson? I hope he will be and have a nice long career, but I'd rather have Chris Paul, Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges. It might actually be a good thing for Lecque as I think the Suns are not the best for developing talent to put it mildly. We'll always have the bubble. The best team there ever was.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think superstars, actual superstars like Kobe Bryant and Devin Booker, earn playing time in a year of being with an NBA team.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
If this was a trade just to make Booker happy, that’s a bad deal. The novelty of Paul will wear off and he doesn’t move the needle as far as taking a team to the promised land. Finishes his career without a championship.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's another Archie Goodwin. He can dunk... he also can't pass, shoot or defend.

I am far more worried about Paul's durability and the pick we sent off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave